Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Marple Between the Wars by Carl Cieka  (Read 14534 times)

Tricky

Re: Marple Between the Wars by Carl Cieka
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
Just bumping this..

You can hear this protest song performed LIVE tonight..

Evening of Music and Laughter.
(All proceeds to the MIA fighting fund)

Details below

meh

Jay

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »

Here it is if it hasn't been posted before!

Love it!!!  ;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
Well done Neil and Carl it's great ! 

JMC

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
I love Billy Bragg.

anyhow.. I've been tinkering myself and have been thinking about a re-write of the Smiths' song Panic

(I'll probably spare you the recording)

Panic on the streets ‘round Hibbert Lane
Panic on the Marple forum again
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again ?
The tired old high street that you shop down?
I wonder to myself
Witch-hunt with an added spread of fear
‘Big shoppers’, you're not welcome here
So you run down
To the stores of another town
But there's Panic on the streets of Waterside
Woodville, Lyme Grove, Mount Drive
I wonder to myself

Will there be a Tesco?
Will it kill the high street?
Because the plans of which are constantly referred
SAY NOTHING BECAUSE THEY DON’T YET EXIST
Hang the blessed principle
Because the rumour they constantly say

On the Marple side-streets that you slip down
Provincial town you jog 'round
Sign the survey, Sign the survey, Sign the survey
SIGN THE SURVEY, SIGN THE SURVEY, SIGN THE SURVEY
SIGN THE SURVEY, SIGN THE SURVEY
SIGN THE SURVEY

I like that one, well done  :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
Well done Neil - interesting that the Costa Coffee is coming true already - maybe the lyrics are not so far-fetched afterall!

It's now on the Facebook page and will go on the MiA site shortly.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

NeilCorrie

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 10:18:20 AM »
Popped a copy of it on YouTube, with pics added.  Thanks to Carl for a great reworking of the Billy Bragg classic.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »
Fantastic Carl !  Well done !  I am a Billy Bragg fan and think you have really done it justice.  Hey Billy would be proud of you.   Is it on tube yet ?

It's not a video, just audio, so it can't go on youtube. I've been talking to someone about adding it as a soundtrack to some video and if that turns out to be possible then it can go on.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »
Fantastic Carl !  Well done !  I am a Billy Bragg fan and think you have really done it justice.  Hey Billy would be proud of you.   Is it on tube yet ?

Henry_

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
Well done on the song lyrics, but there is absolutely zero evidence that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would sound the death knell of the town centre in favour of more big chains.

In fact when you look at the likes of Glossop, Whaley, Buxton etc you could come the conclusion that the opposite outcome would come about.

Oh yeah, because Glossop is just like Marple isn't it?  The town centre isn't what it was, and I don't need you to tell me that some old bloke there thinks it's better because I used to go there a lot.  The traffic is appalling and the Tesco was swiftly followed by KFC, Next etc... Are you serious that you think it's a better place than it was? 

And Mum Of 2, I'm going to start calling myself Dad Of 2, only a Dad who cares what the place his kids grow up in is like, and doesn't want to gamble that to save a fiver a week on shopping.
Do you think you'll save enough by the time your kids are teens to compensate them for their pleasant place to live changing?  I always thought that as parents we stretch ourselves so that our kids can have better?  You seem to think that the money you can save at a big spermarket is the only factor worth considering, and are happy to bury your head in the sand and pretend everyone else is talking nonsense without basis, because HWL says Glossop is better... Sorry, but living in Marple not Glossop is worth more to me and the future of my kids than whatever you can save at Tesco - which, by the way, I'm not convinced is particularly much.
You can come back with 'but the college needs the money' as much as you want, but £12m isn't as much as it seems and  the college hasn't got much chance in my opinion if it sells the Hibbert Lane site.
The song is good, and we know your opinion already, not quite sure why you need to interject again to tell us after the song lyrics were posted.
You are right, you will never truly know about the effects until the supermarket is built.  But when it is built, lord knows you won't have a prayer of going back to how Marple was.

