Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701689 times)

Howard

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1178 on: January 04, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
I don't mean the volunteers and leaflet deliverers. Who is the chair, the secretary, the treasurer and the press officer etc. I'm sure those positions don't change on a weekly basis. If MiA want to be considered as an open community organisation then they should be part of it and not anonymous. Currently the only way we know who they are is though passing mentions on the MiA website, for example David Hoyle, Diane Jackson and Rick Hardisty. I'm not against MiA in any way, but I would like to know who the people are who purport to speak for me and the rest of Marple.

If I were part of it I would WANT people to know who I was so that I could get my message across to as many people as possible.

sooty2

« Reply #1177 on: January 04, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
In what way are MIA shadowy and anonymous?If you feel the need, go and ask the ever changing people who man the Saturday stall who they are.Though what purpose it would serve I don't know.All these people are glad to help,they can call theirselves members or supporters.It is not a secret society ::)As for speaking for the community, they do.The large part of the community who do not want a supermarket on Hibbert Lane.There is nothing to stop supermarket supporters speaking on behalf of the community that want one.Simple!

Howard

« Reply #1176 on: January 04, 2012, 06:44:05 PM »
Dave, very well put. There's an excellent article by Sunny Hundal in the Guardian from years ago. I think it's still online here. It discusses the very same concerns about self-appointed "community leaders", although in his case he made the point about leaders of religious minorities.

The best thing that MIA can do would be to publish who they are, how to contact them and what function they perform in the group. After all, they are happy to publish contact details to all the college governors, local councillors and our local MP. Admittedly, these details are all on the public record, but if the group talks so much about shadowy dealings then surely they should not fall into the same trap.

I admire the drive that has brought the matter of the supermarket to the public's attention. The worst thing that could happen is for all that effort and drive to be cheapened by the group not being as open as they would like their "opposition" to be.

Dave

« Reply #1175 on: January 04, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
Sleepless, you write:
there is little room to criticise the methods used by MIA

Now in principle I agree that it is good that there are people who are prepared to fight for what they believe in.  But there really is a lot to criticise about MIA.  Not about what it is doing, but the way it has been doing it.  Look back at posts 1148 and 1158 in this thread, for a comprehensive critique of what's wrong with the way MIA works.   In particular, there is a real concern that MIA has been spreading inaccurate information about the college - for example, that the college is selling land because it is in financial difficulties (false), and that the proposal to consolidate  on the Buxton Lane site is a 'smokescreen' for a secret plan to move away from Marple altogether (also false). 

There is also increasing concern at the way MIA claims to speak for 'the community'.  Just look at the post immediately before yours, sleepless:

Copies of the no to a supermarket petition were handed to councillors at the last Area Committee Meeting along with comments from the community on how a development on the Hibbert Lane site would impact on local residents and businesses.....   let's hope they take notice of the voice of the people, one can only hope ?

MIA is a self-appointed group of largely anonymous individuals.  Here's their website... http://www.marple-uk.com/marple-in-action/index.htm

....However deeply you delve into it you will not find a list of officers or members.  We have no idea who they are, apart from a couple of individuals who speak for them on this forum.  There is no evidence that they represent the majority view of residents.   And yet they claim to speak for 'the community' in their dealings with councillors.  They even describe themselves here as 'the voice of the people', for heaven's sake!   ::)   

MIA does not speak for the community and they need to stop claiming that they do.   It would also be helpful if they could develop a communications strategy, with the emphasis on putting out clear, consistent and accurate information.  Then some of us might start to take them more seriously! 

sleepless

« Reply #1174 on: January 04, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
I don't care who the "shadowy" members of MIA are, I just find it really encouraging that there are people out there who are prepared to stand up and do something for their community, whether you agree with them or not.  It makes a refreshing contrast to the usual apathy displayed by the public when dealing with matters social or political.  If you examine the tactics used by the supermarkets to get their own way there is little room to criticise the methods used by MIA in their work to galvanise opposition to having one built on Hibbert Lane.  Trying to cast aspersions on their integrity is a cheap shot.  (No, I am not a member of MIA, just a supporter.)

Miss Marple

« Reply #1173 on: January 03, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »
Copies of the no to a supermarket petition were handed to councillors at the last Area Committee Meeting along with comments from the community on how a development on the Hibbert Lane site would impact on local residents and businesses.   The petition is not complete and the councillors have been informed that the list of people who are opposed to a supermarket development on Hibbert Lane is growing.
It will soon be that time of year when local elections will be being held so MIA just wanted to remind our elected members of the strength of feeling in the community against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane.  You could say they have been given the heads up prior to election day so let's hope they take notice of the voice of the people, one can only hope ?

Dave

« Reply #1172 on: January 03, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
Agreed, HWL.  So for the sake of clarity, here's a revised list of things which we seem to agree that we agree on.  ;D

1.   A new supermarket on Hibbert Lane would increase traffic congestion in Marple.
2.   It would mean that fewer of us will go elsewhere (Bredbury, Hazel Grove etc) to do our main supermarket shopping.
3.   It would have an impact on other local shops (but no-one can forecast for certain what that will be)
4.   It would have a (mostly negative) impact on those living very close to the site.
5.   It would almost certainly not receive planning permission from Stockport Council.  The only way it could go ahead would be if the Council decision were to be overturned on appeal. 
6.   It would allow the college to gain the maximum possible funds to reinvest from the sale of the land.

amazon

« Reply #1171 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
No it's just a joke when a person in control of this forum can have the final say. Thank you and goodbye.

Does that mean they have got the huf and won't be posting again . ???

Henry_

« Reply #1170 on: January 03, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
5.   Er...
6.   That's it   ;D

I would suggest one thing you've missed off that list Dave is that there will also be an impact on families who live near to the site.

I would have thought that we could agree on this too?

Agree,

and (6) could be that it would allow the college to gain the maximum possible funds to reinvest from any sale of the Hibbert Lane land

Dave

« Reply #1169 on: January 02, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
5.   Er...
6.   That's it   ;D

I would suggest one thing you've missed off that list Dave is that there will also be an impact on families who live near to the site.

Yes, indeed we could - I should have thought of that. 

However, re:
The issue of a supermarket on Hibbert Lane on this forum is very one sided.

....I can't agree at all.  The majority view by posters on this forum seems to be against the supermarket proposal, but there is also a significant minority view which I and others have expressed. So there are clearly two sides to the argument.  (Needless to say, the  majority/minority views among the small number of people posting on this forum should not be taken as representative of the majority/minority views among the wider community.) 

Howard

« Reply #1168 on: January 02, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »
No it's just a joke when a person in control of this forum can have the final say. Thank you and goodbye.

If you do decide to check back into the forum to keep up with the debate, it's worth noting that you have misunderstand what the Administrators and Moderators do. They do have the final say but only choose to exercise that right for posts which are deemed offensive or irrelevant. Posts which go against their views are NOT removed as long as they contribute to the debate.

It would be a shame to see any user decide to leave the forum. However, reviewing your posts (click here to see them) it does appear that you have contributed little apart from snarky one-line replies towards other users. If you decide to stay then it would be nice to see your actual viewpoint expressed clearly for other people to debate.

TINSLEY

« Reply #1167 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #1166 on: January 02, 2012, 06:35:27 PM »
5.   Er...
6.   That's it   ;D

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #1165 on: January 02, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
In what way Tinsley?  If you mean it's generally against a supermarket, perhaps this just reflects the opinion across Marple.

TINSLEY

« Reply #1164 on: January 02, 2012, 06:05:43 PM »
The issue of a supermarket on Hibbert Lane on this forum is very one sided.