Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 702036 times)

Rachael

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
maybe he hasnt ?

forgive me if it suggests on here he has

Miss Marple

« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
It's a strange old world isn't it because Mr Hubert ( Finance ) Ridge College assured me today that they had not as yet had talks with the LA CE   :-\

NeilCorrie

« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »
Now that the intended land-grab by Tesco/Sainsburys is finally public knowledge, I've posted a FOI request to get minutes of that recent meeting between college staff and our local council.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tesco_or_sainsburys_buying_up_co

Dear Stockport Borough Council,

It is now public knowledge that the local college (Cheadle + Marple
Sixth Form College) intend to sell their existing campus in Marple
to either Tesco or Sainsburys.

Further to my earlier request (ref 4521) could you please furnish
me with minutes of the meeting recently held between the council's
Chief Executive and representatives of Cheadle+Marple Sixth Form
College).

Yours faithfully,

Neil Corrie

If anyone feels the need to submit any FOIs themselves, do note that both Tesco and Sainsburys are subject to FOI rules and have to respond in a timely manner, due to the fact that they often run an opticians/pharmacy.

Any person or company providing general ophthalmic services or pharmaceutical services under the National Health Service Act 2006 or the National Health Service (Wales) Act 2006, is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 respect of information relating to the provision of those services.

Miss Marple

« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »
Marple in Action are in have started  an organised campaign please send me a personal email and I will inform you of details of the next meeting

Miss Marple

« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
Spoke to Mr Hubert (finance) Ridge College Marple who says that he will have to await the principles return from London before he can enter into talks with 'Marple in Action'.  Press running an article on the proposed sell out next week.

waste_knot

« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Hello, I've just joined the forum, having been pointed here by someone raising an FOI on SMBC re Tesco developments. I'm sorry, I haven't had the time to read this entire thread, so apologies if any of this has been said before. It seems to me that there is an urgent need for action and planning on this issue. I'm not suggesting we start a "no" campaign group, but as a resident of Marple I think we must do our best to ensure that the town centre is protected from unfair competition, and that land in Council ownership is used for community benefit, not for private profit.

Is there any organised group dealing with this issue, e.g. the business forum? If so, please get in touch as I'd like to help, if not, let's get something started! The disposal of council land must be subject to council control, so let's start with the councillors and SMBC: first and foremost to ensure any development of the Hibbert Lane site benefits Marple. If the land does get sold, then we must get thoroughly involved in the planning process.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »

Theres a tesco in Glossop and a coop. the shops on the high street dont seem to be closing   
You clearly don't spend as much time as I do in Glossop. There are empty shops and others which are not doing very well at all and are on the verge of going out of business.

Duke Fame

« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »
Dave, I think you are only reading the part of my post about Glossop and New Mills that you feel supports a positive contribution by the potential arrival of Tesco in Marple. This was not my intention and I think it is rare that any local shops benefit from their arrival. I would not want to see Tesco in Marple as I firmly believe that a Tesco would mean the closure of more locla shops.
Mulligans has a for sale sign up and that just for starters !

Not sure you can blame that on Tesco.

Duke Fame

« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
Amazon wrote: 
Theres a tesco in Glossop and a coop. the shops on the high street dont seem to be closing

That may be the case in Glossop which has a strong set of well known and independent shops. People travel for miles for instance to use Mettricks the Butchers. Alternatively you could point to Whaley Bridge and the Tesco effect there. It is also possible that the Whaley bridge Tesco has impacted on New Mills which will shortly have tumbleweeds blowing down the road!! The number of shop closures in New Mills is gathering pace and I for one cannot see a way back for it.

A very good point, and a reminder of the subtle and unpredictable nature of the supermarket effect.   It is assumed by many on this thread that a big supermarket can only have a detrimental effect on local businesses.  It would certainly have an effect, but the effect in some cases may be positive.  The Hibbert Lane site of camsfc is a very short walk from Market Street - closer, for example, than the Whaley Bridge Tesco is to the local shops there. I can see people driving to a big supermarket in Hibbert Lane, parking for free, hitting the supermarket and then walking down to visit specific local shops and/or cafes.

It's the Co-op that needs to worry about this, of course. 

I think you have a rather rose tinted view of how lazy people can be, walking went out with the arc for some. Look at a school gate these days.

The key is three-fold. Parking for free, rates and opening hours. Local businesses could have a late evening and they should organise themselves to get the public to support a late opening. They need to get the council to remove parking charges. They also need to overcome the business rates issue, Coop pay £150/sqm compared to a precinct shop paying £260/sqm.

Miss Marple

« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2011, 05:03:45 PM »
Dave, I think you are only reading the part of my post about Glossop and New Mills that you feel supports a positive contribution by the potential arrival of Tesco in Marple. This was not my intention and I think it is rare that any local shops benefit from their arrival. I would not want to see Tesco in Marple as I firmly believe that a Tesco would mean the closure of more locla shops.
Mulligans has a for sale sign up and that just for starters !

moorendman

« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »

Tricky

« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
Waitrose did not bid high enough.

Phew, that's a relief.  If Mrs Dave was let loose in Waitrose we'd soon be in financial meltdown!   ;D

Haha that was my first thought..

(obviously not about Mrs Dave!)

Good Job M&S weren't interested too..
meh

Dave

« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
Waitrose did not bid high enough.

Phew, that's a relief.  If Mrs Dave was let loose in Waitrose we'd soon be in financial meltdown!   ;D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
I have heard this afternoon that the College Govenors met last night to consider bids for the land. Bids were received from Sainsbury's, Tescos and Waitrose. The two being consider are Sainsbury's and Tesco as Waitrose did not bid high enough.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2011, 02:04:58 PM »
Awh Amazon !  That's nasty !  If your going to call me get it right !  You forgot Seventeen Window's ;)
         I Have voted against it on your poll ;)
. It's not my poll !  But cheers Amazon !  :-*