A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Junction Marple Road/Arkwright Road  (Read 3991 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Junction Marple Road/Arkwright Road
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
I hope I am mistaken but it looks like the Rec maybe  being used by a demolition firm which are in the process of demolishing a lovely old white house along Strines Road.  You can just make out the house with its two chimneys as you look to your right half way up Strines Road  heading to New Mills.  Outside the gate to the house it says ' site work entrance' and there appears to be nowhere in the vicinity to put the plant equipment required.  But like I said I maybe wrong confused or senile  :-\

marveld

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
I asked a workman a week ago what the site was for. It is indeed a temporary compound for improvements being made along Strines Road. I asked if any artefacts or anything of any historical significance had been located. Nothing has, and they've only done down 150mm (15 cms) into the ground.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:53 AM »
if its long term work surely its the best place to put the compound?  went past today.. its away from play area and at very end so.. cant see the problem with using it... better than on the road itself!

Deniseam

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
Thats a shame - I was hoping they were going to redevelop and relocate the play area.  The parking is so much better over that side.

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
Thanks Mark - we will watch with interest.  And I did mean Strines Road - you would think after nearly 40 years of living here I would know the names of the local roads!! :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:03 AM »
I was hoping someone else would know more than me but as you've had no other replies I'll add what I do know. I was phoned by a gentleman who lives near there last week who had found my contact details after googling for the recreation ground.

He said that there is a lot of work to be done on Strines Road (12 months or more I think) and part of the recreation ground is to be used as a contractor's compound. He was under the impression that this kind of activity had been stopped in the past because the covenant when the Rec was given to the people of Marple in 1910 by Walter Hodgkinson forbids this kind of use.

I was able to give him a partial copy of the covenant for Memorial Park, which is probably similar, but I haven't seen the one for the Rec and suggested that he get in touch with Marple Local History Society. If the compound disappears overnight you will know that he's been successful in getting it stopped.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Barbara

Junction Marple Road/Arkwright Road
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
Does anybody know what is happening on the green at this junction?  I noticed the ground surface had been cleared and fenced off.  Maybe they are improving the junction for turning into Arkwright when coming from New Mills?