Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Dog Dirt  (Read 9219 times)

Osdog

Re: Dog Dirt
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
How many dog owners will be prepared or maybe  can even afford to buy their own bags.

If they can afford to run a dog - they can afford the bags !  Just had a £800 bill from the vet !!!!!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
In fairness, If someone has taken it upon themselves to help keep the area mess free, I say well done. It's big society stuff keeping the area clean for all.

Agree that in principle it is commendable that someone wishes to keep the park poo-free. However, the amount of stickers that have been placed in the park recently (and particularly those stuck on our noticeboards - not in but on) are excessive and amount to graffiti. I don't see that this over-zealous use is giving any benefit over and above what a slightly more subtle approach would achieve. It certainly isn't achieving the objective as the park remains full of poo. There seem to be two types of dog owners, those who pick up and those who don't. The latter do not seem to be greatly influenced by signs, no matter how many there are. What we need is them to be caught and fined.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Ah! and now the topics are merged  ::)

One of the unfortunate downsides of the campaign to pick up dog dirt in public places (which I fully support) has been the over-zealous posting of "Clean-up after your Dog" stickers in Memorial Park. There are now two on every lampost and most other stationary objects.

I understand that it is a member of the public doing this and not the Dog Warden. If anyone does know who it is I'd like to have words with them about the ones on our park noticeboards. We will be replacing the board near to the main entrance in the near future and I would like to ensure that the new one is not subject to sticker attack in the same way as the existing ones!    

In fairness, If someone has taken it upon themselves to help keep the area mess free, I say well done. It's big society stuff keeping the area clean for all.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »
Ah! and now the topics are merged  ::)

One of the unfortunate downsides of the campaign to pick up dog dirt in public places (which I fully support) has been the over-zealous posting of "Clean-up after your Dog" stickers in Memorial Park. There are now two on every lampost and most other stationary objects.

I understand that it is a member of the public doing this and not the Dog Warden. If anyone does know who it is I'd like to have words with them about the ones on our park noticeboards. We will be replacing the board near to the main entrance in the near future and I would like to ensure that the new one is not subject to sticker attack in the same way as the existing ones!    
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Tricky

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
Alan you have done this exact thread before..

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=2433.msg8657;topicseen#msg8657

and the link AGAIN to report via the web.. https://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/dogfouling/dogfouling.aspx

or contact via

Dog Warden Service

Environmental Health & Trading Standards
Stopford House Piccadilly Stockport SK1 3XE
Tel. No. 0161 474 4207
Fax. 0161 474 4369
Email. community@stockport.gov.uk
meh

Dave

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
And isn't it time horses were made to wear nappies?   :D

Barbara

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
And then can somebody educate the local badgers/foxes who deposit on the pavements round here?   :(

Duke Fame

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
i have 2 dogs and pick it up every single time and then put it in the next bin i come too my dogs have the faces of bambi but the back ends of a donkey dont tie all dogowners together  some of us do care.................

I had our bins emptied recently and decided to give them a clean as they started to smell. Having allowed the bin to air, imagine my horror to find someone had disposed of bag of freshly laid cable in my bin. I do think dog owners should put their bags of warm fudge in their own waste food hopper using the correct biodegradable green bag.

alan@marple

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
The difference being that the dog knows no different

chicken lady

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 06:46:13 AM »
When I went to collect my supply of 'poo bags' from the library last saturday I was told that the council are no longer supplying them. How many dog owners will be prepared or maybe  can even afford to buy their own bags. I hope that the council will still provide bins for the responsible owners to deposit their dogs'deposits' in. I also wonder whether open spaces like the Memorial Park and Brabyns will be adversly affected. Not a pleasant thought.

Another point to make regarding bags left at the side of paths - I do a return route with my dog and often leave the bag to collect on the way back rather than carry it around the full walk with me. It could be that some of these bags that have been seen are just waiting to be collected on the way back. In any event, the bags are biodegradeable and at least contain the offensive deposit rather than irresponsible individuals allowing their dogs to foul our lovely woodland walks.

Bearing in mind the dire financial state of the council, I'm not sure they should be providing dog poo bags , to be honest I had no idea that they were provided free and have always bought my own. They are very cheap to buy, Sainsburys basics (other supermarkets are available) nappy sacks are around £1 for 100 bags.

While we are on the subject of dog dirt, please may I ask parents of small children to clear up after them as I do my dog, yesterday a dirty nappy was left open on the middlewood way, and last week one was left on a bench in the Memorial Park. Just as revolting and anti-social as dog dirt I think.

Dave

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
Miss concerned, you may go back to pick up your fragrant plastic bag, but sadly some people don't. I usually wait a day or two before I reluctantly pick up someone else's little bag and take it home :-(

And although some plastic bags are biodegradable, they take years to decay, whereas dog poo disappears in a few weeks, or less, depending on the weather.

Miss Concerned

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »
When I went to collect my supply of 'poo bags' from the library last saturday I was told that the council are no longer supplying them. How many dog owners will be prepared or maybe  can even afford to buy their own bags. I hope that the council will still provide bins for the responsible owners to deposit their dogs'deposits' in. I also wonder whether open spaces like the Memorial Park and Brabyns will be adversly affected. Not a pleasant thought.

Another point to make regarding bags left at the side of paths - I do a return route with my dog and often leave the bag to collect on the way back rather than carry it around the full walk with me. It could be that some of these bags that have been seen are just waiting to be collected on the way back. In any event, the bags are biodegradeable and at least contain the offensive deposit rather than irresponsible individuals allowing their dogs to foul our lovely woodland walks.

bluebelly

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 08:16:58 AM »
could not agree more.this could be the start of the big society

Neil Smith

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
Etherow Park. Walk up the woods and it is full of bags left by " responsible " dog owners

People littering anywhere.

Solution :- 6 Months ( Saturdays and Sundays) community service clearing litter and dog poo

Outcome :- Cleaner streets and woodland, more "Responsible" dog owners and litter louts.

;D

myloweb

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:03 PM »
Etherow Park. Walk up the woods and it is full of bags left by " responsible " dog owners

People littering anywhere.

Solution :- 6 Months ( Saturdays and Sundays) community service clearing litter and dog poo

Outcome :- Cleaner streets and woodland, more "Responsible" dog owners and litter louts.