Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 700363 times)

sgk

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Tesco have got "form" regarding their empty promises of swimming pools, leisure facilities etc.

For one example see the excellent Tescopoly site

We lost our fight against Tesco in 1990 as the developers offered to provide Adur with a swimming pool, which turned out to be just a building with a hole in it so the council had to plumb and tile the pool and furnish/decorate the building! This year it could no longer afford to run this pool and has leased it to a private enterprise.

Or the promise of building a proper ice skating rink before the existing one gets demolished to make way for the store (a temporary one was built, meanwhile Tesco press on with further expansion of the new store regardless) Tescopoly site again

I don't have a right lot of confidence in Stockport Council outsmarting the mighty Tesco monopoly machine, based on their previous skirmishes, see example Independent newspaper article.

In Portwood, Stockport, Tesco built a Tesco Extra hypermarket which failed to comply with planning conditions. At 120,000 sq ft, the store was 20 per cent larger than the size limit that Stockport Borough Council had imposed on it when it granted planning permission.

Mike W

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
I've no idea whether there's any truth in this rumour, but I'd be inclined to treat any promises of swimming pools or leisure facilities with a huge dollop of salt.  Some years ago, I lived in the immediate vicinity of a proposed major supermarket development.  Before planning permission was granted, the company concerned (not Tesco, I should say) made extensive promises about the leisure and community facilities that would be built to replace those being lost to the development.  They even organised an exhibition so that local residents could view plans and models of the new facilities.  Perhaps needless to say, once permission was granted and the supermarket built, none of the promised facilities ever materialised.  It's very hard for local authorities to enforce planning conditions retrospectively, unless they're prepared to engage in costly and potentially risky legal action. 

Victor M

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
MarpleX there is also a Gym at the current swimming pool, small but perfectly adequate. If you went there you would save on the petrol and the membership is cheaper than the Moorside. Unfortunately swimming pools are very expensive both to build and run so any thoughts that the council would be able to provide the funds are gone these days. We missed the boat many years ago when the new pools were being built at Romiley & Hazel Grove.

rotten john

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:53:32 PM »
tescos on hibbert lane a good idea ??? are you lot bonkers stupid idea,even more huge hgvs and traffic clogging up marple,we allready have a co-op x2 iceland etc,we dont need any more superstores thanks.
all for the bribe of a little swimming baths/gym we allready have one,get our handsomely paid idle councilliors to improve the one we have and theres a gym in the mill.

Barbara

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »
What have you all got against the Co-op?!!!  It is not at all bad, and the movement as a whole is seeking to improve all the time.  I do, from time to time, go to other supermarkets, and I do use the local shops, particularly Wilsons, but I support the Co-op as much as I can.  (I await the brickbats!!)

marplex

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
Well I have to say that I would be totally in favour of this proposal if they do indeed build a new swimming pool that includes a gym.

At the moment I travel to Morrison's in Bredbury at least once a week which a 8 mile round trip and I travel to the gym at the Mooreside in Disley 3 times a week which is a 16 mile round trip.  If we had a Tesco's in Marple and swimming including gym I would save about £600 a year in petrol.  People only seem to talk about the extra traffic coming into Marple but I am far more interested in the  mileage that I would save. I also calculate that I would save over 40 hours of driving time a year.

I also don't see how it can affect local shops. We all currently shop at the supermarket so what difference does it make to local shops if we shop at Tesco's in Marple or Morrison's in Bredbury or wherever.  It would bring more employment to Marple which is another good thing. If fact if it brings people into Marple then that can be a good thing for local businesses.  I do however think that our friends at Spar and Premier would suffer though, but I don't think that would be any great loss!

amazon

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
IF tesco are planning to build a store on the Hibbert Lane site they are probably looking at trying to get customers from:
 Disley and High Lane who will travel through Hawk Green,
 New Mills who will travel along Strines Road and through the centre of Marple
 Marple Bridge, Compstall and Romiley who will travel up Brabyns Brow and through the centre of Marple.

The centre of Marple around stockport Road will become grid locked.

Apart from traffic concerns the real issue is what will happen to all the local shops who will loose custom.

Marple does not want or need a tesco store coming in to grab all the business it can.
why does everybody shop at TESCO .NEW SWIMING BATHS NEW ROAD LAYOUT TO COMPLIMENT DAN BANK . 

marpudlian

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »
Why would council tax go down?It never has,never will and the tax banding is for Stockport not Marple ::)

Maybe not but it would free up millions of pounds to spend on more essential services. And I mentioned Stockport as a whole.

sooty2

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »
The swimming pool, just like the library, or even the cinema, is one of those amenities that very few people use yet there is an outcry whenever there is suggestion one may close.

Personally, I think it would be advantageous to have just one swimming pool and library is Stockport town centre and none others in the borough - council tax would go right down!

I don't mind the college being demolished but a new large supermarket seems a bit OTT for this area - more council housing would be a better addition to the area.
Why would council tax go down?It never has,never will and the tax banding is for Stockport not Marple ::)

Miss Marple

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
The Department of transport and SMBC have already "Paved the way" for any major supermarket by altering junctions,a so called cycle track and stregthening of Dan Bank. ;)
YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH !!!!!

tonyjones

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »
IF tesco are planning to build a store on the Hibbert Lane site they are probably looking at trying to get customers from:
 Disley and High Lane who will travel through Hawk Green,
 New Mills who will travel along Strines Road and through the centre of Marple
 Marple Bridge, Compstall and Romiley who will travel up Brabyns Brow and through the centre of Marple.

The centre of Marple around stockport Road will become grid locked.

Apart from traffic concerns the real issue is what will happen to all the local shops who will loose custom.

Marple does not want or need a tesco store coming in to grab all the business it can.

sooty2

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »
The Department of transport and SMBC have already "Paved the way" for any major supermarket by altering junctions,a so called cycle track and stregthening of Dan Bank. ;)

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »
This rumour has an air of the real thing about it.  The sweeteners, I'm sure SMBC would think, are tempting...the swimming pool building is old and the Stockport Rd/Hibbert Lane junction is a bit of a joke...get them both done for free!  I don't think existing contracts would stand in the way of Tesco either, they would just 'compensate' as necessary.

amazon

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
The swimming pool, just like the library, or even the cinema, is one of those amenities that very few people use yet there is an outcry whenever there is suggestion one may close.

Personally, I think it would be advantageous to have just one swimming pool and library is Stockport town centre and none others in the borough - council tax would go right down!

I don't mind the college being demolished but a new large supermarket seems a bit OTT for this area - more council housing would be a better addition to the area.
          Who told you the library was not well used .a crazy posting .

Harry

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
Don't forget that the college has two buildings in Marple and they are only considering shutting one of them.