A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Norfolk Arms  (Read 81994 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Norfolk Arms
« Reply #218 on: August 07, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
If you took the three pubs and the two wine - bars out of Marple Bridge, what would you actually have?  There aren't many streets 300 metres long with 5 bars contained. In a way it already is a strip albeit a Conservation Strip. 

Dutsons, Norfolk Arms & Libby's have all in the last 12 months had to apply for alcohol licences but nobody objected at least not enough to make an impact. Nobody is that interested anymore . Marple Bridge is just not the sleepy village that it once was 30/40 years ago. You just can't have 5 bars in a place that size and not accept the accompanying carousing that goes with it at the week-end.   

bluebelly

« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »
types off people...

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »
No not snobbery.  I totally understand.  The Norfolk has for many years been associated with very young drinkers and both the land lord/ladies and the customers have shown little consideration for the local residents.

From what i can see the new owners are trying to change that and attract completely different clientele and a different feel and ethos and it still comes back to.. owners and therefore neighbours.. or temporary land lords..

I understand the concern but I think the new owners should not be tarred with the same brush.  The existing pubs restaurants are very popular, always have been and have a regular large weekend trade that do not cause trouble ( much!) and are, I presume generally a little more respectful of the local residents.  I expect the new Norfolk will just increase the numbers of those types of people

bluebelly

« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2012, 07:31:26 AM »
good point duke . maybe a bit of snobery ?

Duke Fame

« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
Comments from members suggesting MB would make a good party strip are not appropriate. Marple Bridge is a conservation area and should be respected as such. If this term is not understood suggest seeking advice from the many websites available.
Clearly a party strip is not what is wanted here and if thats what people want perhaps a relocation to blackpool is on the cards and leave the conservation areas to those that want to enjoy them ?.
I believe the norfolk will get support if they respect the environment around them. That means controlling the noise that has always been a problem in the past and installing a compliant extract system that does not cause a statutory nuisance or loss of amenity to properties nearby .
There is nothing more asked of them. We wish them luck in this tough economic climate.

The point is that the Norfolkn arms has been there as a pub, long before 99% of residents and before it was a conservation area. What is conservation if it means pushing out the past?

Why didnt residents object to the two new drinking outlets that opened whilst the pub was shut?

law man

« Reply #213 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:14 PM »
Comments from members suggesting MB would make a good party strip are not appropriate. Marple Bridge is a conservation area and should be respected as such. If this term is not understood suggest seeking advice from the many websites available.
Clearly a party strip is not what is wanted here and if thats what people want perhaps a relocation to blackpool is on the cards and leave the conservation areas to those that want to enjoy them ?.
I believe the norfolk will get support if they respect the environment around them. That means controlling the noise that has always been a problem in the past and installing a compliant extract system that does not cause a statutory nuisance or loss of amenity to properties nearby .
There is nothing more asked of them. We wish them luck in this tough economic climate.

wheels

« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
well Wheels, actually you have....
post #181 - you acuse them of trading whilst knowingly having the wrong license but open with "As I understand it"... not giving them much benefot of doubt though!

but by post #185 this appears to be stated as fact....."end of".

You later resind your statement in post #188 and accept that someone else might have differing information to that of your own.

you seem all to keen on fact Wheels, you need to make sure you have yours straight before or making accusations or begin your statements  with an "In my Opinion". You seem very adept at changing the subject when your fact begins to move towards fiction and all too keen to avoid answering any questions. Have you ever considered local government as a career?

Myblood pressure is fine btw, had my recent middle-aged checkup the other day, but very nice of you to show concern for my wellbeing.... thank you.

Clearly we have a different understand of what is a negative comment, so please your keeping well.

jimblob

« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
well Wheels, actually you have....
post #181 - you acuse them of trading whilst knowingly having the wrong license but open with "As I understand it"... not giving them much benefot of doubt though!

but by post #185 this appears to be stated as fact....."end of".

You later resind your statement in post #188 and accept that someone else might have differing information to that of your own.

you seem all to keen on fact Wheels, you need to make sure you have yours straight before or making accusations or begin your statements  with an "In my Opinion". You seem very adept at changing the subject when your fact begins to move towards fiction and all too keen to avoid answering any questions. Have you ever considered local government as a career?

Myblood pressure is fine btw, had my recent middle-aged checkup the other day, but very nice of you to show concern for my wellbeing.... thank you.

wheels

« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »
Hi Wheels,
Given your negativity towards the Norfolk Arms.... I suggest you drink at the Railway in Rose Hill, then you can admire the useless stretch of widened pavement you're so enamoured with that cost the Council Tax payers of Marple so much money.

Incidentally, if you're such a stickler for adhering to the letter of the law and everything being "above board", why aren't you concerned that the submitted plans for the scheme delivered incorrect information to the Marple Area Committee? (see attachment)

I have never expressed any negativity towards the Norfolk Arms I think you mislead if oyu suggest otherwise. You really do need to watch your blood pressure though

jimblob

« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
Hi Wheels,
Given your negativity towards the Norfolk Arms.... I suggest you drink at the Railway in Rose Hill, then you can admire the useless stretch of widened pavement you're so enamoured with that cost the Council Tax payers of Marple so much money.

Incidentally, if you're such a stickler for adhering to the letter of the law and everything being "above board", why aren't you concerned that the submitted plans for the scheme delivered incorrect information to the Marple Area Committee? (see attachment)

[attachment deleted by admin]

wheels

« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
And there has not been any so I not sure what your orignal point was.

hollins

« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
Good job no one has given them "brickbacks" then  just statements of fact

"Brickbats", not "brickbacks", Wheels - it means "unfavourable criticism".

wheels

« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2012, 10:08:10 AM »
Good job no one has given them "brickbacks" then  just statements of fact

hollins

« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »
Interesting article on the Norfolk Arms at
http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/edrms/onlinemvm/getimage.asp?DocumentNumber=173891

I think anyone who has put so much time, money and effort into creating a business and looking after a heritage building deserves your support, not brickbats.

Good luck to the new owners.

Barbara

« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Hear, hear Lisa!!