Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 700300 times)

Victor M

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1568 on: May 12, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »
Chadwick Street Site: MIA knew nothing of this at the time of the "meeting in the park". It was months later before that site was even marketed. This was a strategy developed by Marple Councillors (and it has to be said that it is a cunning plan) its aim to ultimately prevent the construction of a supermarket on Hibbert Lane site. MIA were in total ignorance of this plan until they were informed along wiith everybody else that it had actually been implemented, by placing Chadwick St car-park for sale. Even then they didn't guess the possible outcome.
I beg to differ, if you look at the correspondence MIA obtained under the Freedom of Information Act then you will see that the College's consultants were told by SMBC Officers of the Chadwick Street car park site and chose to ignore it.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1567 on: May 12, 2012, 02:26:46 PM »
As was said at the very first meeting held in the Park, when too many people turned up for the Area Committee meeting. Any decision taken on a new supermarket in Marple would not be initially considered by the Area Committee but would be considered by the Council Executive. That is what is happening and that I believe is what MIA have said right from the beginning.

This assertion is not quite right but it is petulant to debate whether MIA was right or wrong . MIA is nought but a bit player in this.

There are two separate issues here; Hibbert Lane, site and Chadwick St, site.

Hibbert Lane: This site we are told has been sold to Asda although we do not know under what conditions. If and when Asda put in a planning application then that application will initially come before the Area Committee (AC). The Executive will not be involved. If the planning application is rejected by SMBC's planning dept and this rejection is in turn supported by AC with no referral to Highways and Planning Committee, then that can be seen as fulfilling Council protocol and can be presented as the Council's decision on that particular, planning application. This of course does not prevent the applicant from using appeal protocols. However, whatever protocols, appeals are taken up the Council Executive is not involved       

Chadwick Street Site: MIA knew nothing of this at the time of the "meeting in the park". It was months later before that site was even marketed. This was a strategy developed by Marple Councillors (and it has to be said that it is a cunning plan) its aim to ultimately prevent the construction of a supermarket on Hibbert Lane site. MIA were in total ignorance of this plan until they were informed along wiith everybody else that it had actually been implemented, by placing Chadwick St car-park for sale. Even then they didn't guess the possible outcome.

Because Chadwick street car-park and immediate environs are actually owned by the Council then only the Executive can make a decision as to whom it can be sold - if at all.

That is the reason for the convention of the Executive later this month, to decide this.

If it is decided that Chadwick Street can be sold and let's say that is Waitrose (speculation) then this will slice Asda's appeal grounds for Hibbert Lane off at the legs.

Current Score; Marple Councillors 3, Asda 0, MIA, watching from the touchline. 

Victor M

« Reply #1566 on: May 12, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
As was said at the very first meeting held in the Park, when too many people turned up for the Area Committee meeting. Any decision taken on a new supermarket in Marple would not be initially considered by the Area Committee but would be considered by the Council Executive. That is what is happening and that I believe is what MIA have said right from the beginning.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1565 on: May 12, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »
Has anybody out there actually got any FACTS ?

Where is the "in the know" MIA?

Why doesn't somebody contact the local Councillors and ask them? 

sgk

« Reply #1564 on: May 11, 2012, 11:02:04 PM »
According to the council's web site ...

Chadwick Street car park

The Council has now received five bids for the site.

The special Marple Area Committee meeting planned for Wednesday 16 May will no longer take place. Instead, a report will be considered by the Council's Executive on Monday 28 May recommending a preferred developer for the site.

A report will then be presented to the next Marple Area Committee on Wednesday 6 June to inform members and residents of the Executive’s decision.

None of the bids include the purchase of any additional properties or land, outside of the council land ownership, to make the development deliverable.

That sounds rather like a done deal.

There's nothing like democracy and that's nothing like democracy.

hollins

« Reply #1563 on: May 11, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »
According to the council's web site ...

Chadwick Street car park

The Council has now received five bids for the site.

The special Marple Area Committee meeting planned for Wednesday 16 May will no longer take place. Instead, a report will be considered by the Council's Executive on Monday 28 May recommending a preferred developer for the site.

A report will then be presented to the next Marple Area Committee on Wednesday 6 June to inform members and residents of the Executive’s decision.

