Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Closing of Marple's Public Toilets  (Read 44021 times)

chicky

Re: Closing of Marple's Public Toilets
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »
This is great news-well done!! 

Barbara

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »
Excellent!! :D

Miss Marple

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
Fantastic well done !

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
The missing appendices have now been made available as part of the consultation and the deadline has been extended to 22 February.

Appendix 5 shows Marple Memorial Park to be open from Monday to Sunday (subject to staffing) which is great.

Would it have shown this before so many Marple people made comments? I think we can certainly count it as a victory for the Community pulling together!

Thank you everyone for your help and support.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Friends of Marple Memorial Park have been waiting patiently for the Council's Draft Service Level Contract with Solutions SK (who will be looking after our local parks from April) to be published to find out what the council's long term plans are for the opening of the toilets in the park. The SLC has been published on-line this week but to our surprise and disappointment it is not clear what the council's intentions are.

Last year the toilets were listed for closure but they were saved after a very strong public campaign let by FOMMP and supported by many other community groups and hundreds of local people. 

Currently the toilets are being open 6 days per week but not on Sundays. Friends of Memorial Park think that Sunday opening is very important as the park is heavily used by families, children and the elderly over the weekend and on Sundays the alternative facilities are even less than on other days as the library is closed.

The council is now carrying out consultation on maintenance of their green spaces in preparation for the new regime commencing in April this year.

For reasons that have not yet been explained to us the Council have withheld a series of appendices from the consultation process. One of these – appendix 5 – is understood to specify the opening times of public toilets but because it has not been made available we do not know what the council’s intention on this matter is.

It could be that they are going to start opening them 7 days a week, as we have been constantly asking them. It could be that they plan to continue opening them 6 days a week but it may be that are intending to REDUCE the days that the toilets are open. If they had been transparent and published the appendix at least we would know the true situation and because it has been withheld we are naturally concerned and suspicious.

We have asked the Head of the new Public Realm Service to provide a copy of appendix 5 and explained our concerns about the lack of transparency in this consultation. We hope they will publish the toilet opening times before the consultation ends on 20 February.

So, how can you help?

Well, we need to get the message across once again how important the local community of Marple think this issue is and tell them that we want our park toilets open 7 day per week.

Please go to the on-line consultation at www.stockport.gov.uk/haveyoursay

Then click on the link to Greenspace Consultation.

Complete and submit the form to provide your feed back that:

“The toilets in Marple Memorial Park must be opened 7 days per week including Sundays please.”

Filling in your details is optional but it will have far more impact if you do provide your name and address, rather than submit anonymously.

Paste the message as above or put it into your own words with your own comments. Of course you can review the full draft contract if you wish and comment on this too!

Please help us to get the message across that our park and the facilities within it are extremely important to the people of Marple.

Please encourage family and friends who live in Marple to respond too.

.  Responded .to smbc

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »
Friends of Marple Memorial Park have been waiting patiently for the Council's Draft Service Level Contract with Solutions SK (who will be looking after our local parks from April) to be published to find out what the council's long term plans are for the opening of the toilets in the park. The SLC has been published on-line this week but to our surprise and disappointment it is not clear what the council's intentions are.

Last year the toilets were listed for closure but they were saved after a very strong public campaign let by FOMMP and supported by many other community groups and hundreds of local people. 

Currently the toilets are being open 6 days per week but not on Sundays. Friends of Memorial Park think that Sunday opening is very important as the park is heavily used by families, children and the elderly over the weekend and on Sundays the alternative facilities are even less than on other days as the library is closed.

The council is now carrying out consultation on maintenance of their green spaces in preparation for the new regime commencing in April this year.

For reasons that have not yet been explained to us the Council have withheld a series of appendices from the consultation process. One of these – appendix 5 – is understood to specify the opening times of public toilets but because it has not been made available we do not know what the council’s intention on this matter is.

It could be that they are going to start opening them 7 days a week, as we have been constantly asking them. It could be that they plan to continue opening them 6 days a week but it may be that are intending to REDUCE the days that the toilets are open. If they had been transparent and published the appendix at least we would know the true situation and because it has been withheld we are naturally concerned and suspicious.

We have asked the Head of the new Public Realm Service to provide a copy of appendix 5 and explained our concerns about the lack of transparency in this consultation. We hope they will publish the toilet opening times before the consultation ends on 20 February.

So, how can you help?

Well, we need to get the message across once again how important the local community of Marple think this issue is and tell them that we want our park toilets open 7 day per week.

Please go to the on-line consultation at www.stockport.gov.uk/haveyoursay

Then click on the link to Greenspace Consultation.

Complete and submit the form to provide your feed back that:

“The toilets in Marple Memorial Park must be opened 7 days per week including Sundays please.”

Filling in your details is optional but it will have far more impact if you do provide your name and address, rather than submit anonymously.

Paste the message as above or put it into your own words with your own comments. Of course you can review the full draft contract if you wish and comment on this too!

Please help us to get the message across that our park and the facilities within it are extremely important to the people of Marple.

Please encourage family and friends who live in Marple to respond too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

bat man

« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
The public toilets in the memorial park are not closing,maintenance work has just been carried out.... :o

Duke Fame

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
Removed. Admin

alan@marple

« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
What is it that you don't understand?

amazon

« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »
But Amazon, does it really matter, I am still an oap, would you leave me in distressed circumstances?
            No. But Dont understand your posting

alan@marple

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »
But Amazon, does it really matter, I am still an oap, would you leave me in distressed circumstances?

amazon

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
Being a frequent visitor to Marple I would like to know, if the senior citizens hall will allow visiting OAP'S like myself to use the toilet facilities.

I recently saw the notice on the door saying "not a public toilet " or words to that effect, it seems a bit uncharitable to me!
          How would they know you were a visitor .unless you told them .

alan@marple

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
Being a frequent visitor to Marple I would like to know, if the senior citizens hall will allow visiting OAP'S like myself to use the toilet facilities.

I recently saw the notice on the door saying "not a public toilet " or words to that effect, it seems a bit uncharitable to me!

Dave

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
That's a relief :-)

In current financial circumstances it's entirely understandable that local aurthorities will see closing public loos as a way of saving money. I think replacing them with free access to loos in cafes, shops, pubs etc could work, but only if they are open reasonably long hours, are clearly signposted, and are available to everyone, including people with babies and children.

marveld

« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2011, 03:37:22 PM »
I am pleased to report the gents' toilets near Derby Way have re-opened. (The disabled loo is still closed due to the drainage problem).