All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Date Stone - Shirley Avenue  (Read 6973 times)

marveld

Re: Date Stone - Shirley Avenue
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »
Could be Tony! George Etchells features in this document. If someone could locate a death date in 1702 this would provide a strong(er) case!

http://www.archive.org/stream/recordsociety11recouoft/recordsociety11recouoft_djvu.txt

"4th James II., 1688. Mich., No. 45.  GEORGE ETCHELLS versus HUGH BOOTH, HENRY COTTRELL, WM. COTTRELL. Bargain and sale of lands in Marple (Chester), formerly in the possession of Alice Booth (defendant's mother)."

tonyjones

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
G E may be George Etchells.

Several George Etchells' were christened in the late 1600 at St. Mary's in Disley, and in 1672 Geo. Etchells was added to the list of people who owned land in Marple.

the rover

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:20 AM »
Brindley Avenue was built before Shirley Avenue because my family lived there for a short while until Shirley Avenue was finished. My grandparents had 10 children and the council eventually gave them 2 adjoining semis on Shirley Avenue so that they had 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. When my father married my mother after 8 of the other children had grown up and flown the nest they moved into one of the semis (Council House) in which I grew up. I eventually got married and moved out but moved back in with my father in the 80's and bought the house from the council under Maggie's "Right to Buy" and I have lived in the house ever since. My own family are now growing up in this house that nobody but my family has lived in for 75 years since it was built.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »
The houses on Shirley avenue were built before WW2  1934/35 Ray.

tonyjones

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:32:13 PM »
There was certainly a lot of houses being built in Marple in the 1930s but I was not aware that councils were building houses at this time.Was it Marple U D C or Manchester?

the rover

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
Reply to Tonyjones.

My family lived in a pair of semi's on Shirley Avenue from about 1935 when they were  constructed as Council Houses and I still live in one of the same semi's.

Peace Farm was where the Texeco station is now and Norbury Smithy was where the flats are next to the Rolling Pin.

tonyjones

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
Sir Edward Stanley, having no male heirs, sold the manors of Wibersleigh and Marple in the early 1600's.
The ownerships of these manors over the next 150 years is unknown but I have a note from somewhere that one of the landowners was a George Elliot. What he owned and when is not known.

Shirley Avenue was named after Martha Rowbatham 1822 - 1893, who married Thomas Shirley in 1842. The 1881 census shows her aged 59, and innkeeper and farmer with 14 acres. The Inn was the Jolly Sailor.

The houses on Shirley Avenue were not built until the 1950s !

marveld

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
According to http://www.rocinante.demon.co.uk/klhg/tullkirk/tull2.htm

"An upside down heart normally signifies death and is similar to the mortality emblem of the heart pieced by Death's dart."

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Date Stone - Shirley Avenue
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:02:52 AM »
This image of a date stone from a garden on Shirley Avenue has been passed on by Marple Local Hostory Society. Can any of you history buffs out there shed any light on where this might be from? Or the meaning of the upside-down heart symbol?

There are no clues to the initials GE or IGE on the 1836-51 Tithe Maps (http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx) but 1702 is considerably earlier than these.

The fields on which Shirley Avenue was built were all owned by the Bradshaw Isherwoods and it is obviously close to the sites of Norbury Smithy and Peace Farm, so it is probably something to do with these but it would be nice to establish a real link.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website