Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: New Wall On Strines Road  (Read 3048 times)

Miss Marple

Re: New Wall On Strines Road
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »
Yes  !!  But where have the original stones gone they are worth a fortune  ???

Victor M

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »
Along that part of Strines Road the original wall was not that tall and missing in some places. Once the wall is completed it will age quite quickly, Marple moss grows anywhere! I do feel sorry for the local residents who have had to put up with one way lights for over 6 months, but at least it has cut down the through traffic from New Mills and beyond.

Miss Marple

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »
Can anyone shed any light on where the original stones from the wall have gone ?  I would have thought that the wall would be restored with the original materials as it was a restoration and stabilisation programme not new design  :o

Victor M

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »
The main cause of the road collapsing is due to the large volume of HGV's that have used the road as a cut through for the A6. If the weight restriction had been put on earlier it might have prolonged the life expectancy of the road.

Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »
I heard, but have not been able to verify it, that EU money paid for it.  Anyway, would you prefer that the road a) was closed, or b) fell down onto the houses?  It is a necessary protection against landslip.
   No i would prefer the house to fall on the wall !!!

tonyjones

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
Having passed these works several times over the last few months I noticed that a large amount of steelwork has been installed before they began to build the wall.
This would imply that the main object of the work is to stop the road collapsing, and when you consider that the road was originally constructed in 1801 as part of the turnpike 'from Stockport to Marple Bridge with a branch through New Mills to Thornsett' and intended for use by horse and carts, it has done very well for the last 200 years. The wall on top is just the finishing touches to a major project.

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
I heard, but have not been able to verify it, that EU money paid for it.  Anyway, would you prefer that the road a) was closed, or b) fell down onto the houses?  It is a necessary protection against landslip.

nbt

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:40 PM »
I htink it;'s a retaining wall to stop the road slipping down, so yes, paid for by the council
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Dave

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
Yes, I've seen it, although it's partly covered up at the moment, so I didn't get a very good view.   But I don't think 'we' (i.e. Stockport MBC) have paid for it - surely it's a private length of wall belonging to the house or houses on the other side of it? 

Miss Marple

New Wall On Strines Road
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »
Eat your heart out Seventeen Fences !!  I have found an even better eye sore on Strines Road once again passed by Stockport Planning Dept! Its the new wall, better known as Fort Knox !  Please do not comment until you have seen it and then, only then explain to me WHY !!!!!! :'(  BUT DO NOT TELL ME IF WE HAVE  ONCE AGAIN PAID FOR YET ANOTHER EYE SORE PLEASE !!!!!