Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: The Oddfellows  (Read 46293 times)

nbt

Re: The Oddfellows
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
I see the Lane Ends is also up for sale at a similar price
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

moorendman

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:49 AM »
Enterprise Inns have finally admitted defeat with teh Oddfellows. Its Freehold is now for sale at £245,000 ( or offers ) This is a bargain really-lets hope some experienced opearor sees it as such.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
I was fairly gentle with my comments after our visit back in February as I like people to make up their own minds but it doesn't make much difference now if it has closed anyway. We went that night because of the positive comments (about the beer) on here but it just wasn't up to scratch for what we were looking for, which was primarily well-kept real ale. The beer was just about acceptable but that was all. We were also a little disappointed that the the landlord came over to us (the only people in the pub at the time) and asked if we minded him putting some music on. We said that was fine if we would still be able to hear each other talk, so he put it on quietly - great. Shortly after he started playing the piano spasmodically and very loudly and drowned out both the music and our conversation  ???

I've also received some comments by email today from a person telling me that the Oddies has closed and that I need to update the pub guide. He goes on to say "Hopefully the next tenant will know how to run a pub! We really don't need another idiot who lays even the table closest to the bar with cutlery and white table cloths."

It's hard to please all the people all the time..........
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

moorendman

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
Yes it would appear that the pub has closed ( or at least Phil has left .....a year is up! ) Just to put in my twopennorth regarding some of the comments on this thread.

The first reason is undoubtedly the pubco ownership issue, every local closure is a pubco situation , Spring Gardens, Lane Ends, Norfolk Arms, Rock tavern and the Oddies

Secondly , Phil was a good chef but an amateur when it came to running the whole thing, the service was often shambolic and you cant afford that when you are trying to rebuild the business.

Thirdly , the area can certainly support a quality dining pub ( yes another one ) just because they are not eating in the Oddfellows does not mean that they are not eating out. They are on the train to Manchester, trying somewhere new in Heaton Moor, Disley or Glossop or even driving the 7 miles to Kettleshulme to pay homage to Robert Cloughley, the ex-owner of the Oddies pre Enterprise Inns. The Midland seems to do OK and their food comes in a refrigerated catering van and isn't bought in from a farmers market!!

Finally negative comments on websites don't put pubs out of business, indeed the Oddies had some great reviews on the Manchester Confidential web site: http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Pubs/The-Oddfellows-of-Mellor-review_16606.asp but word of mouth is very powerful and Marple/Mellor is not a massive place. I was interested to see that Mothering Sunday was a debacle as he seemed to have a full car park. Locals do support good places , the Hare and Hounds deserves all it's success, the Devvy still had plenty of custom but had started to get a little stale. The only changes seen  on the menu in the last couple of years were the prices.

Harry

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »
And the local area supports other pubs such as the Devvy and the Hare and Hounds very well. 

I think you'll find that the Devvy has recently changed hands because it wasn't doing well.

Dave

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
there were lot of negative comments that followed which would have likely dampened positive recommendations.
People tend to make negative comments for a reason.   Could it be that not everyone was so impressed?

I think it's a difficult think to get right & th eproblem is the local area couldn't support it
But the local area used to support it - what's changed?  And the local area supports other pubs such as the Devvy and the Hare and Hounds very well.   Maybe it's no coincidence that the two most recent casualties among local pubs, the Oddies and the Norfolk Arms, are both owned by huge 'pubcos', Enterprise Inns and Punch Taverns respectively.   

Duke Fame

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 10:39:01 PM »
As moorendman forecast last year:   

Recent tenants have lasted for as long as the Enterprise "Honeymoon" intro rents and barrel discounts last.

.....and no doubt that is what has happened yet again.  And I believe the government has recently relaxed the planning regulations covering change of use, which might allow Enterprise Inns to sell off the building for residential purposes?  (although it's hard to see it fetching much with no garden).  That would be a sad day.    :'(

To be honest, there has to be a change of use for pubs. Yes, we may rue the day for beutiful pubs like the oddies but there has been a sea change in attitude to drinking & going out. Pubs can't survive.

As i've said, when Phil was on form, his food was way above anything in the area but I think it's a difficult think to get right & th eproblem is the local area couldn't support it

Cripes

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »
I think that one of the reasons it may have failed is the lack of local people supporting the business, I posted earlier in this thread regarding our fab experiences there, however there were lot of negative comments that followed which would have likely dampened positive recommendations.

Dave

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
As moorendman forecast last year:   

Recent tenants have lasted for as long as the Enterprise "Honeymoon" intro rents and barrel discounts last.

.....and no doubt that is what has happened yet again.  And I believe the government has recently relaxed the planning regulations covering change of use, which might allow Enterprise Inns to sell off the building for residential purposes?  (although it's hard to see it fetching much with no garden).  That would be a sad day.    :'(

Harry

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
It was certainly closed when I passed yesterday afternoon. Can't say I'm surprised after hearing a report concerning the standard of service on Mothering Sunday.

Duke Fame

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
Sadly hear Oddfellows has closed, has anyone else heard anything similar?

It's a shame as Phil was producing some excellent food which in my own micro experience appeared to be the best around.

Duke Fame

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »
I distinctly remember it was £2.80 when I was last there three weeks ago.  Given that the Oddies needs to work hard to recapture some lost business, whacking the price up doesn't look like the smartest move just now  :-[

Had a wonderful pork belly last week with a bread & butter pudding that was out of this world. I'm not sure £3 is particually expensive for a pint now, as I drive 20p on a nice evening isn't so bad. Given the meal was only £10 a head for 2 courses including everything, it's really very reasonable.

Dave

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »
Went up to the Oddies last Friday night, the beer (TT Landlord) was reasonably presentable (not the best I've had) but was £3 a pint

I distinctly remember it was £2.80 when I was last there three weeks ago.  Given that the Oddies needs to work hard to recapture some lost business, whacking the price up doesn't look like the smartest move just now  :-[

Tricky

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 07:23:41 PM »
Keeps the riff-raff out  ;)

not been in for years!
meh

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
Went up to the Oddies last Friday night, the beer (TT Landlord) was reasonably presentable (not the best I've had) but was £3 a pint and £1.75 a half  :o , which perhaps explains why it was very quiet. It was ok but won't be rushing back soon.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website