Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Peak hour driving time to Manchester Royal Infirmary?  (Read 2594 times)

Taurus

Re: Peak hour driving time to Manchester Royal Infirmary?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »
Im currently a student at Manchester Metropolitan University Hollings Campus further down Oxford Road than the MRI. In my first year I was catching a 7am train from Marple to Piccadilly, then a tram down to Piccadilly Gardens then a bus down to the campus to get there for 9am lectures. It was costing me £20 a week train fare and £10 a week bus fare which is a lot of money for a student. I can remember sometimes walking the 3.5 miles from Piccadilly to the campus and it taking LESS time than getting the bus due to the volume of traffic on Oxford Road.

I ditched that method and started using bus only. Im now in final year and if I have a 9am lecture, I have to get a bus from Marple at 7am, then catch a number 42 from Stockport which goes all the way up Oxford Road and Im saving £20 a week. The traffic going into Stockport from Marple at 7am is very quiet but Stockport to Manchester gets busy around school run times. I think driving would only lessen the time slightly.

deluder

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
Thanks it is very helpful.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »
Hi Danny.  You are right to be sceptical of the AA and RAC driving times!

No doubt there will be a response from someone who actually does this commute.  I don't, but I used to work in central Manchester and travel in from Marple, and if I were doing what your girlfriend is contemplating (i.e. driving in) then I would be planning to leave home every morning about 07.45.

Another option would be to use the train.  There are frequent trains from Marple to Piccadilly, and then it's just a short bus journey to MRI.  The 08.09 from Marple would get her there in time.  Hope this helps.   

deluder

Peak hour driving time to Manchester Royal Infirmary?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:13:36 AM »
Dear people of Marple,

My partner is considering a job opportunity at Manchester Royal Infirmary.

Ideally we'd like to live in East Cheshire and commute into Manchester.

I was wondering if anyone can help us with a query?

What peak hour driving time can my girlfriend expect from Marple to Manchester Royal Infirmary (for a standard 9am start)?

A drive time of no more than 25 minutes is suggested by the AA's and RAC's online journey planners, but we doubt these estimates adequately allow for peak time congestion.

I appreciate you may not be able to help us with this query, so feel free to suggest another service that we might be able to contact with our question!

Thanks so much for your help!

Danny, Melbourne, Australia