Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Development of former Peacefield School site  (Read 16647 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Development of former Peacefield School site
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »
I've heard that plans are in for Stockport Homes to build housing on the Peacefield site but cannot locate the plans in the Stockport planning Portal at the moment.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
its pretty bad that they can build on a grave yard when you consider how much they charge for a grave      i remember being at woodville school for girls and being told that the school was built on a  convent and graveyard
Not true. This is another (sub)urban legend similar to the Peacefield one.
I suspect this confusion has arisen because there was a convent established in Marple Bridge around the turn of the 19th/20th century. It may have had its own burial ground because many of these houses did.  The house is long since demolished. It was on Hollins Lane and was occupied by a teaching order of nuns so may have had some connection with the old Catholic primary school hence the conflation with Peacefield and Woodville

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
While I'm sure the eventual idea will be to squeeze it full of as many houses as possible, the Peacefield site would actually be perfect for a small park or playground. It's a long way over to Memorial Park for any kids or families from this side of Marple, probably too far to walk, and there aren't really any other open spaces nearby on this side of Marple (apart from Middlewood Way)...
But most if not all houses suitable for young families in the area have gardens

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
its pretty bad that they can build on a grave yard when you consider how much they charge for a grave      i remember being at woodville school for girls and being told that the school was built on a  convent and graveyard
Not true. This is another (sub)urban legend similar to the Peacefield one.

marpudlian

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 01:04:49 AM »
The small park behind the Dale Primary School and the park in Hawk Green don't seem to be overrun with youths in the evening.

Jay

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »
Nice thought 'rsh' since the loss of the park on Rose Lane and Carver Road but I'm sure it would be not only rejected by locals due to youths abusing it and causing a nuisance in the late hours and also cuts to local councils.... in an ideal world eh!  :-\

marpudlian

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 01:33:41 AM »
While I'm sure the eventual idea will be to squeeze it full of as many houses as possible, the Peacefield site would actually be perfect for a small park or playground. It's a long way over to Memorial Park for any kids or families from this side of Marple, probably too far to walk, and there aren't really any other open spaces nearby on this side of Marple (apart from Middlewood Way)...

The Memorial Park is less than a mile away!  :o There is also the field at the bottom of Wood Lane.

rsh

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 01:16:12 AM »

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »
Not true. It was agricultural land.

heather

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 01:34:55 PM »
The Gardeners Arms car park in Offerton was once a grave yard, or so I have been told by a old local resident of Offerton !
And I can remember the kerfuffle years ago when Norbury church wanted to level some of it's graveyard to make a car park. The graveyard was closed so they were allowed to do so. There aren't many churches in the area that still have open graveyards and a lot of churches have extentions built on what would at one time have been part of the graveyard so building on them can't be illegal.

Very old graveyards are an interesting source of social history but otherwise I can't see that any of the late occupants are going to complain about a change of use.

Jay

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
The car park behind the pound shop in the grove (A6) is an old grave yard. It still has some grave stones in there at the top end!

Miss Marple

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
The Gardeners Arms car park in Offerton was once a grave yard, or so I have been told by a old local resident of Offerton !

marpudlian

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
It seems unbelievable that houses can be built on a graveyard however old it is.  :o

Harry

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »
I think its only 70 years.