The Bell at the Ring o' Bells

Poll

Do you approve, oppose or not care if a supermarket were built on the Hibbert Lane site?

I object to a supermarket being built on the site.
I approve of a supermarket being built on the site.
I don't mind what is done with it.

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 146698 times)

amazon

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1440 on: February 27, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
The swimming pool, just like the library, or even the cinema, is one of those amenities that very few people use yet there is an outcry whenever there is suggestion one may close.

Personally, I think it would be advantageous to have just one swimming pool and library is Stockport town centre and none others in the borough - council tax would go right down!

I don't mind the college being demolished but a new large supermarket seems a bit OTT for this area - more council housing would be a better addition to the area.
. So the elderly people have to go to Stockport to use a library I don't think so .

amazon

« Reply #1441 on: February 27, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield.
How come then on a Sunday, once you manage to get past the lights where Tesco is the traffic miraculously disappears?

Probably because it's a Sunday and so there's no commerical traffic over the Pass. Try going through Glossop at any other time as I find the traffic doesn't disappear until you get past the traffic lights in the centre of Glossop (which are the last set on the A57 until you get to the Ladybower Reservoir).

Glossop has the same traffic issues with the Snake as Hollingworth/Tintwhistle does with the Woodhead, shear volume of through traffic. And you certainly can't blame Hollingworth's problems on a Supermarket.

All ways been like that even before a supermarket they sayif  your not out of Glossop before 7.30 in a morning you will be late for work

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1442 on: March 01, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
Hello Miss M, apologies for my delayed response to your posting but I've been out of town for a few days - no computer access.

You really need to read these postings carefully before you start shooting from the lip - sorry hip. I didn't actually say that YOU went to Councillors' surgeries in fact I know that YOU PERSONALLY didn't. The record will show that what I said was that MIA did - which they did.

Anyway the point to this is that Local Councillors and MIA have held hands together and deprived local democracy from having any kind of say one way or another in the ASDA planning application. It doesn't really matter whether Councillors jumped on MIA's bandwagon what does matter is that it was provided by MIA in the first place and in the second place they were practically heaved upon it by MIA. It would have been far more representative of the Marple Community if Local Councillors and MIA had understood about pre-determination and then Councillors could have kept their powder dry until the Planning App comes in. So you are both to blame as much as each other.

In fact you have helped ASDA come to town instead of deterring it. MIA by behaving in such a way has nullified the efforts of the marches and rallies of the ordinary people of MARPLE - well it would have done if Asda take any notice of popular opinion - which they don't of course!

Oh! by the way - identities, as I've said before, I'll leave you to speculate on that - have as many guesses as you like - it really has no relevance.

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1443 on: March 01, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
All ways been like that even before a supermarket they sayif  your not out of Glossop before 7.30 in a morning you will be late for work

My sister lives in Glossop - has done since 1981. She works in Manchester City Centre. Most days she uses the train but ocassionally she has to go in by car. When she does she leaves home at 7-15am to be certain of being in for 9am. She's been doing that for years - long before Tesco came to town.

amazon

« Reply #1444 on: March 01, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »

My sister lives in Glossop - has done since 1981. She works in Manchester City Centre. Most days she uses the train but ocassionally she has to go in by car. When she does she leaves home at 7-15am to be certain of being in for 9am. She's been doing that for years - long before Tesco came to town.

That's what I said in my posting .

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1445 on: March 01, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

THAT'S AMAZING AMAZON - MUST BE SOME KIND OF TELEPATHIC TOGETHERNESS.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1446 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
Hi Finetime I find your analysis amusing, it has brought some humour into my politically naive life, so for that I thank you !    Lol  :D
BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!

Dave

« Reply #1447 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
It doesn't really matter whether Councillors jumped on MIA's bandwagon what does matter is that it was provided by MIA in the first place and in the second place they were practically heaved upon it by MIA.
Indeed - and many of us watched it happen at the 'party in the park' last July!

In fact you have helped ASDA come to town instead of deterring it. MIA by behaving in such a way has nullified the efforts of the marches and rallies of the ordinary people of MARPLE - well it would have done if Asda take any notice of popular opinion - which they don't of course!

I don't speak for MIA - far from it - but I always thought the marches and rallies were aimed at the college, not Asda? 

Whatever - as you say, finetime, Asda would never take any notice of such protests, and so far, thank goodness, neither has the college.  Only our councillors have allowed themselves to be browbeaten by all the fuss and commotion - oh, and our MP, which was a surprise and a disappointment - I expected better than that from him.    :(

As for 'popular opinion', we don't know what that is, yet. If you talk to friends and neighbours about this, as we all do, opinions seem to be divided.  Some are strongly opposed, some are strongly in favour, but my totally unscientific impression is that a lot of sensible people are waiting until they can see the proposals before they rush to judgement.

Barbara

« Reply #1448 on: March 02, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
I agree Dave, people are waiting for specific proposals before making up their minds.  And on a lighter note - are we declaring at 100 pages??? 

Dave

« Reply #1449 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
I think it should be up to Miss M to declare a cease-fire   ;D

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1450 on: March 02, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »

As for 'popular opinion', we don't know what that is, yet. If you talk to friends and neighbours about this, as we all do, opinions seem to be divided.  Some are strongly opposed, some are strongly in favour, but my totally unscientific impression is that a lot of sensible people are waiting until they can see the proposals before they rush to judgement.

When I say popular opinion, I don't necessarily mean that the  "most" popular opinion is in the NO camp. For I agree with you Dave - we don't really know which way the wind blows on that one. There may indeed be as many FOR as there are AGAINST - or even MORE FOR than there are AGAINST. I accept that if you consider the petition that the NO camp seems to be bigger, but these petitions are inconclusive and at the moment many of these signatories are against the "idea" - they are not sure about the substance as nobody yet knows what that substance is.

Personally, I will wait until some plans and some sequential test results come into view before my mind is made up and I expect that many hold the same view.  Let's just see what comes to the table.

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1451 on: March 02, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Hi Finetime I find your analysis amusing, it has brought some humour into my politically naive life, so for that I thank you !    Lol  :D

Thank you Miss Marple, your comments are indeed gracious.

There is one small question though, it is perhaps an example of MY OWN naivety....call me old-fashioned, I don't mind but I have never really been able to keep up with the Americanization of the English Language. To my deep chagrin I have never even watched one part of an episode of "Friends" nor have I seen the same of "Hannah Montana" or is it "Savannah"....apologies, I don't really know.

Anyway, I have heard several versions of this acronym....but what actually does LOl mean?           

heather

« Reply #1452 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
laugh out loud
and i said to the man who stood at the gate of the year    give me a light so i may tread safely into the unknown

amazon

« Reply #1453 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
Hi Finetime I find your analysis amusing, it has brought some humour into my politically naive life, so for that I thank you !    Lol  :D

Thank you Miss Marple, your comments are indeed gracious.

There is one small question though, it is perhaps an example of MY OWN naivety....call me old-fashioned, I don't mind but I have never really been able to keep up with the Americanization of the English Language. To my deep chagrin I have never even watched one part of an episode of "Friends" nor have I seen the same of "Hannah Montana" or is it "Savannah"....apologies, I don't really know.

Anyway, I have heard several versions of this acronym....but what actually does LOl mean?          

Wish you would speak in English .or go for a walk it's lovely out side .

amazon

« Reply #1454 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »

THAT'S AMAZING AMAZON - MUST BE SOME KIND OF TELEPATHIC TOGETHERNESS.

It's rude to shout .