Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Shopping and Car Parks.  (Read 5808 times)

Harry

Re: Shopping and Car Parks.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 06:48:24 AM »
I don't think the Co-op ever issue a fine. Its Excel Parking Services Ltd that issues the fine.

jet

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
The Co-op do not own the car park .It is leased to them by The National Coal Board pension Scheme .The Coal Board  also own the Shops on the Hollins, which the car park was built for. If you park on this car park , you do not need to by a parking ticket ,if you shop on the Hollins.
The Co-Op can not issue a fine to anyone parking with out a ticket. Try it and ask the Question. ;)

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 10:28:45 AM »
I'm glad you quoted me Henrietta...I was starting to think I had posted a rant complaining about street parking and the rights of householders.   But after re-reading my post, I realised I hadn't, it was a just a simple and polite request!

Why? Just because of plain old community spirit, which Marple is lucky enough still to have, and the fact we are also lucky to have plenty of car parks, not to mention an expensively refurbished one incredibly close to the shops

Most Marple residents don't go in for the 'because there is a space outside this house, I'll use it because I can' attitude as they understand someone from any number of houses on that street could come home with children in the car/shopping etc.  However, each to their own.

I can assure you that there really wasn't any need for your final comment, I always say that a person who has a propensity for using italics, quoting legislation, and reminding everyone that they never complain....certainly isn't the complaining sort.  :)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »
But please be kind enough to use the many car parks in Marple and not blight those of us that live near the shops by using the 'unrestricted kerb-side parking'  ;)
Why? If there's a space you are clearly not using it. Householders have no automatic right to the road outside their house unless there is permit only  parking or if they have a designated disabled space.

It is an infringement of the Traffic Movement Act (2004) to park adjacent to a dropped kerb which gives access to private property but this applies not only to casual parkers but also to the owner of the land to which the dropped kerb gives access.

And before you ask, I don't complain about people parking outside my house.

marveld

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
At the Co-op there are two car park attendants employed by Excel (or something similar sounding!). There is a tall chap with a beard and a smaller Asian chap. The tall chap has worked on the car park ~1 year and has informed me he has never issued a parking ticket. The manager of the Co-op doesn't want his customers being fined, especially older folk who can forget to buy a 30p ticket. The attendant is obviously not on any commission, nor is he getting it in the neck off Excel that he hasn't issued a fine. Car registrations are taken and gentle reminder notes are given to motorists. Don't get me wrong, if a particular ticket-less car is constantly observed being left in the car park for extended periods, then a fine will be issued. Common sense seems to have prevailed.

Beyond the Co-op it's a different story. Don't park near the library without a ticket or straddle the white lines!!

Disgusted of Marple

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:35:55 PM »
In reality, it’s free to park at the co-op for 358 days a year. The chances of that bloke who checks the tickets putting down his Daily Star for ten minutes to do his job are pretty much zero, unless it’s during the one week in summer when it’s not raining in Marple.

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »
If there was not a charge on the car park you would never be able to get on it to go shopping - it would be full of all day parkers!

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »
But please be kind enough to use the many car parks in Marple and not blight those of us that live near the shops by using the 'unrestricted kerb-side parking'  ;)

alan@marple

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »
Well get on with it and enjoy

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »
Marple's lucky. I used to live in Tameside - no street parking and minimum of 50pence for a half hour in the carparks. Two hours in Marple for 30 pence is great value and as well as free parking in the Cattle Yard there is unrestricted kerb-side parking within a minute's walk of Market Street.

Belly

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
Surely a 20p car park charge in Marple for a couple of hours (if you must drive) is much better value than the cost of petrol to travel 20-30 minutes to Tesco et al. and back.

If you are going to make a cost comparison, at least compare all of the relevant costs.

The only free shoppers car park in Marple is the one furthest away from the shops, by the Vets and the Hatters, all the rest you have to pay to use, albeit you do get a refund at the Coop.

This can be difficult if you have a lot of shopping to do and have difficulty carrying and,  in many cases walking.

It is a similar situation in Marple Bridge, Romiley and especially Stockport.

So its good that, Tesco, Sainsburys ,M&S, Waitrose and Morrison's offer free parking for shoppers and all within a 15min. drive

I think this is something that the elected representatives should address in order to encourage people to support local traders.

For example, I would gladly pay on my Stockport Council Tax bill an annual fee of say £10-15 for the provision of a sticker to display on my car which would exempt me from contributing further to the cost of car park maintenance at any Stockport MBC car park.

Just a thought!

Neil Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
Does that mean you would like every one to pay extra on ther council tax for free parking even those wihout cars  
Just a thought!

But on the flip side, if you did not pay a little you may find you having to either a) buy a car or b) spend a lot of money on public transport getting to the nearest supermarket as all of Marple has closed (or even worse only be able to get a coffee or your nails done).

I kind of agree with parking charges but I do not agree with just putting it on your council tax.

alan@marple

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
Not at all Amazon, If I did not have a car then I would not need to have an exemption, so I would not have to pay!

amazon

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »

The only free shoppers car park in Marple is the one furthest away from the shops, by the Vets and the Hatters, all the rest you have to pay to use, albeit you do get a refund at the Coop.

This can be difficult if you have a lot of shopping to do and have difficulty carrying and,  in many cases walking.

It is a similar situation in Marple Bridge, Romiley and especially Stockport.

So its good that, Tesco, Sainsburys ,M&S, Waitrose and Morrison's offer free parking for shoppers and all within a 15min. drive

I think this is something that the elected representatives should address in order to encourage people to support local traders.

For example, I would gladly pay on my Stockport Council Tax bill an annual fee of say £10-15 for the provision of a sticker to display on my car which would exempt me from contributing further to the cost of car park maintenance at any Stockport MBC car park.

Does that mean you would like every one to pay extra on ther council tax for free parking even those wihout cars  
Just a thought!

heather

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
its a long walk up the hill to the shops........