Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Norfolk Arms  (Read 82207 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Norfolk Arms
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
ditto duke.. well said Mike

Its not that I am arguing that theres not been a breach, however the language used in some posts in the past definitely and a couple of more recent ones imply purposeful wrong doing and this is simply NOT the case! Many don't post but a LOT of people read this and if we imply our opinion is fact then it can have a wider impact, especially on the  businesses discussed, and I think sometimes we should all think harder about how we write things.

Remember NO ONE was interested in the norfolk arms as a pub or otherwise...not even Tesco!! It was a total wreck and they have had to spend an awful lot more of their personal savings than expected to get it right.

right now I'm wondering if they would have preferred it knocked down, I presume from comments that a few on here would have preferred that option!!  Eventually that would have happened as it would have become dangerous.. and a few flats built! 

Lets support a couple who have put their livelihood on the line to try and make something of it, they are NOT managers or landlords (as in the past!) who can walk away or don't have any consideration or loyalty to the area they are local people who are our neighbours who have invested a massive amount of money time sweat and no doubt tears recently!!  Lets be appreciative of their efforts to save a bit of our history!

bluebelly

« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
its been a pub a lot longer  than any conservation area. what constitutes a conservation area anyway. did people use to moan this much before the age of the internet...says me moaning.

Duke Fame

« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
Would you be so understanding if say an Indian takeaway broke its licencing regulations.

Why not?

Henry_

« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
Open again now

Duke Fame

« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2012, 08:03:18 AM »
I'm bemused by this apparent negativity towards the refurbished Norfolk Arms. I thought it was an excellent addition to the area (as is Dutsons). I've no idea about the circumstances behind the licensing problems but I can imagine that enforced closure must be a nightmare in the current economy. I sincerely hope they manage to reopen and make a success of it. They'll have my custom.

Well said.

I wonder how pleased some posters would be if we rejoice at their livelihood disappearing.

I can't wait for the pub to reopen and I hope the nimbys cut it some slack

wheels

« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »
Would you be so understanding if say an Indian takeaway broke its licencing regulations.

Duke Fame

« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »
I'm bemused by this apparent negativity towards the refurbished Norfolk Arms. I thought it was an excellent addition to the area (as is Dutsons). I've no idea about the circumstances behind the licensing problems but I can imagine that enforced closure must be a nightmare in the current economy. I sincerely hope they manage to reopen and make a success of it. They'll have my custom.

Well said.

I wonder how pleased some posters would be if we rejoice at their livelihood disappearing.

I can't wait for the pub to reopen and I hope the nimbys cut it some slack

Mike W

« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
Agreed a breach is a breach (ignorance is not a defence.).
Notwithstanding that I wish them success in what is a very tough market place .
Being a local resident here though and having first hand experiences of the previous clientele of these premises, I am not alone in having reservations about this establishment opening up again. I hope for everyones sake the 'new' landlords take their responsibilities VERY SERIOUSLY as problems with any noise affecting the loss of amenity of nearby residents will ( and I emphasise 'will') lead to a licence review and every effort will be made to have the late night opening hours withdrawn (for starters). In addition other public nuisance issues (in addition to noise) such as food odours will be similarly dealt with leading to expensive enforcement action.
I just hope we do not have to resort to this, and that the new landlords give us no excuse whatsoever to bring the weight of the law to bear upon them !!.
If they need assistance with certain compliance issues particularly on the environmental side, I am happy to assist where I can.
As a starter they may wish to look at the maple tree's system as this was designed to meet the minimum standard. This works providing regular maintenance is carried out, which is essential. The secret is to get the design carried out by a competent person / contractor from the outset. At least one can then apportion blame if the system fails to meet the standard. I believe the maple tree had approx 3 attempts before they were more or less forced to bring in a consultant - they went down a very expensive route with the initial intention of trying to do this on the cheap - NOT RECOMMENDED.

Why have you typed 'new' landlords rather than new landlords??

