Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Safe Cycling (broken out from Dan Bank Widening)  (Read 2378 times)

Mike W

Re: Safe Cycling (broken out from Dan Bank Widening)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
In your earlier post, you implied that you ran the red light to maintain momentum, possibly at up to 30mph.  I can understand why you might want to do that, but I don't see how you square it or your fears about being 'wiped out' from the left (presumably by drivers legitimately coming through a green light, however rich or otherwise they might be) with your claim that you're 'crossing when it's safe to do so'.  I've no problem with you risking your own life, but I don't see why other road-users should face having your injury or death on their conscience just because you can't be bothered to obey the law. 

Duke Fame

Safe Cycling (broken out from Dan Bank Widening)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »

I’ll run a red light, crossing when it’s safe to do so, not much problem in that.

YES IT IS A PROBLEM IT IS ILLEGAL. Why not change your attitude whilst riding and then just may be the drivers will also.

It makes me so angry when I see people on bikes that think they are above the rules off the road then the same people then start moaning about vehicle drivers >:(

Yet making illegal manouvres in a car is less illegal??????

What difference does it make, if I jump off and walk over the junction, it's OK.

Neil Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:04:08 PM »

I’ll run a red light, crossing when it’s safe to do so, not much problem in that.

YES IT IS A PROBLEM IT IS ILLEGAL. Why not change your attitude whilst riding and then just may be the drivers will also.

It makes me so angry when I see people on bikes that think they are above the rules off the road then the same people then start moaning about vehicle drivers >:(

Duke Fame

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
I really wish attitudes towards cyclists in this country would change. We have just as much right to be on the road as other vehicles and I'd say the majority of us respect others on the roads and follow the laws, its usually car drivers who behave inappropriately towards cyclists. Stockport council are doing a good job providing better facilities for cyclists and hopefully this will create more and more people cycling.

Please see

I cycle when it’s not too cold. I have to say going down is pretty dangerous. The potholes last year really were dangerous as I’d nearly lost control whilst going full whack. The other problem, on a bike, you’ve got up to 30mph at the lights but that turn on the left can wipe you out. How rich do you have to be to have a traffic light at the end of your drive? On a  bike, you want to use that momentum and whilst I’m happy to run a red light, you have to watch for the left side.

As I’m hitting the traffic at around 7.3—7.45 on a bike, I’m beating the queues but why do car drivers try & block bikes? What is it to a car driver if a bike overtakes? There is a guy with a Porsche who has tried to block me on the inside and outside, not only that, he does that thing when approaching Dan bank by nipping down the residential ‘feeder’ road and barging in. Surfice to say, next time he blocks me, he’ll find my brakes are not too good and his paintwork may be damaged.

Upshot is, a cycle lane would be great but I have to say, cycle lanes are pretty short lived.

Nick, you may be a great considerate cyclist but whilst we have people like duke that have now admitted he runs red lights and will damage cars that get in his way, you and other law abiding cyclists will find it hard to have a safe cycle ride as a lot of vehicle drivers tar everyone with the same brush.

Neil you have it slightly wrong.

Yes I’ll run a red light, crossing when it’s safe to do so, not much problem in that.

It’s not an issue of the cyclist damaging cars. In the morning queues, as a driver, if I see a cyclist comes, I make room for him. Some people do not, some actively block the path of a cyclist by wither cutting the inside gap or if overtaking outside, I  have been pushed onto the on-coming lane (not just by the fella in the Porsche – but he sticks in the memory). If a car tries to cut up a bike, he’s doing so knowing he doesn’t get hurt if the cyclist can’t stop, in that case the driver of the car deserves to get his car scratched.

Neil Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:12 AM »
I really wish attitudes towards cyclists in this country would change. We have just as much right to be on the road as other vehicles and I'd say the majority of us respect others on the roads and follow the laws, its usually car drivers who behave inappropriately towards cyclists. Stockport council are doing a good job providing better facilities for cyclists and hopefully this will create more and more people cycling.

Please see

I cycle when it’s not too cold. I have to say going down is pretty dangerous. The potholes last year really were dangerous as I’d nearly lost control whilst going full whack. The other problem, on a bike, you’ve got up to 30mph at the lights but that turn on the left can wipe you out. How rich do you have to be to have a traffic light at the end of your drive? On a  bike, you want to use that momentum and whilst I’m happy to run a red light, you have to watch for the left side.

As I’m hitting the traffic at around 7.3—7.45 on a bike, I’m beating the queues but why do car drivers try & block bikes? What is it to a car driver if a bike overtakes? There is a guy with a Porsche who has tried to block me on the inside and outside, not only that, he does that thing when approaching Dan bank by nipping down the residential ‘feeder’ road and barging in. Surfice to say, next time he blocks me, he’ll find my brakes are not too good and his paintwork may be damaged.

Upshot is, a cycle lane would be great but I have to say, cycle lanes are pretty short lived.

Nick, you may be a great considerate cyclist but whilst we have people like duke that have now admitted he runs red lights and will damage cars that get in his way, you and other law abiding cyclists will find it hard to have a safe cycle ride as a lot of vehicle drivers tar everyone with the same brush.

Duke Fame

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
I find cycling down Dan Bank on the road easy. I have only ever pushed my bike up on the pavement. The new cycle track will be excellent for cyclists who are fit enough to cycle up it. I don't think pedestrians need worry about bikes coming towards them as I'd say the majority will continue to cycle down Dan Bank on the road and cyclists coming up Dan Bank will not be going very fast.

I cycle when it’s not too cold. I have to say going down is pretty dangerous. The potholes last year really were dangerous as I’d nearly lost control whilst going full whack. The other problem, on a bike, you’ve got up to 30mph at the lights but that turn on the left can wipe you out. How rich do you have to be to have a traffic light at the end of your drive? On a  bike, you want to use that momentum and whilst I’m happy to run a red light, you have to watch for the left side.