Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Traffic calming on Chester Road  (Read 2117 times)

jimblob

Re: Traffic calming on Chester Road
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
I can cope with a sore bum, but the pinch points created by the centre islands and motorists insisting on still overtaking a cyclist at these points is just plain dangerous. It's only a matter of time before some poor cyclist is forced off the road. The bumps add to the fun of course whilst navigating the chicanery. Just nice to know Stockport's road planners have cyclist's best interests at heart rather than just thinking that talking about it will make any difference. http://www.cyclestockport.org.uk/

Belly

Re: Traffic calming on Chester Road
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »
Hi Dave, you obviously haven't tried to cycle through the new traffic calming on Chester Road?

I suspect that there are more cars using the route than cyclists and so if it creates a safer road for the majoruty of users (for example the local primary school children in the area) a couple of sore cyclists' bottoms from bumping over a couple of humps may have to be a price we have to pay.  ;D

jimblob

Traffic calming on Chester Road
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:51:04 AM »
Hi Dave, you obviously haven't tried to cycle through the new traffic calming on Chester Road?

Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:23:54 AM »
Jimblob, obviously we don't know exactly what your complaint was, but it seems that you disapprove of the council spending money on pedestrian crossings or pavement improvements - or indeed, traffic calming ('unnecessary schemes'). 

That's your opinion, and you are fully entitled to it, but whether you like it or not, these matters are the responsibility of local authorities.  If we don't like the way our councillors are carrying out their duties, the solution is to vote for other candidates next time.  Or maybe you should stand for election yourself? 

Personally, if I lived on Chester Road Hazel Grove I'd be very pleased to have the traffic calming - people used to drive much too fast along there.    :o

jimblob

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
Having followed the Seventeen Windows blog with much interest I have just received my reply to the complaint I raised with Stockport MBC. Needless to say, my complaint is not upheld as committee decisions are final! Who's gonna stop out illustrious local authority wasting our money on unneccessary schemes to keep themselves in jobs. Traffic calming on Chester Road..... what a bargain we got there!