Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
November 24, 2014, 09:22:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Flexible ServiceDesk Solutions for your business

Poll
Question: Do you approve, oppose or not care if a supermarket were built on the Hibbert Lane site?
I object to a supermarket being built on the site.
I approve of a supermarket being built on the site.
I don't mind what is done with it.

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 129
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 143340 times)
Miss Marple

« Reply #1455 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

Hi Finetime I find your analysis amusing, it has brought some humour into my politically naive life, so for that I thank you !    Lol  Cheesy

Thank you Miss Marple, your comments are indeed gracious.

There is one small question though, it is perhaps an example of MY OWN naivety....call me old-fashioned, I don't mind but I have never really been able to keep up with the Americanization of the English Language. To my deep chagrin I have never even watched one part of an episode of "Friends" nor have I seen the same of "Hannah Montana" or is it "Savannah"....apologies, I don't really know.
 Anyway, I have heard several versions of this acronym....but what actually does LOl mean?          
Strangely enough I don't watch TV, I find it boring, I'm more of a party animal, bingo , tea dances ,cheese and wine parties, Tupperware parties or bridge is my preferred recreation   !   Heather is correct it's Laugh out loud ! Or it could mean Love you Lots ! Undecided   But in this case it's Laugh out loud  or when I am being really really crazy  I say OMG Lol   I'm just wild !
I'm just wild I am  Wink  

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Barbara

« Reply #1456 on: March 02, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »

You tend to make some of us wild too, Miss M! Wink
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1457 on: March 05, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »

Amazing! Tupperware parties,  Bridge clubs, fare dodging - I didn't realise that Marple was so charged with iniquities. What next drive by shootings and greek style orgies? 
Harry

« Reply #1458 on: March 05, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »

Amazing! Tupperware parties,  Bridge clubs, fare dodging - I didn't realise that Marple was so charged with iniquities. What next drive by shootings and greek style orgies? 

Hopefully we won't have any more drive-by shootings in Marple. One was enough.

See http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bullets-halt-the-rise-of-a-northern-gangster-1415880.html

"Nothing is infinite, except the universe and stupid people, and sometimes, I doubt the universe."
--- Albert Einstein
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1459 on: March 05, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »

Meant as a joke Harry but I now realise may have been in bad taste -apologies.
Harry

« Reply #1460 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »

Accepted. You can buy me a drink at the next Greek orgy.

"Nothing is infinite, except the universe and stupid people, and sometimes, I doubt the universe."
--- Albert Einstein
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1461 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »

Should we be interested in this?

We cannot know for sure what effect the Hibbert Lane ASDA will have on local businesses. Some believe that it will take customers away from the town centre and that the impact will be negative whilst others hold the opposite view. There are though two businesses in Marple that will decidedly benefit if ASDA comes to town. They will benefit from construction of the store, they will benefit after it is built and their benefit will be ongoing for as long as the store survives. Guess Who ?
Dave

« Reply #1462 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »

Hawk Green chippy?   Tongue
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1463 on: March 06, 2012, 09:42:01 AM »

Hawk Green chippy?   Tongue

I didn't actually think of that one -but you are right. O.k then 3 businesses.   
amazon

« Reply #1464 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

<Edited by Lisa.. off topic>
Heritage

« Reply #1465 on: March 07, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »

Bottom line is - like practically all content about the alleged supermarket on this forum - there is a lack of any real data or objective analysis of what the impact of an alleged new business would do to the town. It all seems to descend into the same unfounded scaremongering which is actually counter-productive whatever one's supposed position!  Undecided
Miss Marple

« Reply #1466 on: March 08, 2012, 07:28:33 PM »

Bottom line is - like practically all content about the alleged supermarket on this forum - there is a lack of any real data or objective analysis of what the impact of an alleged new business would do to the town. It all seems to descend into the same unfounded scaremongering which is actually counter-productive whatever one's supposed position!  Undecided
Hi Heritage I wish it was an alleged supermarket on Hibbert Lane but sadly it is not.    I appreciate that this thread is far too long for you to read through but the reality is that I was one of very few people that was granted an audience with  Ms Cassidy (Principal CAMSFC) who informed me back in July that she was in talks with 2 Supermarkets !    So whatever else you may deem as scaremongering sadly the prospect of a supermarket is a reality and a big one at that. 8.5 acres of land is on the table so I hope you don't think it will be an ASDA express ! Oh silly me they don't do small do they  Huh

