A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Linked Events

• Vision for Marple Display: November 01, 2010 - November 06, 2010

Author Topic: A "Vision for Marple"  (Read 5610 times)

marveld

Re: A "Vision for Marple"
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
Here's a suggestion from me:

Just beyond the aqueduct, heading towards Romiley, there is a section of narrow towpath (opposite the wall that was rebuilt a few years ago). This section is muddy virtually all year round and many people therefore walk (with care!) along the retaining stones on the edge of the path (nearest to the canal).

This part of the canal may be classed as Romiley(?), but I consider ~100 metres of angled tarmac being welcomed by all who use the towpath. In my opinion, it's an improvement that is more important than creating a viewing area below the aqueduct or a new riverside walk. Could this suggestion be added to the Vision for Marple?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Vision for Marple Library Presentation, 1st - 6th November 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »
Vision for Marple Library Presentation, 1st - 6th November 2010

As a consequence of our extended consultation with British Waterways regarding the proposed development at Marple Wharf, Marple Civic Society has developed a 'Vision for Marple'.  We are now working in  partnership with Stockport MBC to develop the 'Vision' further and we are keen to seek public opinion and support.

The Vision identifies the enormous untapped potential of Marple, its canals and its associated history and heritage. The aim of the Vision is to develop and promote Marple encompassing all its places of interest and importance to local residents and visitors alike, and also to respond to the challenges and pressures facing Marple.

Marple Civic Society acknowledges the support, advice and ideas received from local societies in the preparation of this “Vision for Marple'. The next step is to develop it further through consultation with the people of Marple.

A poster presentation will be on display in Marple Library for one week from 1st - 6th November 2010. We hope to receive your views and suggestions for the Vision which you can post in the suggestion box. Better still come and discuss your ideas with us; we will be manning the presentation all day on Saturday 6th November 2010.

The success of the Vision depends on the support it attracts, particularly from the public, so please come along to view the posters in the Library and let us know if we are on the right track!

Many of the display photos were taken by Arthur Proctor; there will be an exhibition of Arthur Proctor's photographs on display in the library throughout the week.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Tiggy

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
The Toll House project for a visitors centre has been agreed in principle with British Waterways. Specific details have not yet been discussed.

alan@marple

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
What will be the proposals be for vehicular access to the Toll House Visitors centre, will it be by Church Lane/.Street or Lockside and what parking facilities will be permanently available?

Tiggy

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
The Vision for Marple was originally written to gain support from Stockport Council for our efforts to improve the BW proposals for Marple Wharf. The purpose of the document was to illustrate the strategic position of Marple Wharf within the Marple canal system, emphasise the Wharf's important heritage and historic value and highlight its potential for regeneration, tourism and recreation.

The document was presented to the SMBC Regeneration Team at a meeting in January 2010 and has since gained Council Executive approval. The next stage is to obtain the Marple councillors' endorsement and then mount a public consultation in conjunction with Stockport Council to inform the public and seek their views and suggestions.

The document is a vision not a plan and much work is required to turn the vision into reality. However, we have received many offers of help and support and after the consultation we will seek to form a plan with the Council to take the Vision forward. Already planning has started for the Aqueduct project as explained above and we have secured the Toll House at Top Lock for a visitors Centre.

We are grateful to the many society's and members of the community who have given their support, advice and ideas in the preparation of the Vision for Marple. We realise that the Vision is an ambitious project but believe it is possible by taking a collaborative approach and involving the community.

Please keep your ideas flowing and let us know what your vision is for Marple. If you can offer help in any way please contact me on vision@marple-uk.com

marveld

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »
Thanks Mark. The riverside walk - which side of the river would this be on? Has anyone at this early stage tried to navigate the route with a view to ascertaining how much work would be involved? I know there is a "path" from the canoe club (Marple Dale side) that runs back upstream along the river for several hundred yards. From memory, the terrain then gets pretty boggy and the riverside path peters out.

Going downstream from the canoe club to the weir on the Marple Dale side is a non-starter in my view, based on the terrain. If the path was on the Dale side, it would be most cost effective for walkers to use the road from the canoe club until they reached the existing riverside footpath at Marple Lower Dale Farm.

