Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Norfolk Arms  (Read 81993 times)

amazon

Re: Norfolk Arms
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »
Notice in the latest political leaflet says that the metal shutters have to be removed by March 1st - so lets see what happens.
Hmm. They were still in situe this morning
         You Dont Believe political leaflets do you .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »
Sadly with the Smoking ban and a move to recreational drugs for teenagers / trendy young things, pubs are finding it hard to survive.

I don't think all the pub closures can be blamed to the smoking ban. If you look around the pubs that are still open are the ones that the landlords get of there backsides and do extra things eg live bands, food etc, the ones that have closed are the lazy ones thinking in this day and age people will come to them in flocks.
After the smoking ban there were too many pubs for too few people prepared to go out. I  didn’t mention cheap off-sales in the supermarkets which also has an impact.

Although I'm fairly new to Marple, I understood the Norfolk arms tended to be the pub for th e teenagers / lads in their 20's with a smattering of divorcees trying their arm on girls who are half their age.

For this market, the pub trade has a diminishing market. As I say, tablets and cocaine are now the drug of choice over alcohol and a pub isn’t going to make a fortune selling bottles of water.

I agree with some of this . The "traditional" local pub has the market anymore. People can buy booze in any corner shop, it's cheaper in supermarkets and your own sitting room is comfier than most pubs. Added to this the panic rush of so many pubs to attract and cater for yoof has alienated the traditional customer and is a very short sighted policy since there isn't a great customer loyalty ethic among that demograph. The Spring Gardens seems to have suffered a similar fate.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
Notice in the latest political leaflet says that the metal shutters have to be removed by March 1st - so lets see what happens.
Hmm. They were still in situe this morning

Osdog

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »
And the shutters are still up !  LOL

Duke Fame

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
Hey Duke I think that you will be surprised to know that Marple in the 70s had a huge drug problem far greater than today.  Poor little rich kids all had cellar / barn parties which attracted kids from all over Manchester.  You could get as much drink and drugs as you wanted all free of charge  :o

That's great but it's not going to reverse the demise of the pub trade.

I noted a post from 'Jet' saying their is a petition to remove duty from pub beer. I think that is a great idea, draught beer could be tax-free which would help pubs.

There is a dominatrix pub near the Moggies nr Bredbury which is an interesting take on it all.

Miss Marple

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
Hey Duke I think that you will be surprised to know that Marple in the 70s had a huge drug problem far greater than today.  Poor little rich kids all had cellar / barn parties which attracted kids from all over Manchester.  You could get as much drink and drugs as you wanted all free of charge  :o

Duke Fame

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »
Sadly with the Smoking ban and a move to recreational drugs for teenagers / trendy young things, pubs are finding it hard to survive.

I don't think all the pub closures can be blamed to the smoking ban. If you look around the pubs that are still open are the ones that the landlords get of there backsides and do extra things eg live bands, food etc, the ones that have closed are the lazy ones thinking in this day and age people will come to them in flocks.

After the smoking ban there were too many pubs for too few people prepared to go out. I  didn’t mention cheap off-sales in the supermarkets which also has an impact.

Although I'm fairly new to Marple, I understood the Norfolk arms tended to be the pub for th e teenagers / lads in their 20's with a smattering of divorcees trying their arm on girls who are half their age.

For this market, the pub trade has a diminishing market. As I say, tablets and cocaine are now the drug of choice over alcohol and a pub isn’t going to make a fortune selling bottles of water.

Neil Smith

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »

Rachael

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »
  I think its the cost of a night out in the pub,  when a glass of wine is £3.50 :( .... when supermarkets are so cheap these days for a bottle of  wine , pubs cannot compete unless they have a really good pub .

Also I think with unemployment at a high,  the cost of living going up, but wages staying the same people cannot justify the expense of a night out at the pub  .

As for youngsters  from my own experience ,  they live a life consumed by technology ( x box, facebook, I phones  ... )   which I feel stops them going out to the pubs, along with the expense , not many youngsters have jobs these days like they used to in my "YOOF".

I was talking to  a taxi driver, and he said the smoking ban has had a big impact on his buisness,  more people are staying at home, and also more people are unemployed so cant afford the luxury of taxis .

Duke Fame

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 10:17:41 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
Now Marple Bridge Stores is no more, we badly need a convenience store.  Tesco Metro, anyone?   ;D

Raja Bros?

moorendman

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Latest News - as of yesterday, the Freehold of the Norfolk is up for sale, through a national property company. They are inviting offers of around £350,000 for the freehold. It is no longer on the Punch website.

Osdog

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 10:04:52 AM »

Thanks for that which political leaflet .....

I think it was the Conservative one !  Can't really remember, I just remember reading it.... sorry

amazon

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
Have a feeling that this wont happen for a while its a full board up mess doors windows etc

Barbara

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »
Yeah - and how many of us will use the new name?  Old habits and all that!   :D