A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Stockport full council meeting  (Read 3969 times)

alan@marple

Re: Stockport full council meeting
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »
Miss Marple,

please don't be unkind to OJ!, the electorate chose not to adopt him and I am sure you are happy with the high calibre of all your LD  councillors nothwithstanding the saga of the fence at Marple Bridge, the cost of which was borne by you, me and the rest of us!

With due regard to your anonimity, just what were the allegations made against you, was the apology from the council?

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »
We  appear to be very similar Olive as I too have had a professional set back, the allegations against me were fictitious and some what of a witch hunt.  I knew that I was not guilty of the allegations made against me so prepared a legal case, represented myself on a fifteen day hearing and won hands down  with a written apology.  My suggestion to you Oliver is if you feel aggrieved against what happened to you I suggest that you should continue to strive to clear your name.  I never once felt sorry for myself, I felt sorry for the people and the organisation that dared to try to ruin my career. It has made me a stronger person and more in tune with people who have also experienced harassment, bullying , discrimination and injustice all of which should be the very basic skills of any local councillor.  Go get them Oliver if you believe you were wronged  :-\

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »
The reason that is Miss Marple (and I understand that you were not aware of this before making the above comment) is that in late April to early May, a series of very serious changes occurred in my professional life that forced me to resign all but one of my interests in the local community. It is not a situation I am very happy with but we all have to do what we can to make ends meet as a priority.

The difference between current local councillors and I is that I would NEVER use local government allowances to subsidise my lifestyle and I would NEVER put myself forward if I felt unable to put in 110% for my electorate.

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »
Well Oliver I too, up until recently have  been ACTIVLEY!  involved in local politics, but feel that before you rip apart the local councillors you should firstly practice what you preach.  I have followed your threads with intrest on this site but sadly you appear to be able to 'talk the talk ' but sadly do not appear to be able to 'walk the walk'.   You have given lengthy rants on this site, promised to investigate this and that but have failed up to now to produce the goods.  In fact Oliver when I read your blog above I could have been forgiven for thinking you were describing yourself.  There is although one thing you have in your favour and that is the true credentials for  a local councillor  :o   Now as a councillor in the making have you any news for me ??? 

alison

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »
Anyway, back to my point! (I think seventeen windows is adquately covered elsewhere on the forum?!)

Does anyone else think that council meetings should be operated in a more professional manner, affording respect to the business of the meeting and not being used as an excuse to raise petty squabbles?

Alison

jet

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »
Well Said , Oliver
Hear hear!

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:40:56 PM »
You are not wrong or unjustified in your anger. I have attended many a Council meeting since becoming involved in local current affairs and from my very first meeting I was outraged at how out of touch and shockingly condescending towards ordinary people local councillors have been. They think and act as though what goes on in that Chamber and the Town Hall is so vitally important and that the politicking is a means to an end. It simply isn't true.

What matters in local government is listening to your community and residents. Listen to schools, community volunteer groups, residents associations, businessmen and women, religious groups, young people, old people - the list is endless. It is about seeing potholes, gullies, damaged street furniture and using your position to get it sorted.

Local government has a remit to the locality it serves and yet I have seen self-congratulatory motions debated for hours and hours on the Gurkhas, Iraq war, ID card etc. All the Stockport Borough political parties are responsible and should take a lead in changing this archaic local government culture of playing politics, claiming expenses and passing the book when it suits.

Rant over :)

alison

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
When I read the twitter account of this meeting I was disgusted to be quite honest.

If anyone at my workplace behaved in such a childish and obstructive way at a meeting we would be subject  to disciplinary action. In my opinion it is completely unacceptable that the councillors behave in a completely unprofessional way when performing their roles, mudslinging, ignoring the chair, using up valuable time with petty squabbles - its pathetic, and a real eye opener!

Alison

Jo Scarlett

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:23:49 PM »
I thought we had 3 for each ward:-

North Marple - Martin Candler, Andrew Bispham, Craig Wright
South Marple - Susan Ingham, Chris Baker, Shan Alexander

Why??????????????

bat man

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
Why do we have 2 councillers for each ward???

sgk

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
JenGWilliams -  Question from labour about how much cash the council has given to county

JenGWilliams -  DG says exact figure is commerically sensitive

Well, how about a rough figure for starters ?

alan@marple

Stockport full council meeting
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »

I thought the link below to the twitter report of the last council meeting was interesting albeit a resume`

I noted that complaints against councillors were not upheld, but against who and what for?

Why should it be "sensitive"- the answer to the question about how much Stockport MBC has given to County?
are we not advocating "transparency" in financial public affairs these days? after all it's our money!

http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/politics/s/1279836_replay_stockport_council_meeting