I welcome the funding to facilitate engineering repair works to the aqueduct. I also think it wouldn't cost a fortune to create a riverside viewing point. However, if I'm totally honest, as much as I'd like a new riverside walk, I would prefer to see additional money spent elsewhere, if that were possible. I'd like to see the work on the aqueduct balanced out with improvements for memorial park (for example). Riverside walks need maintaining and based on the prevalence of nettles, Japanese knotweed, brambles and Himalayan balsam along existing paths, I think there's already enough work to be done!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
The presentation to Stockport MBC Regeneration Team in January 2010 was a face-to-face presentation - since then a "Marple Canal Corridor" long term package of projects (2010-2013) has received Council Executive approval for development and access to Heritage Lottery Funding (HLF) - this is the response from SMBC and I believe the MCS were waiting for this before publication of the vision.

Development talks have already begun between SMBC, BW and MCS [these are the principle partners in the proposed Regeneration Committee] to refurbish Marple Aqueduct and create low level public access to enable viewing of this magnificent scheduled ancient monument. BW is making a £500,000 Heritage Lottery Funding bid for proposed engineering repair works. Also included in the project would be clearing of vegetation below the aqueduct and creation of a viewing point and picnic area below the aqueduct. There would also be a possibility of creating a riverside walk to link with the SEMMMS Bridge project at Chadkirk.

Councillor Sue Ingham has been briefed about the Vision for Marple and she is calling a meeting with the council members (councillors) for Marple wards north and south - this is another response from the council - but I don't know if that meeting has taken place yet.

The next step is to gain local endorsement for the project by contacting stakeholders, and community consultation in the form of a display in Marple. This is being organised in conjunction with Paul Hartley, Conservation and Heritage Team Manager at Stockport Council. I believe this is planned to take place during the Marple Festival to maximise the audience.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marveld

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »
The "Vision for Marple" document by Marple Civic Society is dated January 2010 and marked as a "Presentation to Stockport MBC".

Was there a face-to-face presentation or was the 'presentation' just the hand-over of the document in January?

Since the presentation, has there been any feedback / response from Stockport Council?

The end of the document reads; "Next steps: Form a partnership of interested organisations, principally Stockport MBC, British Waterways and Marple Civic Society to set up a Regeneration Committee to design, promote and deliver a Vision for Marple. The committee would co-op interested parties as required and would seek Heritage Lottery Funds and other sources of finance to assist in regenerating Marple to make it the 'Jewel in the Crown' of Stockport MBC."

Is there any info on the creation of the Regeneration Committee?

Mr Marple

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »
Having briefly read the document, it struck me the importance of keeping the historic element alive and for people to see in a secure, and possibly interactive, way.

I'm happy to see the mention of a museum, by gum we need one, which perfectly allows us to show what we, as Marple people, have and might be ables to do further with.

Given further thought, things can be taken further, again I haven't read all of the document so it may all be there.

I'm happy to help out with: documenting the progress if it goes ahead, any computing, woodland clearing and anything physical.

Jay

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:41 PM »
Looking at the recent pictures on the Virtual Tour I think we need to address the issue of All Saints grave yard. After taking a nettle, over grown, fenced off attempt of a walk through it I think we need to come to some kind of agreement like the friends of the park arrangement. It's an eye sore and a sorry state to the dead, many of which are past anyone remembering to care for them or know they are there.

I didn't make it to Samual's stone, I know it's in there but didn't want to try and find it due to the above hazzards, but I do think we should all try and put a bit of effort in and bring the place up to standards.

Anyone any ideas? I've a strimmer and an extention lead! If anyone involved in the church could put a thumb up it would be nice to see  :)

Deniseam

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »
It all seems like a great idea, I just worry that the constraints on budgets that all funding bodies are experiencing may scupper the plans.  Anyway, if anything does come off put me down for painting, woodland clearance etc.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
A "Vision for Marple"
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »
Arising from the consultations between Marple Civic Society and British Waterways regarding Marple Wharf, a more widespread "Vision for Marple" has started to be developed by the Society. I'm pleased to have been able to contribute to this vision, both as The Marple Website and as a representative of Friends of Marple Memorial Park. The "vision" now has Council Executive approval for development and access to Heritage Lottery Funding.

You can now read the "Vision for Marple" in full on the main site using www.marple-uk.com/vision

Your thoughts and suggests for further improvements will be welcomed by Marple Civic Society, as will your comments here in the forum on the projects proposed.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website