Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Footbridge over the Goyt  (Read 18980 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Footbridge over the Goyt
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
Monty Burton of Burton's clothes stores?  I think you meant Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery.

http://www.marple-uk.com/montgomery.htm

No they mean Monty Burton, local councillor, carnival chairman, community council chairman and railway enthusiast. Go to the main site and search for Monty Burton.

I third this nomination byw.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »

thebigshed

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Monty Burton of Burton's clothes stores?  I think you meant Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery.

http://www.marple-uk.com/montgomery.htm

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »
I ll 2nd monty Burton!

Harry

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »
Samuel Oldknow. As he did more for Marple than anyone else I can think of.

bluebelly

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
me...

Barbara

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »
Fred Perry

finetimefontaine

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 12:35:26 AM »

Danny Bergara.

thebigshed

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »
Mike Yarwood

Miss Marple

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »
Monty Burton ?

marveld

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
Work is starting on a new multi-use bridge over the River Goyt linking Marple, Bredbury Green and Romiley, and linking to local and national trails. Work starts on the new bridge on 5th March and is expected to take 14 weeks.

Info here:

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/newsroom/stockportsnewbridge?view=Standard

An interesting bit: Over the next few weeks, people will be asked to vote for their favourite local figures whose metal portraits will be placed next to the bridge.

Anyone got any ideas for favourite local figures? ("Big Issue!!?" lol)

marpudlian

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »
I supported this proposal before but it really does seem a waste of money - it will benefit very very few people.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
The Civic Society have sent me some information about this to put on the site, infact (apologies to MCS) they sent it a good few days ago and I overlooked it. Basically, this is the information sent by SMBC to local residents near to the site:

To The Current Owner / Occupier
Date: 18th October 2011
My Ref : 08/881/BW/001/LJ
Lee Jamison
Engineering Services,
1st Floor, Fred Perry House
Direct line: 0161 474 4957
Fax: 0161 476 0721

email: l.jamison@stockport.gov.uk

Dear Sir / Madam,

Contract – Chadkirk Bridleway Construction, Marple, Stockport

Stockport Council will be completing an upgrade of the existing Public Right of Way which runs
between Hill Top Drive and the proposed Chadkirk Bridge crossing of the River Goyt to bridleway satus
(see attached plan). The path works will commence on the 24th October 2011 and are anticipated to last
for 23-weeks. To provide appropriate welfare facilities and a storage area a site compound will be set up
within the grassed area at the end of Hill Top Drive. This area will be restored to its original condition
after the completion of the works. The approach paths will be closed from Hill Top Drive, Otterspool
Road and the Dale Farm river side path for the duration of the works. To facilitate access to the work
site it will not be possible to park vehicles along the unsurfaced part of Hill Top Drive adjacent to the
school.
If you would like any further information regarding the above works then please contact me on the
number above.

Yours faithfully

Lee Jamison
Structures Engineer
Enc. Route Plan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

thebigshed

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
I don't know about 'only' 280k that's my tax contribution for over 30 years to contribute to a bridge that will never get used.

Or put another way, about £1.70 for every person who lives in Stockport Metropolitan Borough.

Duke Fame

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:54 AM »
I don't know about 'only' 280k that's my tax contribution for over 30 years to contribute to a bridge that will never get used.

I'm sure it will get used, people probably said the same about the Middlewood Way when that was first suggested. Come on Duke get out of your car and in the words of Norman "Get on your bike"
Victor M, I do get on my bike, most days in fact but I’m not going to go out of my way to use a bridge that will add 5-10 mins to my commute. I can’t see many who bother to get out of the car to bike into Stokport / Manchester willing to make a detour to use a bridge.

That's sloppy, Duke, although I suspect you posted without really thinking about it. You can't choose where your taxes are used. Otherwise, childless people wouldn't pay for schools or childcare, pacifists wouldn't pay for the armed forces etc. You can only choose where your taxes go by looking at the policies of the people standing for election. Even then, it's very very broad.
Howard,  The illustration of my taxes being used to pay for something I don’t want was not the point, I’m fully aware I can’t pick and choose how it’s spent except through the ballot box (that is why the market is always more democratic) . The point is that an earlier poster said that on first look the bridge seemed a waste of money but having seen it’s ‘only’ £270k and the funds come out of a non council fund. My issue is whether that’s funded from my council tax or income tax, it’s all money that has been taken away from me by one form or another and ‘only’ £270k is more than most people pay in income tax in a working lifetime which suggests it should be spent very carefully.