I'm sending one of these letters to each governor at CAMSFC and would urge you all to do similar.
28th July 28, 2011
Re: Proposed Sale of Hibbert Lane Campus
Dear Lawrie Grant
I am writing to you regarding the information, which is now in the public domain, that CAMSFC is proposing to enter into a deal with one of the major supermarkets.
As a resident of Marple during my childhood, and more recently as a parent of two young children, my family and I are STRONGLY opposed to the Hibbert Lane Campus becoming a supermarket on the following grounds:
• We, along with many other local residents, chose to live in Marple because of its quiet village nature and its thriving local centre comprising small, friendly shops. The presence of a large supermarket would unquestionably change this.
• We are very worried about the inevitable drop in house prices.
• We are seriously concerned about the impact of increased traffic in the area, including air and noise pollution and safety to other road users, including pedestrians and cyclists. As it is Marple is choked with traffic at peak times. There simply isn’t room.
• Aesthetically the whole area would be changed into just another faceless town.
• Whilst the college requires upgrading, its reputation would be irrevocably damaged by the adverse publicity, which will undoubtedly be huge.
I urge you to reconsider your plans and put community goodwill and the 25 000 residents of Marple at the heart of your decisions. I believe, as a community institution, that you have a moral responsibility to do this. Indeed, I woud direct you to your own website and following claim:
"The Marple campus is close to the centre of the attractive village of Marple and both our sites, at Hibbert Lane and Buxton Lane, are surrounded by extensive grounds to give a great feeling of space and freedom."
We are all well aware of what happens when the large supermarkets appeal planning decisions, so I feel very strongly indeed that the buck stops with you, the governors, and you alone. Please do the right thing, for Marple, and globalisation as a whole, and sell to a developer who will help retain Marple’s unique character.
I look forward to a response.