Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 702140 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #443 on: July 29, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »
There are posters that you can now download for you to display in your window or car, that say                     

SAVE OUR COMMUNITY

NO SUPERMARKET ON HIBBERT LANE

PLEASE PLEASE START DOWNLOADING NOW TO TELL THE COUNCILLORS,GOVERNORS, ANDREW STUNELL MP, THE PLANNING DEPT, MS CASSIDY (Principal) Mr Hubert (finance) and whatever
SUPERMARKET THATS SNIFFING AROUND !  THAT MARPLE SAYS NO !!

LETS TURN THIS TOWN RED  !   ;D

Maria

« Reply #442 on: July 29, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
Part of the covenants say;

There are also rights in favour of the Local Authority to
1- use parts of the Hibbert Lane site for purposes of providing adult education
2- use the leisure centre situated within the Hibbert Lane Site
3- use the Youth Club situated within the Hibbert lane Site

I recall it being suggested at the meeting in the park that provided such facilities were provided at Buxton lane this would satisfy the covenant-I assume this is suggested as the Hibbert lane site would be incorporated with Buxton lane.  I construe the above to mean the site i.e. the land-not the building.  It refers to the site being used for adult education-meaning the land-this should also apply to the latter covenants surely?

Is it correct to say the covenants apply to the land/site not the building?

NeilCorrie

« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2011, 11:15:31 PM »
Anyone managed to get Andrew Stunell's view on all this? 

Apart from living locally and being our elected representative in Parliament, in his role of "Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State in the Department for Communities and Local Government" his remit is

• community cohesion
  • building regulations
  • housing and regeneration
  • implementation of the Big Society

...all of which seem to play a part in this supermarket issue.

And he does seem to have an opinion on this, looking at an early day motion last year, where he was one of 18 MPs to speak out against Tesco's Stretford plans.  Regrettably, Tesco won on that occasion>:(

Stretford's action group site remains available at http://www.nomegatesco.org.uk/.

Maria

« Reply #440 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »
Thanks Neil, appreciated.

NeilCorrie

« Reply #439 on: July 29, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »
- can we obtain details from the college re quotes for the development of Buxton lane?

Yes, Maria, you can certainly request those details, suggest you use site http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/.  The college is legally obliged to respond to such requests.  The wording used to request is fairly key, as the college will want to use the old "cannot release at this time on grounds of commercial sensitivity" line where possible.

I've done a few related ones with varying degrees of success.  See http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/neil_corrie

Maria

« Reply #438 on: July 29, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
Forgot to ask:
 - can we obtain details from the college re quotes for the development of Buxton lane?
 - will it genuinely cost £12million? Or is this just to line peoples pockets?
 - can it be done for the £4million offered by the residential developer?
 - If the site on Hibbert Lane is supposedly going to be 2000 sq ft then the site near memorial park (Hanburys?) is more than sufficient and is in fact bigger than what is being proposed-Co-op should release the hanbury site allowing competition thereby negating the monopoly argument.

In my eyes this would be a win/win situation for all parties.

Maria

« Reply #437 on: July 29, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »
I have no real issue with living near a supermarket (used to live very close to the Morrisons in Bredbury) but I genuinely don't think living near the Co-op would be as much of an issue as living near a Tesco superstore-if indeed that is what is planned.  

I am concerned it could end up resembling the Portwood branch-and yes I live on Hibbert lane directly facing the college in fact.  Some of the posts on here re living near a store are a little harsh and somewhat unsympathetic.  If I bought my house with a supermarket there then fine, I am making an informed choice but I didn't.  

You only have to look at the size of the campus site to know it will not be a 2000 sq ft development despite what they say.

The Co-op is situated in the village shopping area-a little different to being right in front/behind/at the side of a residential area-the campus is surrounded by houses.  I bought here for the village life and whilst I will not be swayed re my comments above I genuinely oppose the development as I am concerned the village/community life will suffer and become a thing of the past-also concerned about the carnival and food festivals etc.  The increased traffic outside my house is also a major concern-it is already very busy and we cannot have our bedroom windows open at night in the summer due to the noise-admittedly this will only be an issue if it is a 24 hour store.

