Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Stockport bidding for City status  (Read 11101 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Stockport bidding for City status
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »
Who are 'they', Miss M?
The powers that be  :-\

Harry

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
Is Marple officially a town? Most people refer to Marple as a village, though with a population of about 23,000 it would be a large village. The entry in Wikipedia repeatedly uses the term village.

Is there an official classification, as there is for a city?

Dave

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Who are 'they', Miss M?

Miss Marple

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »
I remember when they changed Marple from a village to a Town and thats not all that long ago !

alison

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
Oi! I'm not a scally! I live in Stockport, mainly because when I bought a house Marple had priced itself out of the first time buyers market!

But I agree, its not really a city. Oh and Manchester, yep full of life, but some of it you wouldn't want to meet late at night!

Alison

Dave

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »
Mr Marple, I go to Stockport and Manchester all the time, and I am as aware of the difference as you are!

I was simply pointing out the self-evident fact that having a scally population is no bar to being a city. I think that if Stockport's application fails, it will be for other reasons.

Tricky

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »
meh

moorendman

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
looking at your logo, Tricky, I thought that Stockport already qualified for "City" status.  :)

Tricky

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »
Dave, how often do you go to Stockport? How often do you go to Manchester or any of your stated cities?

Have you compared them thoroughly, have you driven through Stockport and Manchester? Have you stayed in either overnight?
Do you know what makes Manchester far better than Stockport.....................I know I do.

Stockport has very little in comparison to Manchester. Manchester is a buzz with life but the same can not be said for Stockport sadly.

SO.. Mr Marple are you saying that in order to qualify for city status you should have to be comparable/on a par with Manchester..  ?

Personally, I think good luck to Stockport's bid, I hope the attention kick-starts some (needed) improvements and investment.

(Bolton though? really??)

meh

Mr Marple

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »
Mr Marple, having scallies (aka chavs in the south and neds in Scotland) is no bar to being a city. If it was, London, Manchester and Glasgow wouldn't be cities!

Dave, how often do you go to Stockport? How often do you go to Manchester or any of your stated cities?

Have you compared them thoroughly, have you driven through Stockport and Manchester? Have you stayed in either overnight?
Do you know what makes Manchester far better than Stockport.....................I know I do.

Stockport has very little in comparison to Manchester. Manchester is a buzz with life but the same can not be said for Stockport sadly.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
Mr Marple, having scallies (aka chavs in the south and neds in Scotland) is no bar to being a city. If it was, London, Manchester and Glasgow wouldn't be cities!

Mr Marple

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:57:10 PM »
Cyberman, for the majority I agree.

I've heard countless people call Stockport "scally central" and I see why.

Bolton's got more chance that Stockport has when applying for City status.

Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
I notice that Stockport, alongside Bolton, are to bid for City status this year - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12414857

Personally this sounds like an expensive waste of money. I would rather live in a small town where rubbish is collected, libraries and public loos are available and flower beds are not turfed over than see money wasted on this status bid.

I note one of council leader Dave Goddards quoted advantage of Stockport is "Transport links". What planet is he on? Obviously hasnt spent half an hour queuing on the M60 when the Tesco roundabout screws up.

What do others think?

I think you should stand for a local councillor !  I for one would vote for you, what you say makes so much sense  :)

Tricky

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:48 AM »
(FROM WIKIPEDIA)

In the twentieth century, it was explicitly recognised that the status of city in England and Wales would no longer be bound to the presence of a cathedral, and grants made since have been awarded to communities on a variety of criteria, including population size.

..According to a Memorandum from the Home Office issued in 1927,

If a town wishes to obtain the title of a city the proper method of procedure is to address a petition to the King through the Home Office. It is the duty of the Home Secretary to submit such petitions to his Majesty and to advise his Majesty to the reply to be returned. It is a well-established principle that the grant of the title is only recommended in the case of towns of the first rank in population, size and importance, and having a distinctive character and identity of their own. At the present day, therefore, it is only rarely and in exceptional circumstances that the title is given.

In fact, a town can now apply for city status by submitting an application to the Lord Chancellor, who makes recommendations to the sovereign. Competitions for new grants of city status have been held to mark special events, such as coronations, royal jubilees or the Millennium.

meh

Harry

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »
I was always taught that areas of human habitation were defined as:

Hamlet - a group of houses
Village - as Hamlet but also with a church or public house
Town - as Village but also including a market
City - as Town but also with a cathedral