From your post, I do get the imprssion the amenity of nearby residents can not be taken for granted even if there is not an issue. There can't be many nearby residents whom have been in residence before teh Nofolkn Arms was a pubso surely, when they moved in, they knew there would be a few pubs nearby.

Marple Bridge could really be a goldmine as a party strip, I wish them all the luck.

law man

« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
Agreed a breach is a breach (ignorance is not a defence.).
Notwithstanding that I wish them success in what is a very tough market place .
Being a local resident here though and having first hand experiences of the previous clientele of these premises, I am not alone in having reservations about this establishment opening up again. I hope for everyones sake the 'new' landlords take their responsibilities VERY SERIOUSLY as problems with any noise affecting the loss of amenity of nearby residents will ( and I emphasise 'will') lead to a licence review and every effort will be made to have the late night opening hours withdrawn (for starters). In addition other public nuisance issues (in addition to noise) such as food odours will be similarly dealt with leading to expensive enforcement action.
I just hope we do not have to resort to this, and that the new landlords give us no excuse whatsoever to bring the weight of the law to bear upon them !!.
If they need assistance with certain compliance issues particularly on the environmental side, I am happy to assist where I can.
As a starter they may wish to look at the maple tree's system as this was designed to meet the minimum standard. This works providing regular maintenance is carried out, which is essential. The secret is to get the design carried out by a competent person / contractor from the outset. At least one can then apportion blame if the system fails to meet the standard. I believe the maple tree had approx 3 attempts before they were more or less forced to bring in a consultant - they went down a very expensive route with the initial intention of trying to do this on the cheap - NOT RECOMMENDED.

wheels

« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »
Lisa that fact that it was a misunderstanding is neither here nor there it was in fact still a breach. There are often understandable reasons for a breach but it is still a breach.

We are not being hostile to them here just factual

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »
I didn't think the kitchen and restaurant was up and running yet?  though I suppose they were doing bar food...

As I understand it they did NOT breach licensing conditions... there was a misunderstanding between the last licensee and new one and the license that they had didnt have the right info on it .. more of a red tape issue rather than a breach.

I think the work done so far has been very respectful of the local conservation area and I expect, as residents, they will continue to be so.

law man

« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
I hear it that not only did they breach their licensing conditions, that they are also breaching their planning conditions as regards food production ?. They are apparently obliged to provide to the LA a design of the kitchen extract system along with drawings / design spec and maintenance schedule to eliminate the food smells coming from the kitchen. Given the maple tree system they have quite an ordeal ahead of them as the MT system has set the precedent for the village and was installed as a result of enforcement action.
They have to do this asap as the current system is totally inadequate and will lead to legal action. Something I suspect they may wish to avoid given their recent history !!!!.
The surrounding residential properties will have no hesitation whatsoever in reporting the breach as they had a bellyfull with the MT premises a few years ago - and who can blame them - it is after all a CONSERVATION AREA and everybody needs to respect that be it business or resident.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »
Yes i do live in Seven stiles,  however I spend a good part of every day in Marple Bridge.  My kids went to the local pre school in MB and one of my 4 still goes to the local primary school there and so I have been around and about Marple Bridge for over 10 years,as well as being a long term resident of Marple.    I walk my dog in Brabyns park twice Every day of the week and I also use the cafes and pubs and restaurants on a far too regular basis.  As a result of my regular prolonged use of the local facilities I have got to know quite a lot of the Marple Bridge residents and know a fair few of the Marple Bridge Association too!

I would like to point out however I DONT know the landlord and landlady of the Norfolk personally, though I do recognise both of them.

It might be that I am wrong, though certainly not far off, its clear we are both going on "What we've heard" however accusing local business owners of wrong doing, and legal wrong doing at that, on a community board or anywhere for that matter, with out any evidence, is very wrong.

wheels

« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
Lisa, well I accept what you say in good faith. Its certainly not the briefing I had so we appraoch the matter with different information thus a different attitude.

If as you say you live on Seven Stiles the Norfolk Arms is a good way from you how come your so well informed. As I say I take what you say in good faith