Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Stockport's declining population  (Read 5538 times)

Dave

Re: Stockport's declining population
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
No, the birth rate in Stockport is increasing, apparently, which is why the council is having to plan for more primary school places over the next few years. I think wheels may be on to something on property prices driving young families away though - so maybe we won't need so many school places after all!

chicken lady

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:57 AM »
I understood (although I may be wrong!) that the birthrate is declining but the population is increasing partly due to the increase in transient population, ie asylum seekers and immigration.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
There has been a decline in population in the 24-35 age group largely it appears as that group of house buyers have trouble affording Stockport as first time buyers. While many of us sit a pile of dosh our children have to go to Tameside for a first house.

gazwhite

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »
Just random people I've spoken to at Stockport Council - chit chat - Stockport is meant to have some kind of housing issue with its "expanding population"... could have meant many things thinking about it - social housing etc...

gazwhite

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
HP, Heinz, Daddys.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
Which other sources?

gazwhite

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
I understand, from other sources that Stockport population is increasing?  Not sure why its not reflected in the cencus. Interesting.

wheels

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:21:18 PM »
In Manchester's case I understand its as a result of an improved censuring process for what is in many parts of the authority a transient population.

It is unlikely their population has increased by 20% just better recording

Dave

Stockport's declining population
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »
The 2011 census figures for England and Wales have just been published.  They show an overall population growth of 7% over the ten years since the last census.  The tables in this MEN report show the areas of the country where the population has increased the most, and also those where it has actually shrunk.   http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1583553_census-2011-manchesters-population-rose-by-nearly-20-per-cent-in-last-10-years

Manchester's population has increased by a remarkable 20% in that time, and all of the other Greater Manchester local authority areas have also grown, except one - ours: the population of Stockport has actually shrunk by 0.5%.   Why?    ???  Are people leaving? Or dying? Or are we all just too lazy to get between the sheets and do our bit for England.......   ;)