I never said Glossop was better, just that it's town centre has hardly been decimated by an out of centre supermarket (which Daniel has thankfully also underlined in a subsequent post). Fear of change is a very natural human emotion.

Tricky

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
I love Billy Bragg.

anyhow.. I've been tinkering myself and have been thinking about a re-write of the Smiths' song Panic

(I'll probably spare you the recording)

Panic on the streets ‘round Hibbert Lane
Panic on the Marple forum again
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again ?
The tired old high street that you shop down?
I wonder to myself
Witch-hunt with an added spread of fear
‘Big shoppers’, you're not welcome here
So you run down
To the stores of another town
But there's Panic on the streets of Waterside
Woodville, Lyme Grove, Mount Drive
I wonder to myself

Will there be a Tesco?
Will it kill the high street?
Because the plans of which are constantly referred
SAY NOTHING BECAUSE THEY DON’T YET EXIST
Hang the blessed principle
Because the rumour they constantly say

On the Marple side-streets that you slip down
Provincial town you jog 'round
SIGN THE SURVEY, SIGN THE SURVEY, SIGN THE SURVEY
SIGN THE SURVEY
meh

Howard

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »
Well he's done it and it is brilliant! Well done Carl! I've broken out all the posts I could find relating to this into a separate thread.

A tongue-in-cheek reworking of Billy Bragg's Between the Wars by Carl Cieka in protest at the Plans of Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College to sell their Hibbert Lane Campus for development as a supermarket.

Also on the Marple in Action Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/marpleinaction

Pretty good! I actually have Billy Bragg's EP from 1985 somewhere in the house.

Smithy166

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
I think people are also forgeting that the glossop town centre is a ways away from the tesco superstore. the store was also built on what I belive to be an old factory/mill.

marple_syrup

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »
Well done on the song lyrics, but there is absolutely zero evidence that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would sound the death knell of the town centre in favour of more big chains.

In fact when you look at the likes of Glossop, Whaley, Buxton etc you could come the conclusion that the opposite outcome would come about.

Oh yeah, because Glossop is just like Marple isn't it?  The town centre isn't what it was, and I don't need you to tell me that some old bloke there thinks it's better because I used to go there a lot.  The traffic is appalling and the Tesco was swiftly followed by KFC, Next etc... Are you serious that you think it's a better place than it was? 

And Mum Of 2, I'm going to start calling myself Dad Of 2, only a Dad who cares what the place his kids grow up in is like, and doesn't want to gamble that to save a fiver a week on shopping.
Do you think you'll save enough by the time your kids are teens to compensate them for their pleasant place to live changing?  I always thought that as parents we stretch ourselves so that our kids can have better?  You seem to think that the money you can save at a big spermarket is the only factor worth considering, and are happy to bury your head in the sand and pretend everyone else is talking nonsense without basis, because HWL says Glossop is better... Sorry, but living in Marple not Glossop is worth more to me and the future of my kids than whatever you can save at Tesco - which, by the way, I'm not convinced is particularly much.
You can come back with 'but the college needs the money' as much as you want, but £12m isn't as much as it seems and  the college hasn't got much chance in my opinion if it sells the Hibbert Lane site.
The song is good, and we know your opinion already, not quite sure why you need to interject again to tell us after the song lyrics were posted.
You are right, you will never truly know about the effects until the supermarket is built.  But when it is built, lord knows you won't have a prayer of going back to how Marple was.

tina

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 07:53:47 AM »
very good! I like it.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 07:00:24 AM »
Well he's done it and it is brilliant! Well done Carl! I've broken out all the posts I could find relating to this into a separate thread.

A tongue-in-cheek reworking of Billy Bragg's Between the Wars by Carl Cieka in protest at the Plans of Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College to sell their Hibbert Lane Campus for development as a supermarket.

Also on the Marple in Action Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/marpleinaction
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website