Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Road Works at Windsor Castle (and interesting historical stuff)  (Read 2304 times)

Deniseam

Re: Road Works at Windsor Castle (and interesting historical stuff)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
The area smelt a bit gassy last night when we walked home from the Windsor.  They can't have solved it properly.

amazon

Re: Road Works at Windsor Castle (and interesting historical stuff)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
All the traffic lights have been removed from Windsor castle lower fold .so it would appear that no further gas works is to take place . if Mr bispam would like to enlighten us on this matter ./

elpram

Road Works at Windsor Castle (and interesting historical stuff)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
Just reproducing here some info obtained by one of our local councillors concerning temp traffic lights last week at Compstall Road/Glossop Road Junction.  Haven't seen any sign of anything happening yet this week but not been further than Ludworth school in that direction, however last week the traffic was backing right up to Station Road at home time >:(

I was particularly interested to hear about the past skyline of Marple Bridge!

Here is an update on the lights on Rose Brow.

You may not be aware of this but Marple Bridge used to be the site of a large gas works on what is now Pear Tree Close. When I was at Ludworth School, the skyline was dominated by two large gasometers and a retort house which produced gas from coal from a mine at the bottom of Rose Brow. Consequently there are a large number of gas mains which start from Lower Fold and travel out to domestic customers. There are three significant large mains which run up Rose Brow to the Windsor castle, additionally there are the pipes associated with the supply to the properties locally.

Yesterday morning I went and spoke to the engineers on site. My Polish isn’t good, but this is what I have understood;

Over the last week the gas board have been trying to trace the source of leaking gas around the Windsor Castle. As I rightly guessed, this has been complicated by gas getting into the telecom ducting and giving false indications of leaks all over the area as it travels through the ducting unhindered.
They have lifted the covers on the telecom system to prevent dangerous build ups and cleared the gas but every time they put them back it reappears. They have identified at least two leak sites, one near the bottom of Rose Brow and one on the corner by the Windsor Castle. They switched off the traffic lights on Friday, only to have someone full of ale from the Windsor Castle switch them back on, late Friday night.

They intend to leave the lights off over the weekend and lay them on their backs to stop idiots interfering with them. They will not be working on Sunday, but for next week the news is not good. They intend to start serious excavations by the Windsor Castle on Monday to try and identify the source of the leak. I asked how long this would take but they couldn’t say other than;”probably a week”. I asked if they would need to close the road completely, but he could give no answer. Obviously, it depends what they find when they dig. I have left my business card with them and asked their manager to contact me on Monday.

I can only suggest you plan your journeys next week with this in mind.

Regards, Andrew Bispham