Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 702029 times)

Harry

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
Gordon Brown managed to waste it all when he was the only chancellor in history who successfully managed to  spend his way out of a boom.

I like that. Very good!

Howard

« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »
Mmmm...... Apparently Marple Hall School's buildings were deemed to be not grotty enough to qualify for BSF, so there must be some pretty grotty premises around! 

MHS's buildings were actually sound enough that they didn't need knocking down. They got an extensive refit of wall panels & windows. There has also been a lot of internal conversion; the old lower school/girls' gym was converted into a library for both buildings and the old libraries converted to other uses.

It's not an ideal learning environment but it does the job without having to go to the expense of starting all over again.

Duke Fame

« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »
I am slightly puzzled as to why the college are needing to expand now.

As I understand, it's not about growth, it's about replacing outdated, poor-quality and unsuitable buildings.

As Dave pointed out, the government were throwing money at new school buildings and refurbs.  It's surprising therefore that the college didn't put in an application back then.

I think that refers to the last government's PFI scheme, known as Building Schools for the Future (BSF).  However, that was for schools.  Camsfc is a sixth-form college, which would not have been eligible for any funds from BSF. 

A business I am involved in was supplying kit to rebuilds and many of these rebuilt schools (according to our engineers) were replacing perfectly modern buildings.

Mmmm...... Apparently Marple Hall School's buildings were deemed to be not grotty enough to qualify for BSF, so there must be some pretty grotty premises around! 

Aquinas used Building Schools for the Future monies as did 2 we were involved in Birmingham & no doubt others.  Marple Hall looks pretty slick as a school to me. Essentially it doesn't matter too much, the college is going to have to raise any money it needs from other sources as there is very little funding right now. Gordon Brown managed to waste it all when he was the only chancellor in history who successfully managed to  spend his way out of a boom.

Duke Fame

« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »
Have you got a better idea Duke Fame ?  You know !  Every little helps !

Just saying that the FOI isn't for requests to private businesses, it's for local authorities etc.

I was wrong as it happens, there was a reply. Tesco said 'Thank you for using Tesco delivery service, you can amend your order online'

Dave

« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »
I am slightly puzzled as to why the college are needing to expand now.

As I understand, it's not about growth, it's about replacing outdated, poor-quality and unsuitable buildings.

As Dave pointed out, the government were throwing money at new school buildings and refurbs.  It's surprising therefore that the college didn't put in an application back then.

I think that refers to the last government's PFI scheme, known as Building Schools for the Future (BSF).  However, that was for schools.  Camsfc is a sixth-form college, which would not have been eligible for any funds from BSF. 

A business I am involved in was supplying kit to rebuilds and many of these rebuilt schools (according to our engineers) were replacing perfectly modern buildings.

Taurus

« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »
I have put a link to this website on my facebook page and a brief statement regarding the possible future plans of the college. I have over 2,500 friends on there and I'm hoping it will help get more support and get the word out to Marple residents that might not know about it.

Duke Fame

« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2011, 11:41:48 PM »
Rather suprised that Tesco would bid for a piece of land that's only designated for residential use, so have submitted

You know they don't have to reply

NeilCorrie

« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »
Rather suprised that Tesco would bid for a piece of land that's only designated for residential use, so have submitted FOI to Tesco.

Dear Tesco Stores Limited,

Please could you furnish me with details of correspondence between
Tesco, Turner and Townsend, Walsingham Planning, Cheadle & Marple
Sixth Form College and the council (officers and elected officials)
and within the council with regard to plans for a supermarket on
the existing college site in Marple?

Furthermore, in light of the designation (by the local council) of
the college side as residential use only, what reassurances have
Tesco had concerning the use of the college campus land for
commercial use ?

Yours faithfully,

Neil Corrie

sgk

« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
Am finding it really encouraging to see the campaign start to gather some momentum.  

I'm not particularly familar with Twitter or Facebook, but I wondered whether it's worth people "tweeting" a message along the likes of "#Tesco hoping to build huge supermarket on #marple college campus, see http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/".  Or perhaps admin could create a "http://www.marple-uk.com/notesco" which directs to a "MARPLE IN ACTION" summary page with a link to the forum and details of local councillor / MP contact information ?  And on the facebook aspect, start a new group on there, which people can join, which in turn points them at this site too ?

No doubt there's some other approaches outside the social-media world, like petitions and posters in Marple shops that are worth pursuing.

And finally, HAS ANYONE TOLD BRYCE  :o ?

Miss Marple

« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
Well I have had a really interesting day .  I have emailed all the councillors to ask what they know ? They are still saying that only housing can be built on the college site I do hope so  :-\.   It was interesting to hear that they were already dealing with concerned residents, so at least this Forum has alerted residents.  'Marple in Action' has now joined forces with another group so that's a very positive move !  AND wait for it !!  I have had three voice messages from TESCO !! Asking for me to contact them.   NOW THAT IS 'MARPLE IN ACTION'  !   :D

Miss Marple

« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Thank you Catwoman for a well thought out and reasoned posting - gives us all plenty of room for thought without the hysterics! 
Well said Barbara !

Victor M

« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2011, 05:51:39 PM »
We know from previous posts in this long thread that camsfc commissioned a property strategy from Turner and Townsend, who are a very large, reputable multi-national property consultancy.  That document will have been drawn up over many months, and will undoubtedly have included a comparative assessment of a number of options.  The one now being pursued by the college will not have been arrived at without due consideration.  In particular, T&T will have done detailed work on comparative land valuations, assuming various types of planning consent.

If that is the case why did they not publish it with the minutes of the meeting!

Duke Fame

« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Hi Dave, and thanks for the Welcome.

Re your comments about land values - I'm only saying what I found from High Peak, that land values there for housing use (with pp) are twice as much as retail use - and commenting that this was interesting.

I think the size of the plot is the difference. It's not often that a hypermarket sized plot becomes available, it's that scarcity that makes is valauble.

Duke Fame

« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
Re Victor's point about the college's 'moral obligation to the community', far from not caring about the community that supports it, the college governors seem to me to be doing their best for us, in seeking to provide a decent learning environment for the next generation.

That is one take on it although I think in isolation, the college doesn't really need to consider externalities as long as they safeguard the future of the college being able to meet the needs of it's customers.

I am slightly puzzled as to why the college are needing to expand now. As Dave pointed out, the government were throwing money at new school buildings and refurbs. A business I am involved in was supplying kit to rebuilds and many of these rebuilt schools (according to our engineers) were replacing perfectly modern buildings. It's surprising therefore that the college didn't put in an application back then.

Barbara

« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
Thank you Catwoman for a well thought out and reasoned posting - gives us all plenty of room for thought without the hysterics!