To advertise on this site

Author Topic: The Devvy  (Read 32210 times)

corium

Re: The Devvy
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »
Was in there last night and after a slow start was really busy late on which is good news. I understand the planned refurbishment has hit some problems and is not likely to happen for some time; there is a problem with one of the walls that was going to be removed/ remodeled and the chimneys above.

Dave

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:02 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect the pub will still be tied to Robbies.   

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »
Dropped in at the Devvy this weekend, and found out more about the latest set-up there.

The new couple now in charge are called Sarah and Adam.  They work for a pub management company called Inglenook Inns.  See http://www.inglenookinns.co.uk/.

After what has happened round here to pubs taken over by big chains, this may not at first sight appear to be good news - but bear with me.  For a start, this is not a big chain - they run just 18 pubs, mostly around the north-west.  And Robinson's have not sold the pub to this company: they have, apparently, entered into some kind of partnership with them, whereby the brewery still owns it but Inglenook run it.  Most important of all, there will be a major refurbishment and extension scheme taking place some time in the next few months, which will mean the pub will at some stage be closed for about 10 - 12 weeks. 

Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens, but after a few years during which the Devvy seems to have been struggling, this development does at least raise the possibility of a better future.

That's very interesting Dave. Are they still tied to Robbies brews or can they act more like a freehouse? The web site says they are teamed with Twaites in some way. Could do a lot worse than offer a nice drop of Wainwrights!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
Dropped in at the Devvy this weekend, and found out more about the latest set-up there.

The new couple now in charge are called Sarah and Adam.  They work for a pub management company called Inglenook Inns.  See http://www.inglenookinns.co.uk/.

After what has happened round here to pubs taken over by big chains, this may not at first sight appear to be good news - but bear with me.  For a start, this is not a big chain - they run just 18 pubs, mostly around the north-west.  And Robinson's have not sold the pub to this company: they have, apparently, entered into some kind of partnership with them, whereby the brewery still owns it but Inglenook run it.  Most important of all, there will be a major refurbishment and extension scheme taking place some time in the next few months, which will mean the pub will at some stage be closed for about 10 - 12 weeks. 

Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens, but after a few years during which the Devvy seems to have been struggling, this development does at least raise the possibility of a better future. 

Dave

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »
Yes, I haven't been in much recently but there's a blackboard outside giving the names of the couple who are now running the pub.  Let's hope they manage to turn it round.

corium

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »
Just for interest, and I can't confirm whether it's 100% accurate but I've been told that the Devvy was let by Robbies to a pub management co & that the current tenants are employees of said company. Done because of zero interest prior to this. Will be interesting to seeing time whether it has to always serve Robbies as part of the agreement.

corium

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »
But remember when the Oak was let to the current tenants, the advert for the Oak said for 12 months only, though this may have changed. I agree though it's on the up though it has an odd set of peaks times - it can be packed on normally "slow" evenings and empty on a Saturday night if there is no sport on

Dave

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
Update: the Devvy continues to be eerily quiet.   :(

However, in the interests of research, of course, I have also been paying random visits to the Royal Oak in Mellor over the Christmas and New Year period and since, and I can happily confirm that this:
The Royal Oak is on its third management team in 3 yrs and expect another one of those pubs that you've mentioned to be looking for a new manager soon.

..... is not true.  The Oak can be quiet at times, but at others, especially weekends and/or match days, it has been what my son calls 'rammed'!  The management has indeed changed a few times recently, but touch wood I think the present couple are doing fine.   :)

simonesaffron

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 08:42:31 AM »
How right you are Melancholy, internet, Health clubs, Evening Classes in abundance, good supermarket wine, weren't around in the same proliferation twenty years ago.

My understanding Dave is that they are drinking more, they are just not doing it in the pubs. 

Dave

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
I doubt people are drinking any less - they are just doing it somewhere else! 

Melancholyflower

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 05:44:49 PM »
Perhaps they have other things to do rather than drink alcohol and dine out.
There's a lot of competition for everyone's time these days.

simonesaffron

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
You're quite right barndoor, where are the customers ?

As a visitor to pubs (rightly or wrongly) most of my life, I've noticed in the last ten years the customer dwindle effect. It is particularly noticeable when you revisit a pub that you haven't been in for a year or so. I experienced it last week.

Dave mentioned the Royal Oak. I was in conversation with a previous licensee of that pub recently and he is a decent hard working, intelligent person. He told me that it was "impossible" to make any money in the place. New licensees have recently taken over, I wish them good luck, maybe they will do things differently.

As barndoor says, that's the big question now for most pubs...."Where have all the customers gone ?"

barndoor

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 07:10:18 PM »
Such a shame to read of The Devvy's demise. Mrs barndoor and I completed a Robinson's 'mystery shopper' visit there and everything about it was excellent: the effusive greeting from the landlady (who, from reading the previous comments, I gather would have been Louise), the drinks, food, cleanliness (the toilets were pristine), its overall appearance. It was obvious the landlady had a real pride in the place. I was so impressed I sent Robinsons a separate congratulatory e-mail in addition to completing the scorecard.

One thing that was missing, though, were customers. At the time of our visit there was a total of six: us, an elderly couple at the bar, and a separate couple who came in as we were leaving. Our visit was late-afternoon on a Saturday during the summer; I would have expected a few more drinkers than four to six at that time of the day.

simonesaffron

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
Hello Dave,

Saddens me to even have to try and prove my point. The Royal Oak is on its third management team in 3 yrs and expect another one of those pubs that you've mentioned to be looking for a new manager soon. When you are charging £23.00 for a bottle of wine that you can get in any supermarket for £6.00!

Dave

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:24:18 PM »
The problem with most pubs now is that there quite simply is no business case for them.

Tell that to the people who run the Midland.  Or the Norfolk,  Or the Hare and Hounds (Mill Brow).  Or the Oddies and the Royal Oak up the hill in Mellor.  They all seem, in their various ways, to have lighted upon a reasonably successful business model.    Yes, there will, sadly, be more local pubs going to the wall.  But it's not inevitable.