Heritage

« Reply #1467 on: March 08, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »

...but the fundamental point is, that no planning application has been submitted [as far as I am aware], and no structured consultation has been undertaken with anyone of real significance. Hence the supermarket is an alleged one. There is the possibility of one, but not the probability. And the fact remains that the postings on this topic portray Marple - taking the forum as a proxy for the populace - as a rather stuffy, fussy and old-fashioned place when it comes to the real challenges of change in society. When the lack of any real knowledge breaks down - as it seems to do at the end of every thread - then tired behaviours emerge again of slights, insults and prattle about fairly nondescript aspects of the 'debate'.... Sad
Miss Marple

« Reply #1468 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »

Heritage I agree with some points of what you say, but when you say them or call the process that has developed, please be mindful that if it had not been for MIA the people of MARPLE would be non the wiser.  Ms Cassidy and the corporation were outraged when staff leaked the information out to the public.  Did you have sight of the emails I posted on this site, which the college after taking legal advice asked admin to remove?  If you did then forgive me for repeating myself, but the contents of the emails were quite intimidating to staff members from Ms Cassidy. In one she wrote that she had been inundated with calls from the Town Hall, members of the public and other interested parties and as a result it had been decided that staff would not receive anymore information until the deal had been signed.
So Heritage you must forgive MIA for exposing this matter. Because we believe that staff, local shops, businesses and the residents living next to the two sites had a right to know.  I was given this information by a concerned staff member, what did you want me to do with it ? Act like Ms Cassidy and the corporation and try to deceive the people of Marple ?  Never I set higher standards for myself than that.

Belly

« Reply #1469 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »

Heritage I agree with some points of what you say, but when you say them or call the process that has developed, please be mindful that if it had not been for MIA the people of MARPLE would be non the wiser.  Ms Cassidy and the corporation were outraged when staff leaked the information out to the public.  Did you have sight of the emails I posted on this site, which the college after taking legal advice asked admin to remove?  If you did then forgive me for repeating myself, but the contents of the emails were quite intimidating to staff members from Ms Cassidy. In one she wrote that she had been inundated with calls from the Town Hall, members of the public and other interested parties and as a result it had been decided that staff would not receive anymore information until the deal had been signed.
So Heritage you must forgive MIA for exposing this matter. Because we believe that staff, local shops, businesses and the residents living next to the two sites had a right to know.  I was given this information by a concerned staff member, what did you want me to do with it ? Act like Ms Cassidy and the corporation and try to deceive the people of Marple ?  Never I set higher standards for myself than that.
My only question on this is why do we 'have a right to know' what an individual or organisation is thinking / considering / planning? Is this the local thought police at work here?  Cheesy

Ultimately if the college were considering selling (or perhaps more accurately 'optioning') their land to whoever and for whatever purpose, there is an argument that it was their business. Why must we know anything before a planning application was submitted? The whole point of the planning application process is that it is on submission of the application that full public consultation takes place, i.e. once there are facts on the table to consider and debate. There are no rules that say that the public must be informed as to what an individual or organisation might be thinking about doing months or years in advance of doing it.

Given that the information was leaked before CAMSFC had a plan in place to present (indeed before they even had a buyer for the land) I'm not surprised they were a little miffed that things got out and all hell broke loose. It precipitated them being asked lots of questions that they were not able to answer and had the result of winding the community up into a frenzy about a scheme that wasn't even a formal proposal.

I have no problem with MIA seeking to object to the concept of a supermarket at Hibbert Lane, but I do get tired of the constant accusations of skulduggery - when what it seems to amount to is the college being put in a very awkward position by some of its own employees when trying to 'plan' an option to secures it's future and then trying (rather awkwardly admittedly) to rescue the situation.

I have a lot of sympathy with a lot of things that Heritage has been saying over the last few days - don't waste all your ammo shooting wildly into the dark.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 129
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite