Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
July 26, 2014, 04:06:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Brabyns Preparatory School -Little Stars

Linked Events
  • ‘Pure fm’ Gig in the Park: September 11, 2010
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Pure fm’ Gig in Memorial Park [11 September]  (Read 3771 times)
knitaholic

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »

At 1.30pm when we were in the park the sound was very loud.  I have very good hearing which is a curse. The audience, such as it was, was standing very close to the stage so why did the music have to be so loud that it could be heard in Compstall.  I would not have come to the park if I had known what was going on.  The programme did say 3pm was the start time.

The concert could have been staged indoors.  Only those wanting to listen would be there and rain would not have been a problem.

I am not a bigot nor am I selfish.  I have been fighting a battle against thoughtless noise for most of my adult life, mostly to no avail. I was taught that 'silence is golden'.  It is certainly a rare commodity. 

How the guides taking people a walk along the canal made themselves heard is a complete mystery to me.
Deniseam

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »

I thought it was great.  It may have been sparseley attended due to the change in time and the weather which did take a turn for the worst.  What you have to think is that these events pull the community together.  There is a lot of stuff going on for older people in the community and it was nice to see something for younger people.  Great to see this stuff being organised.  Well done to the committee and other people taking part.
Dave

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »

I could hear the gig walking up the field path to Mellor Church, so it must have been pretty loud!  Shocked  If it happened frequently I might have some sympathy with knitaholic.  But it's a special event - if it only happens once a year then surely we can all go along with it, whether or not it's our kind of music.   
elpram

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »

I attended with the children (fortunately I know one of the artistes (a local man with a young family) so was aware of the change in time.  It was sparsely attended for the first couple of hours and a lot of people happening upon the happening (as it were) weren't aware of it at all so publicity needed to be a lot better.

However I thought it was great - no noisier for the area as a whole than the carnival - I live next the cricket club and whilst walking back home around 4.30 I couldn't hear the music. Must be all those lovely hills and valleys that we so love in this area that were channelling sound toward some folk!

Also it didn't go on late and was a one off so why anyone would want to slag off a community event is beyond me! Huh

I hope that the general increase in populace of the park ensured that any of those naughty dog walkers who don't scoop the poop were more inclined to do so ... still got some all over my pushchair wheels though  Angry
amazon

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »

which cricket club , compstall. marple. hawk green
Lisa Oldham
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 10:44:43 AM »

Its the first time this has been organised so you cant expect it to be perfect! Hopefully there will be one next year and hopefully they will make sure the timing is correct on all the festival information.

I think maybe the point has been missed.. We are a community where there are a few hard working individuals who are trying to make Marple a better place a more lively and interesting place for ALL ages... We don't want to be Southport!! WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FESTIVAL FORTNIGHT organised by those few people!! A bit of loudness whether it be music or otherwise once or twice a year is surely acceptable to all if i makes it a better place for all of us to live in... especially if its part of a festival which will bring trade tourism .. lots of people.. to Marple? 

Lots of ages at the park young, old, families... not everyones taste but brilliant at bringing everyone together as a community.

Music was good.. and bad... but it was great to be there even in the rain ( more empty gazebos next time maybe? )

Barbara

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »

Here, here - well said Lisa. Smiley
Just Saying!

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »

I would like to echo what Lisa has said.  I've lived in Marple for very nearly 40 years and I think that there have been many changes in that time, mostly good, but also some that are not so good.  Anything which brings together all generations of the community must be a good thing?  I would like to thank all those individuals who give up a lot of their own time (mostly/if not all voluntarily I expect) to organising these events.  Marple is a much better place to live these days, it seems to me as though there is a genuine community feel to the town again and we can all take pride in that. 

A little 'noise' for a couple of hours is no big deal - some people just hate to think of others having fun  Smiley 

I live down near Marple Tavern and we often hear the bands playing at the Ringers (depending which way the wind blows) - not my first choice of music, but it certainly isn't offensive and other people are enjoying it and its raising monies for good causes, so good luck to you.

What Marple needs are people who are prepared to support these events and help make them successful so that the younger generations feel part of a community and can join in.
Disgusted of Marple

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 08:51:07 PM »

I am not a bigot nor am I selfish.  I have been fighting a battle against thoughtless noise for most of my adult life, mostly to no avail. I was taught that 'silence is golden'.  It is certainly a rare commodity. 

With a wife and three young kids, I too feel like I’ve been fighting a battle against thoughtless noise for most of my adult life so I can sympathise. Along with “silence is golden”, how about “children should be seen and not heard” for another redundant ancient proverb you could use to justify your views?

I would also like to echo what Lisa has said but I've decided to keep it to myself in case someone complains it’s too loud.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite