All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701717 times)

Cyberman

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #473 on: July 31, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »
To JMC - I believe other supermarket chain was Waitrose - offered £6m. Housing would generate £2m, Tesco offered £12m.
Was told this by the chap behind the counter at White's butchers.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #472 on: July 31, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »
miss marple...i understand that the college think they can by pass it ..the point im trying to make is this is TWO different planning men from stockport council saying TWO different things.. its a worry and needs clarification from the head of planning.  They really should at this stage be singing from same song book.

JMC

« Reply #471 on: July 31, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
Blog is interesting but there isn't much counter argument. 

Can anyone confirm what the 2 supermarkets are? Is one definately Tesco?

NeilCorrie

« Reply #470 on: July 31, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »
thanks for putting that link on !   Apparently Tesco do it by car reg recognition , they get to know which of their stores you visit by clocking the reg, so we will all have to stop going to Tesco or black your reg out driving into Tesco Car park

Nice theory Miss Marple, but it's actually done using their CRUCIBLE database.  By presenting your Clubcard when paying for goods, you announce yourself to Tesco, allowing them to track your name, address, purchase history to Tesco.  They then use the ZODIAC tool to do more advanced profiling (like "how many Glossop Tesco shoppers who live in SK6 visited our store during w/c 1st August 2011, and what was their average spend").

If you don't like it, options are : boycott Tesco, shop there but don't present your Clubcard, or the really sneaky option is to swap your Clubcard with a friend in another town in order to screw up their data.

Miss Marple

« Reply #469 on: July 31, 2011, 12:47:07 AM »
thanks for putting that link on !   Apparently Tesco do it by car reg recognition , they get to know which of their stores you visit by clocking the reg, so we will all have to stop going to Tesco or black your reg out driving into Tesco Car park

Cyberman

« Reply #468 on: July 31, 2011, 12:35:28 AM »
An article on the Holmfirth story is here...  THERE IS HOPE!!

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article6873375.ece

Re the phone survey mentioned by Miss Marple in post 457 - I believe I participated in this. A couple of months ago a well-spoken man cold-called to ask about my shopping habits. As far as I can remember, the questions were did I use local stores for my supermarket shopping, and for toys, clothes, fruit and veg, electrical goods and car accessories. My answers were that I do use an out of town supermarket for large items - washing powder, loo rolls, cereals, fruit juice. I usually use Aldi in Stockport because I drive past this on my way home from work. I do not drive past the Co-op and if I did I would avoid it because the car park is a nightmare at busy times (too many Mellor tractors). Everything else is bought locally from the Co-op (I walk there) and local shops. Regarding spend, I'd say 75% is local.

I sincerely hope this wasn't taken as a vote of approval for a new superstore in Marple. If the question had been "Do you want a Tesco Extra in Marple" the answer would have been NO NO NO!

Miss Marple

« Reply #467 on: July 30, 2011, 11:53:54 PM »
Hi can one of you put the Holmfirth article on it's the one where the coop helped the community defeat Tesco ?

sgk

« Reply #466 on: July 30, 2011, 11:46:56 PM »
Interesting analysis (less emotional and less reactionary than we've seen of late in the forum) covering the Marple vs Supermarket Superpowers battle, at Didsbury resident (and CAMSFC alumni) Josef Darlington's blog.

http://www.josefadarlington.co.uk/1/post/2011/07/the-marple-tesco-situation.html

NeilCorrie

« Reply #465 on: July 30, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »
Further to my last post I have just remembered that there is a small connecting bridge with traffic lights connecting Hibbert Lane/Windlehurst Lane.  Is this going to mean that ALL the large lorries delivering to the supermarket will be coming in/out of Marple via Dan Bank/Strines Road?

Yep. I can't see how those 44 foot 38 tonne lorries could make it over that bridge.  Up to 50 deliveries per day.  Could be tricky negotiating around the Marple Stockport Road/Hibbert Lane roundabout too, hence the suspicion that the swimming pool+newsagent would need demolishing and then building a large roundabout using the newly-flattened land.

(size/weight/frequency estimate taken from here)

Maria

« Reply #464 on: July 30, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
Further to my last post I have just remembered that there is a small connecting bridge with traffic lights connecting Hibbert Lane/Windlehurst Lane.  Is this going to mean that ALL the large lorries delivering to the supermarket will be coming in/out of Marple via Dan Bank/Strines Road?

TESC-NO

Every big superstore doesnt help!!!

Mike

Maria

« Reply #463 on: July 30, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »
I live on Hibbert Lane and notice throughout the day emergency services going up and down the road at all hours-using it as a main cut through between both Stockport road and the A6 (Stepping Hill Hostpital). The nearest other 2 roads linking Stockport Road to the A6 are Offerton Road (Dan Bank) and Albion Road (New Mills) about 5miles apart.

I know that the pro Tesco people out there are stating the traffic will not be increased substantially in Marple-BUT IT IS ABSOLUTELY GOING TO INCREASE ON HIBBERT LANE/WINDLEHURST ROAD-And that is FACT.

TESC-NO

Every big superstore doesnt help!!!

Mike

NeilCorrie

« Reply #462 on: July 30, 2011, 08:50:01 PM »
The Marple in Action website mentions "our already congested roads". The roads in Marple are only busy at rush hour, in the morning and mid-afternoon.
OK.  So you're saying that during daylight hours, the roads in Marple are ok between 12:00 and 14:00 but busy all other times.  That sounds fairly congested to me.

A new supermarket won't suddenly mean lots of people coming to Marple to go shopping during rush hour.
Disagree.  The Tesco in Glossop, for example, and is very busy during the evening rush hour (folk getting the week's groceries while they're passing on their way home).

amazon

« Reply #461 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
Hi Lisa at the meeting we had with the Principal and Mr Hubert (finance ) last Wed.  The principle informed all present that, she had two interested supermarkets but that they had a preferred one and  after the governors meeting in Oct 2011 she would be signing with her preferred supermarket.  When asked about issues the college would face re planning regulations her reply was that the colleges legal team had assured the college that they could over come any regulations which would prevent the college from selling and the supermarket from building.  We were all shocked that it had got this far and amazed at the confidence of the principle as she delivered the news.  We had also been informed that the people of Marple had been involved in a telephone poll that showed all involved that a supermarket was what the community wanted.  I have not been contacted have you or has anyone you know been contacted ?
               Yes Over twelve months ago outside mcays lady doing survey .just general questions what would you like to see in Marple super market did get mentioned . [ i am not making this up] Miss Marple .

NeilCorrie

« Reply #460 on: July 30, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
Part of the covenants say;

There are also rights in favour of the Local Authority to
1- use parts of the Hibbert Lane site for purposes of providing adult education
2- use the leisure centre situated within the Hibbert Lane Site
3- use the Youth Club situated within the Hibbert lane Site

I recall it being suggested at the meeting in the park that provided such facilities were provided at Buxton lane this would satisfy the covenant-I assume this is suggested as the Hibbert lane site would be incorporated with Buxton lane.  I construe the above to mean the site i.e. the land-not the building.  It refers to the site being used for adult education-meaning the land-this should also apply to the latter covenants surely?

Is it correct to say the covenants apply to the land/site not the building?

Hi Maria - that's a good question : the college's response to the convenant FOI failed to cover the wording of the covenant and failed to cover the Buxton Lane / Cheadle covenant details.  I've asked them to expand/clarify, see http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/covenants_relating_to_the_colleg#outgoing-143240

Miss Marple

« Reply #459 on: July 30, 2011, 07:12:42 PM »
I agree have you seen Marple Hall students trying to cross down near the school it's dreadful and a wonder no one has been injured.   The emergency services must be horrified by the news of increased traffic, I often see them trying to get past cars queuing on and around Dan Bank..  I sometimes wonder if the people who post on this site even live in Marple, shall we ask Admin  ???