Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site  (Read 49600 times)

JMC

Re: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
I agree that they need to rent it out. I know the nearby shops don't want a supermarket, and really understand that, but maybe it would be better than a superstore on Hibbert Lane? At some point there needs to be competition for the Co-op, even many NO people agree.

Shopping habbits have changed and the shops doing well are the bargain type of stores like Poundland, B&M/Aldi etc. Any of those would threaten current businesses also, it is unlikely to stay the same for years and years; nothing does. If you look at it another way, though, if someone doesn't have to do the trip to Stockport for certain things, they may spend more in Marple in other local shops. I know that when I have to go into Stockport, I often go into other stores. If I can get what I want in Marple, I prefer not to go any further and often have a nosey in other shops and end up buying from a few shops (but many things you can't get here-kids shoes etc).

Miss Marple

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »
Not much seems to be happening with the old Hanburys building even though the Coop said they were activly marketing it I think the Coop need to be realistic and stop hiding their head in the sand and get this building rented to someone.

Smithy166

Re: Hanburys !! You heard it first from Marple in Action on the Forum!
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »
Well if nothing else  MARPLE IN ACTION has been instrumental in putting pressure on to the coop to let the old Handburys be used.   So hot off the press is the news that the Coop head office have contacted me to say that the unit is now split into two and a new independant Cafe is to open soon in one half of the unit and the other half of the unit is being actively marketed.   TESCO, ASDA OR WHOEVER We have an alternative site to the college please contact the MARPLE IN ACTION HOT LINE  ;D

Hot Diggity Daffodil!
Atleast we know that the Co-Op is listening to MAR's cry.Now if only we could open ms cassidys ears...

Duke Fame

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
Blimey Duke !  Give us a chance ! we do have full time employment as well !  :D

As long as you don't rest on your laurels.

sooty2

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Well if nothing else  MARPLE IN ACTION has been instrumental in putting pressure on to the coop to let the old Handburys be used.   So hot off the press is the news that the Coop head office have contacted me to say that the unit is now split into two and a new independant Cafe is to open soon in one half of the unit and the other half of the unit is being actively marketed.   TESCO, ASDA OR WHOEVER We have an alternative site to the college please contact the MARPLE IN ACTION HOT LINE  ;D

Miss M, it wont wash with any prospective supermarket. The site just will not work, too close to the coop, no car park within a trolly push and now half the size.

The hope you have is to get M&co to move across to the site and for the M&Co + upstairs to be made available as retail space.
I think the last post by miss m was a tongue in cheek statement.Up and at em' Miss m.

Miss Marple

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
Blimey Duke !  Give us a chance ! we do have full time employment as well !  :D

Duke Fame

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »

Miss M, it wont wash with any prospective supermarket. The site just will not work, too close to the coop, no car park within a trolly push and now half the size.

The hope you have is to get M&co to move across to the site and for the M&Co + upstairs to be made available as retail space.

Miss Marple

Hanburys !! You heard it first from Marple in Action on the Forum!
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »

moonforest

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
A few years ago a firm (I think Peacocks) were going to open up where Hanbury's had been.  They even advertised for staff.  This suddenly disappeared - no idea why, but wonder if M & Co opposed it? 

I vaguely remember hearing this story, I had forgotten about it until I read your post! It seems that it is a cut-throat world out there when it comes to business, which underscores how vigorously we must fight this Tesco/Asda assault on our community!

Duke Fame

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »
Your right Barbara, I remember it also. I heard that M&Co were concerned about competition and as the co-op own both buildings said NOOOOOO to Peacocks

Marple could have literally become the worst dressed town in Britain if that happened.

Taurus

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »
Your right Barbara, I remember it also. I heard that M&Co were concerned about competition and as the co-op own both buildings said NOOOOOO to Peacocks

Barbara

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »
A few years ago a firm (I think Peacocks) were going to open up where Hanbury's had been.  They even advertised for staff.  This suddenly disappeared - no idea why, but wonder if M & Co opposed it? 

Taurus

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »
Wilsons was there when Hanburys was there. Wilsons do a good trade even with the co-op and Neals.

Harry

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »
I see that the last post from 2005, which appears to be from the Letting Agent's notice, has the clause:

USER RESTRICTION
No part of the property shall be used as a supermarket.

Looks like the Co-op are intent on keeping their stranglehold on Marple.

The earlier post suggests it was the surrounding shops that made that request. Fair enough, do Bargain Booze or the Fruit & Veg shop really want a supermarket there.

I can't see anything that suggests this. There is a suggestion that furniture and clothing would not be welcome by others. Obviously, nobody wants competition.

Duke Fame

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
I see that the last post from 2005, which appears to be from the Letting Agent's notice, has the clause:

USER RESTRICTION
No part of the property shall be used as a supermarket.

Looks like the Co-op are intent on keeping their stranglehold on Marple.

The earlier post suggests it was the surrounding shops that made that request. Fair enough, do Bargain Booze or the Fruit & Veg shop really want a supermarket there.