All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 700303 times)

Harry

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #728 on: August 27, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »
I can't agree with marplexile that the town is 'dying' - far from it: I've lived here for 27 years and the town and its shops are better now than at any time during that period.

This comment, that Marple's shops are better now, got me thinking of all the shops that have disappeared. The ones that spring to mind, working from the west of the District Centre, are:

DownTown - cane furniture
Frank Hutchinsons - butcher
Stiffs - grocer & greengrocer
Joyce Gorman - dresses
Barrets - off license
Arnie's - hardware
Meakins - butcher
Fishmonger
J.H.Neal - greengrocer
Wrights - bakers
La Femme Chique - bridal gowns
West Coast Wines - off license
Chocolate Box - sweet shop
Marple Arch - furnishings
Mulligans - boxes, buckets, etc
Television & Radio shop
Artists supplies
M&S seconds - clothing
Hanburys
John's Super Save - discount toiletries
Sweet & Chocolate shop
Plan it travel - travel agent
First Choice Travel - travel agent
Clarks - shoes
Presents - glassware & ornaments
High Class shoes - shoes
Lighting shop
Gainsborough galleries - art & artist supplies

I'm sure I've missed quite a few, and these are probably not in the correct sequence. In some cases I can remember the shop but not its name.

What have we got to replace this lot? A few deli/cafes, pound shop, second hand shop and charity shops. And lots of empty shops.

When you look what we've lost, can anyone really say that its now better?

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #727 on: August 27, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
To have a fair point across on Saturday when you have been doing have your petition it would of been fair if you had had one for yes to supermarket to give it chance.

Start a petition/campaign then, why should those opposed to the supermarket do the job of those in favour?

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #726 on: August 27, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
Yes, it would mean more traffic in Marple, and there would inevitably need to be some road works to deal with that. On the other hand, there would be some easing of congestion elsewhere (Hazel Grove, Bredbury etc), as many of us will stop driving out of Marple to do our shopping.

So we should accept the proposed supermarket and traffic issues as we will be helping to address traffic elsewhere in Stockport?  Sorry, but accepting that there would be increased traffic, congestion, and therefore the associated problems of ratrunning etc and then justifying it because we would be easing traffic in other areas, just doesn't wash.

Harry

« Reply #725 on: August 27, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
CAMSFC have already stated that the revenue they receive from the sale of the Hibbert Lane site will be used to redevelop Buxton Lane. This new speculation is entirely fictional and intended merely to create FUD.

I'm only working from the latest-available minutes from the CAMSFC Estates committee, see copy of them here, on the College's site.  

It's regrettable that the minutes for later meetings have not been published yet : their release would certainly reduce the opportunity for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Those minutes are over a year old.

Why not take heed of the statement issued by the Chair of Governors earlier this month, where he said 'There is no doubt that the Marple campus of Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College is in need of urgent investment and we must sell the land at Hibbert Lane to afford this investment'. There is no ambiguity there. They intend to sell Hibbert Lane in order to invest in Buxton Lane.

Dave

« Reply #724 on: August 27, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Amazon, thanks for the correction. I was told it was 15 million, but your sum seems much more likely!

Dave

« Reply #723 on: August 27, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
Yes, it would mean more traffic in Marple, and there would inevitably need to be some road works to deal with that. On the other hand, there would be some easing of congestion elsewhere (Hazel Grove, Bredbury etc), as many of us will stop driving out of Marple to do our shopping.

Re the college's development plans, that's an interesting reminder above of the options which were considered by the college, and in particular that consolidation of the Cheadle and Marple campuses on to a single site seems to have been ruled out on cost grounds. The notion that the college may move away from Marple is a red herring!

Susan

« Reply #722 on: August 27, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
Smithy 166 the reason why there was no likes, was because it was a closed group with invites only it has now been changed to a open group with you can click on like.
 We are sick of hearing the no to tesco and asda and feel that it needs to be said that you have no right in saying that all of marple don't want a supermarket. To have a fair point across on Saturday when you have been doing have your petition it would of been fair if you had had one for yes to supermarket to give it chance.

Just wondering how many that have said no to the supermarket actually shop in marple at the coop or do they go out of marple to do a big shop at that said shops.

Rachael

« Reply #721 on: August 27, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
I believe that the sizeable development at Aquinas cost around 15 million, so the college will be able to do quite a lot with 12 million at Buxton Lane. And if they need a bit more they should be able to borrow at faourable rates.

The danger of the college moving away from Marple is zero - I can't imagine where that nonsense came from!

The Aquinas development cost 42 million .

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #720 on: August 27, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »
If we can reverse that flow, so that we residents do our 'big shop' here, and also attract new shoppers from neighbouring areas,

This suggests trips to the potential supermarket being done in cars.

but others would open, attracted to the town by the increased 'footfall'.

Therefore I don't think it's correct to suggest an increase in 'footfall' for the shops in the precinct.  I would imagine that any supermarket would restrict the time you could park up in their car park so it's just speculation that people would get in their car, drive in to Marple centre, and shop again. I think your post does suggest a big increase in traffic.

