Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701911 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »
I agree we must ALL get together to oppose this at a large meeting open to all concerned residents mainly the ones who will be directly effected by any developments on the site.  MBF are invited when a venue is arranged if they would like to take up the offer ! At least we all be aware of the action plan ! This needs now to move up a gear   Admin would do you want me to see if we could book a room at the Library OR do you want to do this.  I have also contacted the campain in site thanks SGK to see what advice they have from experiences

SkyGuy

« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
ADMIN

May I suggest that if another meeting is held it is advertised on this site so that anyone wishing to attend is able to do so.

As I stated in a previous post the outcome of all of this will only be positive IF the community as a WHOLE is involved, informed and most important acts as one.

Regards

SkyGuy

Miss Marple

« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »
Each time I visit this topic I see at least 6 or 7 guests viewing the Tesco topic.  Can I ask if you would register on the forum and enter in to the debate if Tesco coming to Marple will effect you or if you have tried to stop Tesco moving into your area and failed or succeeded.   Your views, help, advice, guidance support (for or against ) would be very welcome.  So please become part of the debate  ??? We need you !!

Duke Fame

« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »
Activate the whole of Marple hit them in the pocket.

That would in my view be a little too late, it already seems difficult to activate/unite the residents of Marple to take action. Already groups have formed with different opinions on this website as to which is the best course of action if we are to believe these rumours are FACTual.

shop locally

People will be shopping locally at Tesco (keep up man)

have a late Thursday where all the shops open til 9

Not much use is Tesco decide to open 24hr which many do.

It's hardly too late, the College is still in hte hands of the college with the campus being used as intended now and in the next academic year.  

I suggest the shopping locally in existing shops so that Tesco's market research tells them of strong existing competition. Opening at times where Tesco may feel they have a USP will ward them off further.

Miss Marple

« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
I no !!!!!  But I just could not help it.   What a fantastic post Sky Guy it would be my opinion for what it's worth both you and SGK  are on the ball and can see the outcome if we continue to avoid direct action.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
I would register Now don't wait any longer can you do it SGK

SkyGuy

« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »
Activate the whole of Marple hit them in the pocket.

That would in my view be a little too late, it already seems difficult to activate/unite the residents of Marple to take action. Already groups have formed with different opinions on this website as to which is the best course of action if we are to believe these rumours are FACTual.

shop locally

People will be shopping locally at Tesco (keep up man)

have a late Thursday where all the shops open til 9

Not much use is Tesco decide to open 24hr which many do.

sgk

« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
At this stage sending letters to the college and others associated with the proposed purchase is pointless,  even if they do respond to your requests the information will be of little or no importance.

Not sure I agree, having read the advice on the Tescopoly "Every Little Hurts" site, who seem to be veterans of such skirmishes.

Take a look at I’ve heard a rumour that a new supermarket will open in my area on there.  There's some interesting success stories on there too, before anyone starts thinking Marple Tesco is a "done deal".

I wonder at what stage we should register our campaign on their site?

Duke Fame

« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
At this stage sending letters to the college and others associated with the proposed purchase is pointless,  even if they do respond to your requests the information will be of little or no importance.
It would appear that Tesco are on the home straight and the good people of Marple who have genuine concerns and objections to the proposed purchase are not even off the starting blocks and in persuing this course of action alone will waste what little time if any we have left.

If Tesco wants to BUY the land and the college wants to SELL the land then there is nothing that anybody can do to prevent it.

If the sale goes ahead even without planning permission for a supermarket then there are only 2 possible outcomes both of which in my view will be bad for Marple.

1. Planning permission for the supermarket is granted even after a lengthy campaign by Marple residents to oppose it. It will however have minor compromises attached to the original proposals which will sereve to enable the people of Marple to claim victory but more importantly promote customer loyalty to the new store. However the store is built and Marple and it's people have lost.

2. Planning permission for the supermarket is declined due to the lengthy campaign by Marple residents to oppose it. Tesco still own the land and buildings and after many years of neglect and vandalism (bowling green, jolly sailor, anyone) the idea of a nice new supermarket doesn't seem that bad after all and the very same people that opposed the original application will be begging Tesco to redevelop the site. Again the store is built and Marple and it's people have lost.

I hope I have demonstrated that the fight right now isn't about the plans for a supermarket it is more about trying to deter Tesco from buying the site and a couple of letters here and there requesting information just isn't going to achieve that. What is needed is more direct action which involves the community as a WHOLE which will send a clear message to Tesco BEFORE THE SITE IS PURCHASED!!

