Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: birds  (Read 2107 times)

jogger

Re: birds
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
Saw a Perigrine falcon on Bleaklow the other week whilst running the 4 Inns, plenty of Curlews and Wheaters near Pistol farm at the moment.

There is also a breeding pair of Buzzards near Gird Lane

nbt

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »
Red kites over Werneth Low is a *MASSIVE* surprise, the nearest ones I'm aware of would have been north wales (we saw some over the Denbigh moors on Sunday). If they've move over here that's great news, I think I might have a wander around Werneth this weekend!
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

myloweb

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
There are alot of Kingfishers on the river down from the 2nd weir in Brabyns.
What a great time of year this is.

marveld

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
There were swallows today at the Marple Dale weir along with yellow wagtails. Along the stretch of river between the weir and the farm there are also mandarin ducks. A few weeks ago I also spotted a kingfisher!

myloweb

birds
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
How good is this weather..How much better is this beautiful part of the World we live in.
I saw my first swallows on 6th April this year on Werneth Low. I phoned a family member who runs a local farm and he informed me that they started nesting in his barn on the 4th.
More amazingly he rang me yesterday to say they had seen 2 red kites over Werneth Low. Let's hope they have decided to nest here.
Also well worthy of a look are the Mandarin ducks at Etherow Park, they are stunning.

Etherow is a real gem. If you haven't walked around for a while treat yourself. You won't be disappointed.