A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site  (Read 49598 times)

amazon

Re: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
Yes MIA reported this sometime back
The plans are that now the building is split in half Costa will have half the building and the other half is being actively  marketed.   Unless things have changed , but that's what MIA was informed by Coop head office nearly 3 months ago !

Hmm.. did MIA post that info on here? you'll have to show me where Miss M.

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find any mention of Costa taking 'Hanbury's' space.. or anyone tbf.

anyhow, the actual information is now provided, along with all plans/drawings etc.

Tricky In Action..   ;)august 4 . miss marple posted re hanburys site .

Marplemum

« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
A smaller supermarket would still provide some much needed competition to the Co-op.  I think some of the supporters of the 'no' campaign suggested a supermarket within the 'retail zone' in Marple although I don't know where as there isn't any obvious retail space large enough.  I don't think the Co-op could compete with another supermarket within the 'retail zone'  and potentially we could end up with yet another empty (and very prominent) retail space.  I would prefer to shop at a smaller tesco/sainsbury/asda etc rather than put up with the high prices and poof quality of the larger Co-op.

JMC

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
What is interesting from the Co-Op's point of view is that by splitting the large unit into two, one becoming the coffee shop and the other still available, they ensure that what is left is certainly not big enough to provide any competition for themselves.

I agree and that was my 1st thought when somebody posted that the Co-op were 'now listening' by letting half of it out. It's very half hearted. It's not really doing them any favours as surely they would prefer a smaller store as competition rather than a huge Asda (or whoever it is)?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
Whilst I don't object to another coffee shop I don't think it's something we really need as we have a number of good ones already. What is interesting from the Co-Op's point of view is that by splitting the large unit into two, one becoming the coffee shop and the other still available, they ensure that what is left is certainly not big enough to provide any competition for themselves.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2011, 10:57:24 AM »
Yes, but Starbucks is one of those retail organisations often cited negatively by the anti globalisation / anti capitalist lobby. Others would include the big 4 supermarkets but especially Tesco (due to it's buying power and perceived ethics) and Asda (due to the Walmart ownership), McDonalds, KFC etc. There are definite strong connotations with a Starbucks arriving in your town.

It's striking how far this message has seeped into the consciousness of many. You hear lots of people saying 'I'd not like a Tesco/Asda in Marple but an Aldi or a Waitrose would be great'. I don't get it personally...

Neither do I.  And the way these big firms are picked out for vilification seems quite arbitrary sometimes.  For example, Boots seems to hang on to its squeaky clean image, despite the fact that it is now owned by some international private equity set-up based in the tax haven of Zug in Switzerland.  I don't see many people protesting about that!   ;)

Henry_

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
The same, surely.  They both do a decent cup of coffee, after all.   :P

Yes, but Starbucks is one of those retail organisations often cited negatively by the anti globalisation / anti capitalist lobby. Others would include the big 4 supermarkets but especially Tesco (due to it's buying power and perceived ethics) and Asda (due to the Walmart ownership), McDonalds, KFC etc. There are definite strong connotations with a Starbucks arriving in your town.

It's striking how far this message has seeped into the consciousness of many. You hear lots of people saying 'I'd not like a Tesco/Asda in Marple but an Aldi or a Waitrose would be great'. I don't get it personally, nor do I care for expensive, fancy coffee - instant does me fine.

Anyway, we already have Britain's biggest retailer (by one measure) in Marple which is only a couple of doors down from Hanburys.

Harry

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
The only difference I can see is that Costa are a UK company (owned by Whitbread) and Starbucks are US.

Dave

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
The same, surely.  They both do a decent cup of coffee, after all.   :P

Henry_

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2011, 09:03:52 AM »
What would be the reaction if this was a Starbucks?

JMC

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »
I read it on here a while back (about half of Hanburys becoming a coffee shop), think it was Miss M but not 100%.

I think it is a good idea. There are quite a few coffee shops, but they often seem busy. I also agree that it is a good brand to bring to Marple and will be better than the empty shop.

Tricky

Re: Hanburys !! You heard it first from Marple in Action on the Forum!
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »
As we've now bumped this thread without any of the newly found information, and if it's alright,  I'll add it here too..

Here are the actual plans/details etc of the proposed Costa in the old Hanburys shop

http://tinyurl.com/3h524cc

meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
It's here !  :-*
I'd hardly class Costa as a Independent Cafe. Must be a big threat to the existing "Independent" cafes.

Let's not split hairs I never said I had a high IQ   ;D. Lol  :-*

jethroh65

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »
I'd hardly class Costa as a Independent Cafe. Must be a big threat to the existing "Independent" cafes.

Miss Marple

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:38 PM »
Yes MIA reported this sometime back
The plans are that now the building is split in half Costa will have half the building and the other half is being actively  marketed.   Unless things have changed , but that's what MIA was informed by Coop head office nearly 3 months ago !

Hmm.. did MIA post that info on here? you'll have to show me where Miss M.

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find any mention of Costa taking 'Hanbury's' space.. or anyone

anyhow, the actual information is now provided, along with all plans/drawings etc.

Tricky In Action..   ;
Sorry Tricky it was on a different thread under Hanburys you heard it first on the Web  :-*  What A TEAM ?

Miss Marple

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »