Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Marple Regent Cinema Closing ????  (Read 7613 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Marple Regent Cinema Closing ????
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
Just noticed that Marple Cinema is showing 'A lonely Man' by Christopher Isherwood who is a descendant of the Bradshaw Isherwood's from Marple.  He was the chap who left Maple Hall to rot because he could not fund the upkeep of such a property and moved to America.  Ah well shame about the house but he writes a good book so if the film is anything like the book it will be fantastic!
Just noticed that I put a Lonely Man and not a Single Man hope I have not confused anyone  :-\

Neil Smith

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »
I call it Marple pictures (maybe its an age thing) Others may know it as The Regent Cinema in Marple ???

Don't think its an age thing Miss Marple, I am 35 and know it as Marple pictures. You will never get better than Marple pictures all other ones eg Stockport or Belle Vue are way to commercial for me.

nbt

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the story of the film but the acting was great, and the cinematography and use of light were quite simply breathtaking
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »
Just noticed that Marple Cinema is showing 'A lonely Man' by Christopher Isherwood who is a descendant of the Bradshaw Isherwood's from Marple.  He was the chap who left Maple Hall to rot because he could not fund the upkeep of such a property and moved to America.  Ah well shame about the house but he writes a good book so if the film is anything like the book it will be fantastic!

maronbf3

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:08 PM »
The Regent Cinema, the wine bar next door, Edel Carpets which was Vernon's furnishings and Undertakers, the old Co-op buildings now Helen Wintersons and the shop next door, which was the Co-op shoe department, were all owned by a chap called Travis. He at one time lived in Ashton-under-Lyne, then moved to Fylde Coast. As far as I know he still owns all of them.

amazon

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
There is an article in the free magazine "the beacon" that includes an interview with David Lillis, of Marple's Regent Cinema. It's very positive, in that it it talks about the history, that next year it will go digital and ends by saying that is "a certain sign The Regent is here to stay and will continue to entertainment (sic) for further generations to come."

I do hope that is true. I spoke briefly to Mr. Lillis during our Friends of the Park task day, week before last, when we were working on the shrub beds near the cinema. Whilst he did confirm that retirement is on the cards he wasn't able to say what might be happening to the cinema yet as he was uncertain himself. So yes, watch this space indeed, and keep your ears to the ground too!
                                                    I think his brother peter owns the property .used to drive for smiths coaches

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
There is an article in the free magazine "the beacon" that includes an interview with David Lillis, of Marple's Regent Cinema. It's very positive, in that it it talks about the history, that next year it will go digital and ends by saying that is "a certain sign The Regent is here to stay and will continue to entertainment (sic) for further generations to come."

I do hope that is true. I spoke briefly to Mr. Lillis during our Friends of the Park task day, week before last, when we were working on the shrub beds near the cinema. Whilst he did confirm that retirement is on the cards he wasn't able to say what might be happening to the cinema yet as he was uncertain himself. So yes, watch this space indeed, and keep your ears to the ground too!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Basementlife

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »
Community cinema ?
However "a camel is a horse designed by a committee"

bat man

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
Watch this space..... :P

Mr Marple

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
I reckon someone will continue running the Regent, too much history to let it go to waste, someone younger or at least creative.

Miss Marple

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
I call it Marple pictures (maybe its an age thing) Others may know it as The Regent Cinema in Marple ???

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
Much more significant than that - Miss Marple means the Regent Cinema. I did hear that the owner is retiring, so it may be true. It will be very sad to see it go if it is correct.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marveld

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »
Can you please clarify what "Marple Pictures" is and where it is located. I'm guessing it's the picture framing business on Market Street, but I may be totally wrong (without walking up in the rain to check it out!).

Thanks.

Miss Marple

Marple Regent Cinema Closing ????
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Just heard  that the pictures in Marple is closing  ???  Hope its just a rumor ?  What would Mr Corbert say ???