A few things quoted as fact there, is that definitely the case?

I think you analysis given the FACT that Tesco are definitely buying the plot is correct.

May I suggest, if these FACTS are right that the best way to fight Tesco would be to boycott their store. Activate the whole of Marple his them in the pocket. Where possible, shop locally, encourage the business forum to have a late Thursday where all the shops open til 9.

SkyGuy

« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
It would appear that Tesco are on the home straight and the good people of Marple who have genuine concerns and objections to the proposed purchase are not even off the starting blocks and in persuing this course of action alone will waste what little time if any we have left.

If Tesco wants to BUY the land and the college wants to SELL the land then there is nothing that anybody can do to prevent it.

If the sale goes ahead even without planning permission for a supermarket then there are only 2 possible outcomes both of which in my view will be bad for Marple.

1. Planning permission for the supermarket is granted even after a lengthy campaign by Marple residents to oppose it. It will however have minor compromises attached to the original proposals which will sereve to enable the people of Marple to claim victory but more importantly promote customer loyalty to the new store. However the store is built and Marple and it's people have lost.

2. Planning permission for the supermarket is declined due to the lengthy campaign by Marple residents to oppose it. Tesco still own the land and buildings and after many years of neglect and vandalism (bowling green, jolly sailor, anyone) the idea of a nice new supermarket doesn't seem that bad after all and the very same people that opposed the original application will be begging Tesco to redevelop the site. Again the store is built and Marple and it's people have lost.

I hope I have demonstrated that the fight right now isn't about the plans for a supermarket it is more about trying to deter Tesco from buying the site and a couple of letters here and there requesting information just isn't going to achieve that. What is needed is more direct action which involves the community as a WHOLE which will send a clear message to Tesco BEFORE THE SITE IS PURCHASED!!

Johnnyboy

« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
I am a new member but have been following this post before I joined. What I want to now is why the business forum didn't know about Tesco when at the start of this topic someone says that Littlewoods butcher have a pertition going and that was before June. And they are members of the Business forum I checked

Duke Fame

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »
Yes I know there have been rumours on this site, but we are lay people. I am talking about The Business Forum monitoring the situation for five years and not doing some digging, they must know what happens in Business especially where Tesco is concerned.  Its just a shock to me and I am now concerned that it's all been agreed and it's been left too late .  

Miss M, I think you need to step back for a moment. The business forum is no more clued up than anyone else.

I understand that the current situation is that the college has two sites, one of which it wants to monetarise. One of the ways to do this MAY be to sell the site to a supermarket chain.

You need to find out the reality of the situation rather than make things up and filling in gaps yourself and perhaps others need to stop taking things as fact from what is overheard on a bus.

If some public meeting can be arranged, establish the real facts and create a line in the sand, for which the opposition can be drawn. I think the stance of refusing to debate with Tesco themselves is both jumping the gun & not going to achieve anything

I'm not a business forum member in Marple but am elsewhere. These groups are not secretive but members do pay to join and they hope to be more powerful as a group rather than individuals. They should be treated as an ally rather than a group to be attacked for being supposedly a secret cult.    

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
Well said Mark.

Regarding MBF attending future meetings of the group of residents now also getting up a head of steam: I don't think that will be a problem as there were 5 members of Marple Business Forum and 3 from Marple Civic Society at the meeting on Friday.

I wasn't aware of this, but it is positive news - it would appear that the MBF potentially have a working group on the issue right there. 

Johnnyboy

« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
You will be missed  :'(

Miss Marple

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »
Admin I have emailed you two Freedom of information requests that Mr Corrie has sent to both the college and SMBC requesting information  (if anyone is interested you can click on the link provided by SGK and you can follow what's happening by registering on the site).  Admin I have read with intrest your reply and disagree totally, the reason being is that even Mr Corrie has tried to gain information by submitting an application for the right to freedom of information to SMBC and from what I can see the Business Forum is still waiting to have a meeting even though if represents hundreds of small businesses in and around Marple  I have not fallen out with anyone but I feel that people are delusional with their obsession about having meetings after meetings. Do you all really think that Tesco will be shaking in their boots if The Business Forum have a meeting !   If I was representing Business in Marple I would have had a contingency plan 5yrs ago when I got even the slightest hint of Tesco sniffing around  These are Business people ,mixing with other Business people, they must know more about what can happen to their lively hoods when someone like Tesco elbows their way in than anyone on this site.
I feel that I have posted enough on this subject so like everyone else I intend now  to just follow it with intrest