A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Norfolk Arms  (Read 82067 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Norfolk Arms
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
If they had done this as you suggested Wheels the police would have thrown the book at them! Its because it was an honest mistake and they did exactly what the police have asked them to do that they havent been charged and the place closed down permanently!

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #187 on: July 04, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
nope..  it was shut the next morning!  Why do you think it carried on trading? 

There was a bit of trouble there one night.. they asked them to leave.... little ****s smashed the family cars.. the landlord called police.. as part of the whole legal process the license was routinely checked.. there was found to be ONE issue with it... police made them  .. sorry I should change the language there as it might be construed as they put up a fight...  they were asked  to close ..they cleared the nice customers out and closed early.. they didn't open the next day instead they applied for the correct license... they haven't opened since apart from sticking their heads out of door and explaining whats gone on

so.what did they do wrong??

wheels

« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
I don't think anyone has ever suggested they KNOWINGLY got the wrong license?  If you are suggesting this could you explain why please?

I understand that they accidentally got the wrong license, that they did HAVE a license but misunderstood the requirements of it.  They are a young couple starting off in a business and I think they're really very brave taking that particular place on.

They discovered the license was wrong when THEY called the police after a disturbance from some idiots who were asked to leave.

I think I've made as much as I can clear.. it was NOT on purpose.

No but they continued trading after they knew they had the wrong licence and thats wrong end of.

gazwhite

« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »
Go Lisa, Go Lisa...

Totally agree - lovely bunch of people... ...the yellow VW Beetle with 'Yummy Mummy' on the side indicates he has as much passion for cars as I have for knitting, but these guys know how to make a lovely drinking venue!

Fingers crossed it re-opens soon and we don't end up with another small independent suffering.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »
and in addition.... as far as i know.. every other pub in marple is owned by a big company.  the landlords make their living but they are fully supported by the breweries that OWN the pubs.  None of them wanted to touch the Norfolk!!  This couple are saving a lovely building, creating a much needed free house, and hopefully a restaurant very soon, all out of their own pocket with no big corporate support behind them..  So yes.. lets give them a little slack

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
I don't think anyone has ever suggested they KNOWINGLY got the wrong license?  If you are suggesting this could you explain why please?

I understand that they accidentally got the wrong license, that they did HAVE a license but misunderstood the requirements of it.  They are a young couple starting off in a business and I think they're really very brave taking that particular place on.

They discovered the license was wrong when THEY called the police after a disturbance from some idiots who were asked to leave.

I think I've made as much as I can clear.. it was NOT on purpose.

wheels

« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
If as I understand it he was continuing to trade knowingly without a licence. No I don't feel for him, I feel for all the other publicans who have done things correctly and who have lost customer to someone who felt they were above the law.

Duke Fame

« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »
Do you known that to be true? I thought it was more complex than not having a licence at all.

You don't think it axshame on a personal level for those who have set it up & the staff they have employed?

wheels

« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
I think its dreadful.  Feel so sorry for them :( They have worked so hard to get it looking good and it might not be everyones cup of tea but at least they have put their money where their mouths are and done something with it!!  Better than it being turned into a shop! or something worse!

Don't understand why anyone could wish them bad luck, especially on a community board!

Absolutely, the UK economy needs enterprising people who provide employment and wealth. This isn't going to be provided by council clerk who's ambition is limited to having a wet dream over finding an licencing anomaly.

Seriously Wheels, you can't mean that.
Yes I do this guy was operating without a licence. Why is he to be cut the slack and others arn't.

I don't see it as good business practice to knowingly  ignore the law.

I put the question back to you you can't seriously support this behaviour.

Duke Fame

« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
I understood there was some problem with drinking there, and that in the attempt to throw out the unsavoury character, two cars were damaged when barrels were thrown into the windscreens.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come..... I'm looking forward to trying somewhere else to eat ...

In which case, it's the unsavory character that needs dealing with, not the pub.

Osdog

« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
I understood there was some problem with drinking there, and that in the attempt to throw out the unsavoury character, two cars were damaged when barrels were thrown into the windscreens.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come..... I'm looking forward to trying somewhere else to eat ...

Mike W

« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
Fully agree with Lisa and Duke.  For what it's worth, I thought the revamped Norfolk Arms was terrific - excellent beer, good food and a very pleasant atmosphere.  And a welcome change from the dominance of Robinson's pubs around Marple.  i sincerely hope the owners come through these short-term difficulties and make a real success of the place. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #176 on: July 03, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
I think its dreadful.  Feel so sorry for them :( They have worked so hard to get it looking good and it might not be everyones cup of tea but at least they have put their money where their mouths are and done something with it!!  Better than it being turned into a shop! or something worse!

Dont understand why anyone could wish them bad luck, especially on a community board!

Absolutely, the UK economy needs enterprising people who provide employment and wealth. This isn't going to be provided by council clerk who's ambition is limited to having a wet dream over finding an licencing anomaly.

Seriously Wheels, you can't mean that.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
I think its dreadful.  Feel so sorry for them :( They have worked so hard to get it looking good and it might not be everyones cup of tea but at least they have put their money where their mouths are and done something with it!!  Better than it being turned into a shop! or something worse!

Dont understand why anyone could wish them bad luck, especially on a community board!

Duke Fame

« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »
Good

Not good surely, it's someone's livelyhood