Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: The Oddfellows  (Read 46006 times)

Cripes

Re: The Oddfellows
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:55 AM »
Interesting that they are closed Sunday evenings and all day Mondays and Tuesdays.  Maybe this reinforces the concern that they do not plan to run it like a proper pub? Still, it's early days, and let's hope they can make it work this time.   :P
Before they opened i did say wont last six months read post earlier [september 21st ]

I'm surprised that you want to draw attention to such a negative post, although alarmingly you seem quite proud. Let's hope they prove you wrong.

amazon

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »
Interesting that they are closed Sunday evenings and all day Mondays and Tuesdays.  Maybe this reinforces the concern that they do not plan to run it like a proper pub? Still, it's early days, and let's hope they can make it work this time.   :P
Before they opened i did say wont last six months read post earlier [september 21st ]

Dave

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
Interesting that they are closed Sunday evenings and all day Mondays and Tuesdays.  Maybe this reinforces the concern that they do not plan to run it like a proper pub? Still, it's early days, and let's hope they can make it work this time.   :P

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
The Oddies have been in touch and provided some new information for the web site pub guide:

http://www.marple-uk.com/pubguide/oddies.htm

I've asked them to let me know about the most important bit (the beer! )
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
Thanks noni - that's encouraging, and I'll take Mrs Dave there for a meal pretty soon.

There is a discretionary 10% service charge added which also includes any drinks taken as part of the meal (including beer). That is a bit naughty.
Agreed - but then what do you expect from an 'Ale House and Dining Room'......   ::)

noni mouse

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »
We tried the new Oddies last week and the set up is much improved. It no longer looks like Elton Johns boudoir. The menu is a little unadventurous but we expect that will improve over time as the kitchen gets up to speed. A couple of very positive aspects to report:
1. No 'pressure' on you to eat. If you just want a drink then you are made welcome.
2. We would have liked to see more fish choice (in fact any fish choice) on the menu but again we are sure that will come later
3. The Hare and Hounds chips are better at this stage and the H&H menu is more diverse.
4. There is a discretionary 10% service charge added which also includes any drinks taken as part of the meal (including beer). That is a bit naughty.
Overall it is very good and we wish them the best of luck and yes, we will be going back.

amazon

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 03:01:49 PM »
Cripes, the new Oddies may or may not turn out to be 'a great place to eat', but one thing is certain: if it's called an Ale House and Dining Room the beer will be over 3 quid a pint :-(

It's also in the wealthiest part of the area, I'd have thought with you politic, you'd have considered it a tax on the rich.
               They still wont pay 3 pound a pint no matter how rich you say they are in that area .

Dave

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2011, 10:30:11 AM »
I love it :-) Only you, Duke, could turn the price of a pint into a political debate!

Duke Fame

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
Cripes, the new Oddies may or may not turn out to be 'a great place to eat', but one thing is certain: if it's called an Ale House and Dining Room the beer will be over 3 quid a pint :-(

It's also in the wealthiest part of the area, I'd have thought with you politic, you'd have considered it a tax on the rich.

Dave

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »
Why cant you comment on the price, Dave ? Was someone else paying?

Sadly no, but it was a mixed round of beer and wine and I didn't bother to work out what each drink cost.  But my well-developed instinct for these matters, honed over years of beers, suggests that the Oddies pint is indeed above the £3 mark.

In other less fortunate parts of the country (for example London and the south-east), people would fall about laughing at the notion that £3 is too much for a pint!    But I still find it mildly distressing to have to pay that much in these more civilised parts.    :(

moorendman

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »
Yes, already got the T shirt from a visit on Saturday night. Phoenix Arizona, marstons, Bollington and Marble Brewery beers all available. Why cant you comment on the price, Dave ? Was someone else paying? As my wife is like the Quen as far as cash is concerned i can confirm that the more exotic real ales are priced in line with The Midland ( ie all over £3 ) apart from teh Marstons which is £2.90 i understand. A couple of acquaintances had eaten and all said the food was very good. All the owners were in and working hard to ensure everyone was being looked after.

Dave

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
The Oddies has reopened - it was about a week ago.  Haven't tried the food yet.  Had a drink there and the beer was good, and an interesting selection if you want a change from Robbies, Moorendman.   :P

Can't comment on the all-important issue of the price of a pint - I'll have to go back and check that (what a shame!).   :'(

moorendman

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 04:37:03 PM »
Busiest pub in the area at weekends is without doubt the Midland in Marple Bridge, the real ale in there this weekend ranged in price from £3.00 to £3.45. The things you have to do to have a change from Robbies !

Still, I'm sure that when Asda arrives, there will be some bargain beer in bottles to be had.

Dave

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »

moorendman

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »
The new owner is a local guy who has a family connection to Mark Hix, so that is probably the basis of the story.