It will in my opinion go ahead and I am resigned to that fact but I am far from happy about it and will help wherever I can.  It is a shame but as some other people have mentioned, money talks.

Miss Marple

« Reply #436 on: July 29, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »
Actually Miss Marple i may well send my son to that college next year because theres not THAT much good choice around! Though I think boycotting organisations to show support for a particular campaign is effective I'm afraid if its going to negatively affect my childrens education and long term plans then I wont so please dont ask me to.

And Ditto Belly re comments about Dave.  We have to cut out the emotion and concentrate on facts.. and BOTH sides of the argument.  IF we cant convince them Not to buy it or the college not to sell then it will go to planning and if its refused as implied by the planning officer then the council and i expect a community group as well will be facing the supermarkets expensive top barristers!
Your children will be fine just steer them away from Finance  and Buisness studies  :o

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #435 on: July 29, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
Actually Miss Marple i may well send my son to that college next year because theres not THAT much good choice around! Though I think boycotting organisations to show support for a particular campaign is effective I'm afraid if its going to negatively affect my childrens education and long term plans then I wont so please dont ask me to.

And Ditto Belly re comments about Dave.  We have to cut out the emotion and concentrate on facts.. and BOTH sides of the argument.  IF we cant convince them Not to buy it or the college not to sell then it will go to planning and if its refused as implied by the planning officer then the council and i expect a community group as well will be facing the supermarkets expensive top barristers!

JMC

« Reply #434 on: July 29, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019896/Englands-smallest-town-Manningtree-Essex-loses-3-year-battle-Tesco.html

Yes.  Timeline showing how that council "rolled over" for Tesco is at http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3554.msg16183#msg16183

That link is very interesting. What also is interesting is that there was a group against the tesco and a group for the tesco. I think this could happen here as like i said on another post, several people (but a minority still) i spoke to about the potential new store are in favour of it; mainly for cheaper prices and also as the Coop is seen as not very good.

Miss Marple

« Reply #433 on: July 29, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
REMEMBER THE TWO LEAKED EMAILS. :-[      LETS NOT FORGET  !

moonforest

« Reply #432 on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
Just been talking to a local couple who both feel that having a Tesco would be good for the area because they're sick of the Co-op having a monopoly and charging high prices. They did express a concern about the increase in traffic though. I said that small local businesses would be badly affected but they feel that the small shops are too expensive and that "the competition would do them good".

It's made me wonder what the Co-op's position is on this issue, because they surely must have an interest in opposing the Tesco too.

Miss Marple

« Reply #431 on: July 29, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
Don't tell me its a charity ?  Nothing in life is free, they get monies from us the tax payer to educate the students which will also pay their enormous salaries!  Would anyone now send their child to a college that forgot to apply for a grant for funding this college transformation? I know I wouldn't and the word is spreading. 

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #429 on: July 29, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
Message for Dave.....

Care to enlighten us as to where you live? if it is in Marple at all? Is it anywhere near the planned supermarket site?  Actually I don;t care where you live, I am willing to bet it is not near Hibbert Lane!... It is all very well playing devils advocate and making a good arguement however the more valid arguements are those who are directly affected by this.

Yes I live in Marple, but not near Hibbert Lane.  And I have every sympathy for those who live near the site - in my view that is the one group of people who really do have good reason to oppose this plan, and they have by far the strongest case against it.  If I lived there I would probably feel just the same.  But as I have said before, I am not convinced by some of the other arguments, such as that the development would have a major adverse effect on local businesses.  And I do have a lot of sympathy for the college, which is just doing its best to improve its facilities for the benefit of the community.  

For what its worth, I believe that Dave has put forward a lot of well thought out arguments and that the action group should consider the points he raises and present similar well reasoned responses. Having attended many a public inquiry and seen local action groups shot down in flames because they rely on emotional responses rather than logic or evidence, it often pays to take a step back and view things from a wider perspective.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...