Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
July 31, 2014, 04:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Call High Lane Garage for a polite, fast response on low mileage cars

Poll
Question: Do you approve, oppose or not care if a supermarket were built on the Hibbert Lane site?
I object to a supermarket being built on the site.
I approve of a supermarket being built on the site.
I don't mind what is done with it.

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 129
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 126639 times)
Miss Marple

« Reply #1425 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »

Continuing; 2

What actually happened was this.

MIA furious at the prospect of this "Supermarket" and totally ignorant in the nuances of the planning process, as part of its NO CAMPAIGN set about political intimidation of local Councillors. This involved such things as visiting Councillors in their surgeries in Marple Public Library and threatening various political tactics unless Councillors publicly joined the NO CAMPAIGN - it has to be said here that MIA were completely oblivious to "contamination of vote by pre-determination" but Councillors being Councillors were not - nor at least should not have been. At least three Councillors were threatened in this way at their public surgeries. They were SA, MC AND KD. What then followed is of course  a matter of record as Councillors; Alexander & Candler quickly caved in followed by Councillor Wright. We can only assume that Cllr KD did not.

In the ensuing months these three Councillors would denounce the Supermarket at every opportunity. This would include making verbal statements at the extraordinary AC, a convention recorded on CCTV, speaking at MIA rallies - and also providing written statements at the written behest of MIA.

In doing so they have contaminated their view by pre-determination in a completety, irrevocable and
unprecendented way and have disqualified themseves from playing any part whatsoever in the planning process for the Hibbert Lane Supermarket.

Why have they behaved in such a way?.....TO BE CONTINUED...
Oh dear Finetime you have dropped a bit of a mess and political b*****k  there haven't you.  I can assure you that I have never been to councillor surgery and for your information the 3 councillors that you name all came to the first ever MIA meeting back in June !    Now you are one of three people ! Now let me think Huh  Is your partner a council member  Huh? Or are you a member of a certain group  ???or are you the person that thinks they can develop MARPLE single handed and reap all the  rewards without consultation  Huh  Oh now let me think this one over

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Belly

« Reply #1426 on: February 26, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »

I might be wrong here, but I thought MIA effectively publically challenged the local councillors and the MP to come out in support of the group and attend the public rally (if not, its the impression that I got from the various statements on this board). That potentially put the Councillors between a rock and a hard place didn't it? If they didn't come out in support, they would have been lambasted and they knew it, but in so doing it effectively means that they can't now argue that they would give any future planning application due consideration. Which is a shame as the application will now probably be considered / determined by non Marple councillors.

I guess it was always going to work out like that though and I can see the benefit of the strongest possible local campaign for MIA.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...
Miss Marple

« Reply #1427 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »

I might be wrong here, but I thought MIA effectively publically challenged the local councillors and the MP to come out in support of the group and attend the public rally (if not, its the impression that I got from the various statements on this board). That potentially put the Councillors between a rock and a hard place didn't it? If they didn't come out in support, they would have been lambasted and they knew it, but in so doing it effectively means that they can't now argue that they would give any future planning application due consideration. Which is a shame as the application will now probably be considered / determined by non Marple councillors.

I guess it was always going to work out like that though and I can see the benefit of the strongest possible local campaign for MIA.

No Belly you could not be further from the truth!  Our first ever MIA meeting was held in June and all interested people who had read this thread on the forum sent me a PM and attended a meeting.  Councillors also attended this meeting and informed us that they knew nothing about the sale of CAMSFC to a supermarket, which seems a little strange as one of the Councillors was Shan Alexander who was a governour at the college when they first started their talks with land buyers.  As I have said before some councillors jumped before the truth was out IE they did not want to vote against something that they possibly once supported and kept secret from the community.  It's politics with a small p and it stinks and the people of MARPLE need to know the truth  Undecided

Belly

« Reply #1428 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »

Happy to be put straight!

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...
marpleexile

« Reply #1429 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »

discussed the nuances of a 'new' supermarket in Marple with counterparts/ friends/ colleagues who live in Glossop or Poynton, both of which remain vibrant
I haven't heard anyone from Glossop or Ponton who think that the new supermarket developments in these towns have beneficial. In fact I've spoken to a number of people who use to shop there who now travel to Marple instead.
Also both Glossop and Poynton from a traffic point of view have become NO GO areas.

The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield. The traffic in the centre of Glossop was noticeably absent during the recent cold snaps, when the Pass was closed.

And as for Poynton, isn't the main route through there the main artery linking Macclesfield to Stockport/Manchester?

Both towns had major traffic problems prior to the supermarkets, and would continue to have them long after were they ever to shut.
Miss Marple

« Reply #1430 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »

Oh and another thing ! Andrew Stunnall (mp) Shan Alexander and Martin Candler had their picture taken with that now famous slogan " Think Again " outside the college before MIA had even spoken to Andrew Stunnall so Finetimefontaine you really needs to get up to speed before you try to discredit MIA   Word to the wise ! Don't believe the hype.

