Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site  (Read 49693 times)

MCC Executive Committee

Hanburys (Co-op owned)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 04:12:57 PM »
The premises could be a number of "things" for the good of Marple, heritage, tourism, information etc., a good place to be at the entrance to the park.
We were informed, reported on these pages if our memory is still OK- just checking!- that "The Coop" intended to refurbish the premises after we complained that the site was deteriorating and looked run down.
We would have thought "the coop" would welcome some kind of interest concerning their lease - we will write to our "friendly local authority" to see if they would be willing to embark on a joint Marple Community/SMBC partnership for the good of Marple.
Could be a suitable place for the Oldknow plaque (Chris Eubank would want it on a plinth of course).
 ':O'

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Hanburys (Co-op owned)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2003, 06:22:54 PM »
Room for a Heritage Centre perhaps?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alan@marple

Hanburys (Co-op owned)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2003, 05:07:04 PM »
I rather suspect that the general consensus of public opinion toward a Wetherspoons drinking place would be " No Thanks".
There are enough facilities for social drinking in the town.

The Jolly Sailor and The Bowling green did not survive.

We have The Navigation, The Ringers, The Pineapple, The Bull,
The Otters and The Railway. Also we have the Con Club and the Forces club (the former legion)We have two Italian Restuarants,one Indian, one Chinese,three Indian take-aways,three chinese take- aways, one kebab take-away, one Spanish restaurant.There is is "The Edge" and "Brambles".

no more please!!!

Sorry Darren

More suggestions welcome,

Hanburys (Co-op owned)
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 12:30:55 AM »
The only thing that Hanburys looks as though it should become is a J.D. Wetherspoon pub. The building is ideal, as is it's location.. Come on, please Mr JD send out your site scouts and find us, as we really could do with an up to date, modern drinking establishment for those of us that are younger than 60!

alan@marple

Hanburys (Co-op owned)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 04:19:51 PM »
The other day I took a good look at the Hanburys (co-op) building, what a disgrace and indeed,as has been previously mentioned, an eysore.

Whilst the property may well be on the market, it appears to be in a delapidated state, the woodwork above the windows seems rotten, but I assume that there is no public safety issue here, as no doubt the owners estates manager and or the building inspectorate would have caused action to be taken.

The whitewash on the windows does little to enhance the buildings marketability,it looks like something out of a shanty town, come on Hanbury's, where is your civic pride, clean the place up

Deniseamb

Hanburys (Co-op owned)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 10:32:50 AM »
I keep eyeing that building up and thinking it would make rather a nice gym!!

Know what you mean about it becoming an eyesore.  It will also detract from the 'improvements' to the entrance to the park.

alastair

Hanburys (Co-op owned)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 04:46:22 PM »
Would suggest talking to a guy called Andy Settle at marple United Reformed Church OFFICE he is the local Schools worker and has some fantastic ideas and I had heard he was in touch with Coop re: that building for exactly that sort of venue!! All I can say is great minds etc etc

Co-Op and "Hanburys" site
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 03:41:20 PM »
The plea for a community centre at the Jolly Sailor came a cropper when it planning permission for the retirement homes was granted.

However, is anyone concerned about the eyesore that the ex Hanbury store (owned by Co-op) has become?  Obviously they will never let it to another store(M&S, Tesco or Sainsbury) to become a food outlet and as we have sufficient clothes shops we should be thankful that the proposed Peacock store came to nothing.   Marple does need a community centre of some kind, for the youth (the young have taken to the park), the middleaged and the old and it could well be that if we band together we could persuade the Co-op to lease it to the community at a peppercorn rent to fulfil a much required local need.

Feedback please?