Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Linked Events

• FoRHS Celebration: December 13, 2010

Author Topic: Friends of Rose Hill Station - Mulled wine and cake  (Read 6440 times)

Dave

Re: Friends of Rose Hill Station - Mulled wine and cake
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
Tricky, you've said it :-)

Duke Fame

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »
It's ironic that you mention Alton Towers..

- one of the the stops the cable car visits is the 'Cloud Cuckoo Land' station

Hey, I'm not Richard Leese this could be done and no need for back-handers.

Tricky

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
It's ironic that you mention Alton Towers..

- one of the the stops the cable car visits is the 'Cloud Cuckoo Land' station

meh

Duke Fame

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »
This is getting really wacky now! A cable car? From Marple to Stockport? At 'negligible cost'?? It's positively surreal!

If Alton towers can put one up for £100k, it's got to be a positive thing, that's the cost of one bus. As I say, the rail co can sell off all the land, it will raise a canny bit money from the whole of the land on the branch line.

Dave

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:11 AM »
This is getting really wacky now! A cable car? From Marple to Stockport? At 'negligible cost'?? It's positively surreal!

amazon

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »
Makes you wonder why the powers that be are about to start spending £?????s updating Marple Station and installing lifts when they have moved a third of the service.

Is The Bridge Being removed it was supposed to   be going to Peak rail [.not the road bridge .]

Duke Fame

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
But on message, yes a cable car like where eagles deare and at Alton towers to replace the expensive Rose hill station.

What expensive Rose Hill Station?

The costs associated with Rose Hill are bourne by the private company which tenders to run it, and makes a profit out of it.

As a customer I expect to see the station staffed, cleaned etc etc. My ticket gets me from Rose Hill to Manchester, why should I expect differing levels of service at either end of the line?

Andy

Subsidies have already mentioned but furthermore, Marple is already served by the normal station and Rose hill is just a branch off the same  Sheff  Manc line, If it was me owning (yes I know the operator doesn’t own the line & station) & operating a train service, I’d just like to run my trains to one station. The answer is to close Rose hill, sell off the land to developers, station buildings would make a nice little pad.

Then, improving the service, I’d have a cable car running to Stockport Station from Marple Station via Rose Hill & stops on the way. This would give everyone a better service plus a better link to Stockport station for mainline services.

It will also take traffic off Dan bank giving a greener solution all round. The cost would be negligible, no need to staff a station or keep it up to date and the sale of the land would cover the building costs.

You see, if I’d been in charge of that silly TIF thing that Richard Leese tried to foist on us with a congestion charge, I’d have come up with far cheaper, workable, effective & cost effective solutions.

Duke Fame

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
Makes you wonder why the powers that be are about to start spending £?????s updating Marple Station and installing lifts when they have moved a third of the service.

I suppose it's to do with accessability rights for those who have difficuly getting up the steps. A lift is possibly as cheap as installing a ramp

Barbara

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »

Dave

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »
Ah well, we shall just have to see how it all works out in the long run.  :)

Never mind the long run, Barbara - it's not working very well in the short run!  The trains from Piccadilly to Marple now run at at 03 and 45 minutes past the hour - a gap of nearly 3/4 of an hour!    ::)

Barbara

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
I had to chuckle at the report in last week's Stockport Times which said that due to the changes at Rose Hill, Marple now had four trains an hour.  We always did!  Ah well, we shall just have to see how it all works out in the long run.  :)

Neil Smith

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

The costs associated with Rose Hill are bourne by the private company which tenders to run it, and makes a profit out of it.

As a customer I expect to see the station staffed, cleaned etc etc. My ticket gets me from Rose Hill to Manchester, why should I expect differing levels of service at either end of the line?

Andy

Apart from the massive subsidies that these private companies get from the government which are OUR taxes.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
But on message, yes a cable car like where eagles deare and at Alton towers to replace the expensive Rose hill station.

Andy

Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
Cable Car?  ??? You mean like in 'Where Eagles Dare'!  With Clint Eastwood clinging to the roof??

Exactly, although I thought it was Richard Burton?

They were both in it, along with loads of other good actors - Patrick Wymark, Michael Hordern, and a gorgeous blonde whose name escapes me.  Great music too: Durrr Durrr Durrr Durrr, Dur Dur Dur Dur Dur Durrr Du-du-du, Dur Dur Dur Durrr Du-du-du.  (Getting a bit off-topic here  ;D)

First film I ever went to. My brother took me, I was only 4 or 5 but remember the Gorman's motorbike just makng it accross the mined bridge and bursting into flames.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:33:06 PM »
Cable Car?  ??? You mean like in 'Where Eagles Dare'!  With Clint Eastwood clinging to the roof??

Exactly, although I thought it was Richard Burton?

They were both in it, along with loads of other good actors - Patrick Wymark, Michael Hordern, and a gorgeous blonde whose name escapes me.  Great music too: Durrr Durrr Durrr Durrr, Dur Dur Dur Dur Dur Durrr Du-du-du, Dur Dur Dur Durrr Du-du-du.  (Getting a bit off-topic here  ;D)