Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
July 28, 2014, 01:21:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Poll
Question: Do you approve, oppose or not care if a supermarket were built on the Hibbert Lane site?
I object to a supermarket being built on the site.
I approve of a supermarket being built on the site.
I don't mind what is done with it.

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 129
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 126256 times)
Belly

« Reply #1800 on: July 08, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »

I probably agree with you there Simone. But who has placed the college under siege if not the so called 'community'?

If there hadn't been quite so much abuse bandied around, we might have got a lot more involvement and a bit more give and take.

There is an argument that we reap what we sow.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...
simonesaffron

« Reply #1801 on: July 08, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »

Wheels,

If you wish to define the College it as a commercial business then that's up to you. ASDA is a commercial business that deals in profit to the exclusion of everthing else. A college should deal with the development of Children and young People. The Asda is being built for the shareholders to the exclusion of everything else the College is being refurbished for the students in our community.

As for getting the service elsewhere, How many supermarkets are there in Stockport, how many 6th form Colleges are there ? Do you compare the unique ambitions, aspirations and education of our children to a cheap shirt...one is nothing special and you can get it absolutely anywhere...the other is and you can't.     
simonesaffron

« Reply #1802 on: July 08, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »

I probably agree with you there Simone. But who has placed the college under siege if not the so called 'community'?

If there hadn't been quite so much abuse bandied around, we might have got a lot more involvement and a bit more give and take.

There is an argument that we reap what we sow.

Wheels,

It isn't the general community that has been abusive it is the "leaders of MarpleInaction that have hurled the abuse. These people are not the communiity, they represent a section of the community - probably the the vocal minority. They are fond of saying they are the community but they are not. However, the College should have stood up to them but they didn't , they cowed and hid away and let the community down by their craven behaviour.   
Victor M

« Reply #1803 on: July 08, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »

If you wish to define the College it as a commercial business then that's up to you. ASDA is a commercial business that deals in profit to the exclusion of everthing else. A college should deal with the development of Children and young People. The Asda is being built for the shareholders to the exclusion of everything else the College is being refurbished for the students in our community.
Just like to point out that since 1999 Asda has been wholly owned by Wal-Mart – the largest company and arguably 'the most ruthless employer' in the world. If you are unsure what kind of organisation Wal-Mart is then look at the following link, there are lots of others as well detailing Wal-Marts activities www.corporatewatch.org
Heritage

« Reply #1804 on: July 08, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

To pick up on Victor M's point.....WalMart are fairly unlikely to have a live feed from the Marple Forum in their planning ops room....in fact nobody in WalMart HQ will have the foggiest where Stockport is, never mind Marple, and they could lose the money involved in this project down the back of their corporate sofa. So it would be better for everyone's lives just to sit back and relax....perhaps have a glass of wine from the selection at Toast....or call in for a coffee at Portobello....or a cake at All Things Nice.

On your way home, pick up some meat from White's or Littlewood's. Grab some fruit and veg from Neal's. Perhaps a paper from the newsagent, and some choccies for later tonight from the Thornton's selection on the corner. Oh - better get some paracetamol from Boots in case you have a hangover from the real ales you remember you got from Bargain Booze last week - their offers are great - and some straw for the rabbit from the pet shop....the kids have never done it like they promised!

And before you know it, instead of posting another fairly introspective blog here aimed at...well....the 0.0025% of the local population who replied to the last posting you put up on a very similar point six months ago, you've actually gone out and supported the town. Where did the time go?

Come on everyone....less round robin postings about walking to the college or gathering some signatures which will go into the shredder at the council offices....wait for the planning exercise to begin and meanwhile get out of the bloody house and actually support the town you live in!!

THAT is the way you will stop a supermarket....
acoustician

« Reply #1805 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

thats virtually my shopping neatly summarised Wink
Dave

« Reply #1806 on: July 08, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »

More common sense written today by belly, heritage and wheels than by all the rest of us for the past twelve months!

I also agree with Simone sometimes, but I'm not convinced by ' the College should have stood up to them (MIA) but they didn't , they cowed and hid away and let the community down by their craven behaviour.' I have a feeling that we will see in due course that the college was right not to respond. There's a lot to be said for remaining silent when you are under attack - sometimes a response can confer a credibility on the attackers which they do not deserve.   
Miss Marple

« Reply #1807 on: July 08, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »

More common sense written today by belly, heritage and wheels than by all the rest of us for the past twelve months!

I also agree with Simone sometimes, but I'm not convinced by ' the College should have stood up to them (MIA) but they didn't , they cowed and hid away and let the community down by their craven behaviour.' I have a feeling that we will see in due course that the college was right not to respond. There's a lot to be said for remaining silent when you are under attack - sometimes a response can confer a credibility on the attackers which they do not deserve.    
MIA always had a line of communication with the college.

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Dave

« Reply #1808 on: July 14, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »

Now, maybe, but certainly not 'always', otherwise there would have been no posts like this. 
Hi Duke
We have tried and tried to speak with Ms Cassidy but she is refusing to answer emails, letters, invitations to speak with the community and messages continually ignores messages given  via her PA joy Pippin  
Miss Marple

« Reply #1809 on: July 14, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »

Now, maybe, but certainly not 'always', otherwise there would have been no posts like this.  
Hi Duke
We have tried and tried to speak with Ms Cassidy but she is refusing to answer emails, letters, invitations to speak with the community and messages continually ignores messages given  via her PA joy Pippin  

Oh Dave how come you always try to mis interpret things.   MIA always has had communication with the college, I personally still do and I am sure other MIA members do also.   What the quote you quoted says is, and still exists, for whatever reason, is Ms Cassady continually refused MIA requests to speak with the community.  Maybe I don't have your gift of the written word so please try to be mindful when attempting to discredit forum members it's just so...... Not nice .

Dave

« Reply #1810 on: July 14, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »

Ms Cassady continually refused MIA requests to speak with the community.
MIA is the community
MIA always has had communication with the college

OK Miss M, I'm sure I'll work it out eventually.......   Wink
Miss Marple

« Reply #1811 on: July 14, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »

Ms Cassady continually refused MIA requests to speak with the community.
MIA is the community
MIA always has had communication with the college

OK Miss M, I'm sure I'll work it out eventually.......   Wink
yes do try !

Bowden Guy

« Reply #1812 on: July 14, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

MIA do not speak for "the community". I am a member of the Marple "community" and they do not speak for me,
Dave

« Reply #1813 on: August 05, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »

I see from the 'Latest News' thread that Cllr Candler believes that 'There is a widespread consensus in the area that says that we don’t need a large supermarket outside the district centre.' Where does he get that information from? Has he conducted a proper opinion survey? Or does he think that a noisy campaign is the same as a 'widespread consensus? Surely such an experienced local councillor would not make such a simple mistake. Would they....?
amazon

« Reply #1814 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »

I see from the 'Latest News' thread that Cllr Candler believes that 'There is a widespread consensus in the area that says that we don’t need a large supermarket outside the district centre.' Where does he get that information from? Has he conducted a proper opinion survey? Or does he think that a noisy campaign is the same as a 'widespread consensus? Surely such an experienced local councillor would not make such a simple mistake. Would they....?

Mr candler likes to be on anybody's side that he thinks will win .but not this time .
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 129
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite