Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Footbridge over the Goyt  (Read 18990 times)

Howard

Re: Footbridge over the Goyt
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 10:23:24 AM »
I don't know about 'only' 280k that's my tax contribution for over 30 years to contribute to a bridge that will never get used.

That's sloppy, Duke, although I suspect you posted without really thinking about it. You can't choose where your taxes are used. Otherwise, childless people wouldn't pay for schools or childcare, pacifists wouldn't pay for the armed forces etc. You can only choose where your taxes go by looking at the policies of the people standing for election. Even then, it's very very broad.

Victor M

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »
I don't know about 'only' 280k that's my tax contribution for over 30 years to contribute to a bridge that will never get used.

I'm sure it will get used, people probably said the same about the Middlewood Way when that was first suggested. Come on Duke get out of your car and in the words of Norman "Get on your bike"

Duke Fame

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »
At first I thought it was a waste of monry but it will only cost 280k and isn't council money so it's not too bad.

I expect the vast majority of Marple residents are unaware of the route so I wonder how often it will be used?

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »
Cant imagine them doing much work on Dale road down to lower dale farm.  The footpath is the councils responsibility but the road is not but both are the same!! From what I've heard from the landowner the council are being less than cooperative at helping sort it out! And yes i appreciate that the onus is on the landowner to make the road drivable.. ( not walkable!)  However when theres no money to do a huge job like that.. and there are multiple users to the road rather than just residential traffic... and its part of a public right of way/pathway/cycle route the council should help. 

in my opinion  :D

rsh

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 04:32:38 AM »
The cycle route goes nowhere but around in a circle. I really hate this sort of money being wasted.
Which cycle route is that? The point of this footbridge is to provide another (better?) route to Romiley, Bredbury and Stockport, extending Middlewood Way (Route 55) to link up with the Transpennine Trail at Reddish Vale.

What are these works at Hill Top Drive? Has the Dale Road route been abandoned?

Duke Fame

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »
This was mentioned at The Area Committee meeting tonight

It's good to hear they are on my wavelength

Miss Marple

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 11:40:09 PM »
This was mentioned at The Area Committee meeting tonight

Duke Fame

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:28 PM »
The cycle route goes nowhere but around in a circle. I really hate this sort of money being wasted.

marveld

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
Is there a planning application for this work? I can't find it but perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Is this the application that covers the tree felling/pruning that is being done now?  DC/048089  "Various works to trees situated within the woodland".  There appear to be no further details on the application!

Planning link here: http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov

The Easting/Northing: 394390/389284 on the DC/048089 application points to this location: http://tinyurl.com/5sutlo6

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
Is there a planning application for this work? I can't find it but perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing.

As of today, the footpath around the perimeter of Marple Hall School will be closed to the public. A compound for the works is being set up in front of the Marple Hall ruins. Appropriate signs are being placed at the other end of the path near Marple Garden Centre. There is currently no access to the river Goyt as tree felling in is progress.

According to the site supervisor I spoke to, this phase of work is scheduled to last for 23 weeks. By the river, path improvements for the new bridleway will be performed up to the weir where the new bridge is to be constructed. No work will be carried out on the section between the weir and Marple Dale Farm. This is planned for a later stage.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

tonyjones

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
This raises several questions.

Are they providing an alternative path between Marple Hall and Otterspool?

Are the grounds of the old Marpe Hall being suitably protcted as this land was given to the people of Marple.

Where do people now walk their dogs.

And I am sure there will be others !

marveld

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
As of today, the footpath around the perimeter of Marple Hall School will be closed to the public. A compound for the works is being set up in front of the Marple Hall ruins. Appropriate signs are being placed at the other end of the path near Marple Garden Centre. There is currently no access to the river Goyt as tree felling in is progress.

According to the site supervisor I spoke to, this phase of work is scheduled to last for 23 weeks. By the river, path improvements for the new bridleway will be performed up to the weir where the new bridge is to be constructed. No work will be carried out on the section between the weir and Marple Dale Farm. This is planned for a later stage.

marveld

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »
Latest News:  I have been in touch again with Alex Bremner, Senior Structures Engineer and can pass this info on:

"The dates I provided have now slipped due to planning conditions being imposed for the presence of greater crested newts which required us to obtain a licence from Natural England.  We then didn’t have time to complete the works in the river before the brown trout spawning season commenced on the 30th September.  We publicised this change at the recent Chadkirk Festival and our partners Sustrans are happy with the revised dates which are now, March/April 2012 access preparation works, then the river works with the bridge being installed towards the end of July.  I apologise for this delay but we have to work in accordance with the regulations and only had a short window for working within the river this year due to the planning process.  If you require any further information please let me know."

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »

That bridleway was fully resurfaced back in August 2003. At the time I said that it had been badly done and wouldn't last very long, but Stockport Council insisted that it was all done to the relevant standards and highest quality. It lasted about 18 months at most before it began to break up, and within 3 years you couldn't tell any work had been done, expect for the large piles of gravel accumulating at the bottom.
Hmm. As it's a bridleway it has, by definition, to be suitable for horses and this definitely sounds as if it isn't. In fact to this horsewoman of nearly 58 summers (and winters) riding experience it sounds downright dangerous.

Mind you, Stockport have never been noted for being horse-friendly. For some time, despite regular complaints from Stockport East Area Bridleways Association, they had been resurfacing roads with an extremely slippery compound which was lethal for metal shod hooves even at a walk. (And horses do have a right of way on the highway, in fact some main roads and side roads in the borough are also bridleways, so don't start with the horses shouldn't be on the road argument, thank you.)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »
The route is basically along Marple Dale until the weir, see this link: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4301920

Or the Marple Dale Walk pdf: http://www.marple-uk.com/walks/marple_dale.pdf

On the latter it is between points 3 and 5. Not sure where it goes after crossing the new bridge at the weir.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website