Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: New railway footbridge  (Read 2311 times)

Dave

Re: New railway footbridge
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:23:06 AM »
Maybe it will be when they get round to opening that incredibly grand public loo which as far as I know has never actually been used.  What a waste of money that was   :o

amazon

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
The one at marple station is suposed to be replaced with one with a disabled acess . and that one is goingto peak rail .dont know when .

Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
I think you're right about it originally being an old farm track, nbt - hence the width of the bridge, although as it has shrunk to being merely a footpath now, I don't see why they had to replace the old bridge with one of the same width.

As for the reason for replacement, I suspect SMBC may have asked Railtrack to do it - I and others have in the past alerted the Council to the decaying condition of the old bridge, as it is on a public right of way. 

nbt

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:00:19 AM »
I noticed the path had been closed but wasn't sure what they were doing: I had thought it was part of a wider programmer of trackside maintenance, as they seem to be working their way towards Manchester, they were working above Lakes Road yesterday.

The previous bridge was actually easily wide enough for a horse and cart, the path seems to be an old farm trail but I don't think it has even been used by motor vehicles. Perhaps the bridge was replaced as the removal of the vegetation interfered with the foundations?
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Dave

New railway footbridge
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:24 AM »
Anyone who walks, cycles or rides their horse along the Goyt Valley will have noticed the signs of work taking place for the last couple of months, on the railway line near Windybottom Farm.  Railtrack have been replacing the old footbridge where the path up from the river to the golf course crosses the railway behind Strawberry Hill.   

The work is now finished, and you can now use the path once again.  If anyone fancies a walk now that spring has arrived at last, it's worth wandering up there to have a look.  It's the path that leads up from the river, between the railway viaduct and the Roman Bridge.

Railtrack have certainly done a good job, although it does seem a tad OTT - it's a huge steel structure with an asphalt surface, wide enough to take a car across!  Having seen the construction works going on, with a temporary road built near Windybottom, lots of heavy plant, and 24/7 security, I hate to think what it must have cost.   ::)