NeilCorrie

« Reply #719 on: August 27, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
CAMSFC have already stated that the revenue they receive from the sale of the Hibbert Lane site will be used to redevelop Buxton Lane. This new speculation is entirely fictional and intended merely to create FUD.

I'm only working from the latest-available minutes from the CAMSFC Estates committee, see copy of them here, on the College's site.  

It's regrettable that the minutes for later meetings have not been published yet : their release would certainly reduce the opportunity for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Quote from: CAMSFC Estates Committee Meeting 17th June 2010, published December 2010
There appeared  to be three clear avenues to follow in the short and long term, briefly summarised as:
  • Try to obtain planning consent for development at Cheadle.  The cost of planning consultants was estimated at £25 - £30 k, although this was subject to confirmation and had the potential to be more. A tender process would be involved.
  • Continue discussions with the Local Authority about the possibility of moving to a single site. The risk associated with moving to one site was that there could be a need to borrow significant amounts of additional funds.
  • Investigate options for the Marple campus. Initially any consultancy fees could be kept to a minimum.

Estates Committee agreed that the College should move forward in a way that did not prejudice the final view taken. Dialogue would continue with the Local Authority. The Corporation would need to be sure that all the proposed options were being reviewed thoroughly.

The Committee recommended for approval by Corporation that the Estates Strategy be progressed as detailed in the three options recommended by Principalship.
The recommendation of the Committee would be reported back to the consultants.

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #718 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »

I think some may not take what CAMSFC says as gospel Harry, given their shenanigans over the Hibbert Lane site.  You may disagree but if MIA activists want to explore their intentions for the Buxton Lane site, they should certainly do so, if only to ensure that CAMSFC's intentions are fully transparent and open to scrutiny.  For those of us that disagree with a supermarket on Hibbert lane, and to be clear, I do oppose it, MIA are doing a fantastic job.

Harry

« Reply #717 on: August 27, 2011, 11:03:04 AM »
I believe that the sizeable development at Aquinas cost around 15 million, so the college will be able to do quite a lot with 12 million at Buxton Lane. And if they need a bit more they should be able to borrow at faourable rates.
CAMSFC actually wanted 60 million originally, see Stockport Express : Cash for new college building withdrawn, so they'll have to considerably scale back their development plans I guess.

They already have considerably scaled back their development plans. The original plan was to entirely redevelop the Hibbert Lane site, involving new buildings. The new plan is to add to Buxton Lane.

The danger of the college moving away from Marple is zero - I can't imagine where that nonsense came from!
Either that's speculation on your part, or you've got some well-placed inside knowledge Dave?

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #716 on: August 27, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
I have no connection with camsfc, but I did work at a college (not in this area) before I retired.

Although colleges of this sort are independent of local authorities, they are also highly regulated. Camsfc's funding, AFAIK, will be from two main sources: SMBC (for 16-18 year olds) and the Skills Funding Agency (for adult students). The funds will be per student enrolment, and will come with conditions attached, in the form of a Financial Memorandum. As 60 percent of the college's students come from Marple, the funders could (and almost certainly would) withdraw funding if the college were to move away. It's as simple as that!

Or not as simple as that.  If CAMSFC could realise £20+million from the sale of both sites, they could put forward a strong argument for relocation to a state of the art college, with the bonus of not having to borrow funds for the new development...the funding providers may well like the idea.  Re the enrollment figures, statistics can be manipulated as per necessary.  It's a possibility Dave and, as previously posted, unless you have some factual inside knowledge, you can't dismiss it.

JMC

« Reply #715 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
Another thing is that there is now a facebook group of people who want a supermarket in marple, over 120 people so far. It's likely that the supermarkets will pick up on this and compare it with those who don't want a supermarket, they could get their own petition. Recently an area was divided by a simelar issue and it appears that Tesco put on coaches etc for its supporters.
I've just had a quick search on facebook for a group about wanting a tescos in marple, The only 2 I could find had, wait for it, An amazing 0 likes!

As somebody above posted, there is at least one group with quite a few people in. One has over 120 as i said in my original post. Some of them seem to be inviting friends and may not be easily searchable but the other poster linked to it. It is interesting to note their arguments. I had a read through and the same themes are recurring such as it is alright for those who have the means to go out of town to say they don't want a supermarket but for the low income with no car etc. the possibility of a cheap supermarket (when they are already on the breadline) is welcome. People mention the fact there are not any cheap clothes shops in marple for example (I agree M&Co is expensive). How would this argument be countered as i am pretty sure it will be used in Asda's/Tesco's favour.

Dave

« Reply #714 on: August 27, 2011, 10:12:39 AM »
I have no connection with camsfc, but I did work at a college (not in this area) before I retired.

Although colleges of this sort are independent of local authorities, they are also highly regulated. Camsfc's funding, AFAIK, will be from two main sources: SMBC (for 16-18 year olds) and the Skills Funding Agency (for adult students). The funds will be per student enrolment, and will come with conditions attached, in the form of a Financial Memorandum. As 60 percent of the college's students come from Marple, the funders could (and almost certainly would) withdraw funding if the college were to move away. It's as simple as that!