None of the bids include the purchase of any additional properties or land, outside of the council land ownership, to make the development deliverable.

dtm

« Reply #1562 on: May 11, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
This may be old news but last week I heard from a local postman that the Marple Sorting Office has definitely been sold to Waitrose, and that as well as the Sorting Office, The Carver Theatre and several houses are to be demolished!

They were given this news by Council staff and seems to be a done deal

Maybe I'm wrong but this seems to have gone through very quickly and very quietly without the furore that MIA has created about the Hibbert Lane Spermarket, and yet we may be losing our sorting office, theatre and other people their homes

I thought MIA had gone a bit quiet recently!

simonesaffron

« Reply #1561 on: April 27, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
[qu[/quote]

Jeez, I'm amazed the is a thing called the LGA and they feel the need to award each other and of course, how can they award that waste of public money!

Carl, if you get in, destroy that organisation in the spirit of Lady T vs the unions

I think that you are expecting a lot from Carl. He is standing for Councillor in Marple Sth ...not Prime Minister.....yet.

Duke Fame

« Reply #1560 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
Duke,

Please,not Mrs Oliver again. We all know about her and we don't need reminding. We're all slightly mad on here but we're not crazy.

To change the subject slightly. You'll like this Duke. Heard last night that the  LGA (Local Government Association) has just awarded leader of the year ...."for sustained and titanic contribution to regeneration"

RICHARD LEESE. 

Jeez, I'm amazed the is a thing called the LGA and they feel the need to award each other and of course, how can they award that waste of public money!

Carl, if you get in, destroy that organisation in the spirit of Lady T vs the unions

Dave

« Reply #1559 on: April 26, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
Miss M writes 'Prior to the FOIs letters had been sent but were not answered', but of course they were unanswered. Which of us would bother to answer pointless questions from timewasters with nothing better to do unless we were forced to!
As for 'the power of an FOI', such power is only worth anything if it achieves something. What did the FOI about camsfc curriculum achieve....?

simonesaffron

« Reply #1558 on: April 26, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
Duke,

Please,not Mrs Oliver again. We all know about her and we don't need reminding. We're all slightly mad on here but we're not crazy.

To change the subject slightly. You'll like this Duke. Heard last night that the LGA (Local Government Association) has just awarded leader of the year ...."for sustained and titanic contribution to regeneration"

RICHARD LEESE. 

Cripes

« Reply #1557 on: April 25, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »
..."seems an odd thing to do"...

I agree but she's probably an odd person like the rest of us on this website.

Agreed.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1556 on: April 25, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
Not that I feel I have to justify the FOIs but just so we can all move on.  Three are my FOIs the rest have been done on behalf of other people and the rest have been done in my role within MIA.  Information has been gained and MIA have been able to use the information gained successfully.  Prior to the FOIs letters had been sent but were not answered and still remain unanswered  Hence the power of an FOI  ;)

Duke Fame

« Reply #1555 on: April 25, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
Of course FOI requests cost money - our money. Save me from the views of the leader of Tyneside Council, why should his view prevail ? He's a politician and all politicians with no exception try to hide issues from members of the public. By nature they don't like FOI requests. Using him as an example is like asking the hangman to comment on the abolition of capital punishment.To say what he said is patronising and insulting to genuine people who ask for genuine, FOI requests. If my recall is correct the recent MP'S xpenses scandal was uncovered as a direct consequence of an FOI request, well at the time ... "Wow - I never knew that!! - I'm sure that there are many more ...to which we could apply the same exclamation.

So let's not unjustly pillory Miss M for her possibly, excessive FOI zeal. Her motivation is in only trying to uncover things which is the opposite of "Geordie Tyneside" who is trying to cover them up.

I don't think the leader of Tyneside council is still T Dan Smith and I'm not sure if FOI would have stopped that Labour man's carrying on.

I think we all agree that there must be some checks and balances for the electorate to check up on how councils spend our money. FOI requests seem to be an very inefficient way of doing htis and are widely abused. Seeing someone willfully abuse the process is akin to seeing someone vandalise a wall and excuse the vandalism because they've paid for a bit of it. Miss M is by no means the worst offender, look up a former contributor to these pages Shiela Oliver, she's made over 1,000 requests! Costing Stockport in excess of £130,000 of stealing the entire council tax contribution from 130 homes. 

Bowden Guy

« Reply #1554 on: April 25, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
Simone, I think you will find that the MPs expenses scandal was kickstarted by someone selling a cd to the Daily Telegraph.