Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701944 times)

sooty2

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1628 on: June 29, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »
Woodville Girls school was a typical ugly seventies building before it became the college.The new build part is even worse. Looks a bit like a prisoner cell block. Who wants to look at that, at the back of their property? Yes Admin, people around there have complained about inconsiderate parking. The mind boggles! >:(
There is no accounting for taste. I doubt very much that people can honestly say that the new build block is attractive. Sour grapes? I do not do "Sour Grapes".

Sour grapes .some nice ones in asda .

Miss Marple

« Reply #1627 on: June 29, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
No ! No ! Mrs O  :o. I disagree the building looks nice !........... On paper !  Hang on a min ! It reminds me of something .   Yes got it now !  Its The Rose Hill Super School, now how good did that look on paper ?  :-\

Victor M

« Reply #1626 on: June 29, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »
I doubt that many 6th form students can afford to run cars, so most of the parking will be for staff members. Remember that there will be a huge reduction in staff before the start of the new academic year. Problem solved.
Judging by the number of car's parked around the site during term time then there must be a large number of staff who all appear to be in their late teens!
Car parking has always been a problem near 6th form colleges, reducing the number of spaces on site will just make the matter worse for the surrounding area.

Harry

« Reply #1625 on: June 29, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
The current Hibbert Lane site has approximately 180 parking spaces. The current Buxton Lane site has approximately 100, so that's 280 total.

The new site plan shows approximately 150 spaces.

What impact is the loss of in the region of 130 spaces (a reduction of around 46%) likely to have on parking for college users and local residents?

I doubt that many 6th form students can afford to run cars, so most of the parking will be for staff members. Remember that there will be a huge reduction in staff before the start of the new academic year. Problem solved.

amazon

« Reply #1624 on: June 29, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
Woodville Girls school was a typical ugly seventies building before it became the college.The new build part is even worse. Looks a bit like a prisoner cell block. Who wants to look at that, at the back of their property? Yes Admin, people around there have complained about inconsiderate parking. The mind boggles! >:(

Sour grapes .some nice ones in asda .

sooty2

« Reply #1623 on: June 29, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »

Henry_

« Reply #1622 on: June 29, 2012, 05:21:53 PM »
Are the parking specs at hibert lane always taken .if not that's why theres a reduction . Stop looking for problems . That's normally down to miss marples ,

I live very near the college site and other members of my family live even closer. Why shouldn't I look for problems? Car parking is often a problem now. If the Hibbert Lane car park is still going to be available for students to park (as you seem to be suggesting) then maybe this won't be a problem but if that is to become ASDA's car park then it certainly will.

I suppose this is what the consultation is for

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #1621 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
Are the parking specs at hibert lane always taken .if not that's why theres a reduction . Stop looking for problems . That's normally down to miss marples ,

I live very near the college site and other members of my family live even closer. Why shouldn't I look for problems? Car parking is often a problem now. If the Hibbert Lane car park is still going to be available for students to park (as you seem to be suggesting) then maybe this won't be a problem but if that is to become ASDA's car park then it certainly will.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Victor M

« Reply #1620 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »

I think the specs are all taken by the local opticians!

Victor M

« Reply #1619 on: June 29, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »
At last, an informative document from the college and the immediate prospect of more, genuine, information. Let us hope this matter can now move forward without all the twaddle, "information" from "the man at the butchers", hysterical nonsense, ignorance and abuse with which the debate has been polluted over the past 18 months.

If the college had decided to consult the public when these plans were 1st drawn up then we could have been able to have an informed debate, only now has the college produced a glossy brochure that only contains info on the Buxton lane site, nothing about Hibbert Lane. They still haven't publicised the event at Buxton Lane next week, and how many residents are going to receive the glossy brochure?

We would all still be in the dark if it hadn't been for MIA and this excellent web site.

amazon

« Reply #1618 on: June 29, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
Interesting plans.

The current Hibbert Lane site has approximately 180 parking spaces. The current Buxton Lane site has approximately 100, so that's 280 total.

What impact is the loss of in the region of 130 spaces (a reduction of around 46%) likely to have on parking for college users and local residents?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #1617 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »
Interesting plans.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #1616 on: June 29, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Thanks, HWL.  Looks like I will have to wait patiently until next weekend. 
Like MIA said a long time ago, They're building up! Not good for the homes that have to look at it. What do the decision makers at the college care? They don't.

Henry_

« Reply #1615 on: June 29, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
Dear Resident

I am writing to involve you in the College’s plans for the Marple Sixth Form College. Senior managers
have recently finalised plans and have the full support of College governors.
In terms of achievement we have a record to be proud of with an A level pass rate of 99.1%,
an advanced vocational pass rate of 100%, and over 70% of leavers entering Higher Education
each year.

The Marple campus provides over 40 different subjects at Advanced level in art, performing arts,
mathematics, business and law, social sciences, sport, health and social care, English, modern foreign
languages, sciences and the humanities.These are accommodated on two Marple sites, at Hibbert
Lane and Buxton Lane.We regularly review our curriculum offer to ensure it fits with high school,
higher education and employer needs and plan to continue to offer the same breadth of opportunities
in the future.

Our staff and students perform extremely well in poor facilities but they deserve much better, as does
the local community who make good use of the College’s accommodation.
A report from external consultants, commissioned in 2007, stated that the College could not continue
to operate from the poor quality buildings and so, with the support of the Learning and Skills Council
(LSC), proposals were drawn up for the re-development of the Marple campus. However, with the
government’s abolition of the LSC, all our plans had to be abandoned as no alternative funds could
be found.

In March 2010 we again commissioned external consultants who reviewed the quality and condition
of the College’s accommodation and provided a new long-term property strategy. The property
consultants’ report shows clearly that the Marple Sixth Form College’s full curriculum can be housed
in first class accommodation on one site.

We are pleased to share with you our plans for a re-modelled campus which will offer a fantastic
environment for our students and the local community by refurbishing much of the existing Buxton
Lane site and building a new teaching block and Sports Hall to replace Hibbert Lane curriculum,
student support, sport and learning resource facilities.

The estimate for all the work is just under £13m. We hope to fund this through the sale of the
Hibbert Lane site. The College is required to obtain best price for any sale of assets and, of course,
maintain the existing open space. The College has sought funds from many sources, including the
sale of Hibbert Lane for housing (which would yield less than half the amount needed). As many of
you know, the Leeds-based supermarket, Asda, has submitted proposals to purchase the land for a
‘neighbourhood’ supermarket. The planned store will be smaller than the existing college buildings
and the current open space will be retained. This proposal would provide the College with sufficient
income to meet all development costs at no cost to the public.

Your views on our proposal for the development of the Buxton Lane campus will be much appreciated
and considered and we look forward to receiving these at our joint public exhibition in Marple on 6th
and 7th July – which the college is delighted to host on our Buxton Lane site.

I understand Asda will provide residents with details of their proposals for a new neighbourhood
supermarket and safeguarding of the open space at the Hibbert Lane site.

Yours sincerely
Christina Cassidy

Principal

This is the text of the letter on Page 1. There is a second page showing an artist's impression of the proposed new college building

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #1614 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »
Here's a smaller version. Click it to view:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website