Victor M

« Reply #1431 on: February 26, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »

At the 1st public meeting SMBC officials actually stated that as this potential development would be so big (and they had had pre-planning meetings by then) that the application would never go to the local area committee, it would be pulled and go straight to Full council. So what's all the winging about?
Victor M

« Reply #1432 on: February 26, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »

The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield.
How come then on a Sunday, once you manage to get past the lights where Tesco is the traffic miraculously disappears?
Heritage

« Reply #1433 on: February 26, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »

Because Tesco is open on a Sunday....and most of the smaller Glossop shops aren't  Undecided
marpleexile

« Reply #1434 on: February 27, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »

The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield.
How come then on a Sunday, once you manage to get past the lights where Tesco is the traffic miraculously disappears?

Probably because it's a Sunday and so there's no commerical traffic over the Pass. Try going through Glossop at any other time as I find the traffic doesn't disappear until you get past the traffic lights in the centre of Glossop (which are the last set on the A57 until you get to the Ladybower Reservoir).

Glossop has the same traffic issues with the Snake as Hollingworth/Tintwhistle does with the Woodhead, shear volume of through traffic. And you certainly can't blame Hollingworth's problems on a Supermarket.
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1435 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »

I think from your last post you have now divulged your identity, and may be using this forum to promote your own personal business issues. If you have evidence of intimidation please divulge it to the rest of the forum.

Interesting observation Victor and although I would dearly love to be well known, I am afraid that you are on the wrong bus here! I doubt that my name would mean anything to the people of Marple. However, please feel most welcome in fact far as I am concerned please feel positively encouraged to guess, speculate or assume anything that you wish as this only adds to the intrigue - of which I am a fan - but most of all please be patient - I have a busy week out of town for part of this week but upon my return there is much more of my essay to come.          
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1436 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »

WRONG !!!   The councillors jumped on the MIA band wagon and could not wait to vote against a supermarket.  Now I have always smelt a rat with some councillors  jumping ship and climbing on board MIA   I have not quite worked  it out yet, but Hey I Will !!!  I think it's what they call damage limitation by some of our councillors.   The truth will soon be out !

Dear Miss Marple, Considering that you purport to be a "Community Leader" your innocence and politiical naivette is almost beguiling.
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1437 on: February 27, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

Finetime,What on earth has rattled your cage since you registered on the Forum 12 days ago?You make some serious allegations about bullying?How can a few people bully and intimidate the councillors?What could these people possibly threaten them with?MIA are not a political organisation and those councillors are not fit for purpose if they cannot stand their ground.It is laughable!You Quote In doing so they have contaminated their view by pre-determination in a completety, irrevocable and unprecendented way and have disqualified themseves from playing any part whatsoever in the planning process for the Hibbert Lane Supermarket.Of course they know that, it was mentioned a long time ago and is of no concern to MIA.Who are just a bunch of people who are fighting against,in theirs and many other peoples opinion, the destruction of Marple town centre,the disruption to people whose homes surround the Hibbert Lane site and the Buxton Lane site and also increased traffic.Why don't you tell us more about yourself? Wink

Dear Mrs O,
I agee with much (not all) of what you say Councillors deserve to be criticised as much as the leadership of MIA and they will be. Please distinguish between the "leaders of MIA and the ordinary people of Marple - they are not one and the same. I am just an ordinary person who is a bit closer to the action than many of those who think they are....please be patient...

Miss Marple

« Reply #1438 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »

WRONG !!!   The councillors jumped on the MIA band wagon and could not wait to vote against a supermarket.  Now I have always smelt a rat with some councillors  jumping ship and climbing on board MIA   I have not quite worked  it out yet, but Hey I Will !!!  I think it's what they call damage limitation by some of our councillors.   The truth will soon be out !

Dear Miss Marple, Considering that you purport to be a "Community Leader" your innocence and politiical naivette is almost beguiling.
It takes me all my time to support myself !  I purport to be nothing more than a messenger, an informed one at that !  And please do not insult my intelligence, I act this way as not to insult yours  Kiss

Miss Marple

« Reply #1439 on: February 27, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

[quote I think from your last post you have now divulged your identity, and may be using this forum to promote your own personal business issues. If you have evidence of intimidation please divulge it to the rest of the forum.

Interesting observation Victor and although I would dearly love to be well known, I am afraid that you are on the wrong bus here! I doubt that my name would mean anything to the people of Marple. However, please feel most welcome in fact far as I am concerned please feel positively encouraged to guess, speculate or assume anything that you wish as this only adds to the intrigue - of which I am a fan - but most of all please be patient - I have a busy week out of town for part of this week but upon my return there is much more of my essay to come.        

Have you not got an iPhone or iPad as I fear I may not be able to contain myself for that length of time  Cheesy  Hey keep it short when you do pop up again,  we don't want War and Peace !

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 129
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite