Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Bowling Green Hotel, Norbury Smithy  (Read 6732 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Bowling Green Hotel, Norbury Smithy
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 08:45:47 AM »
Apologies for the delay Donald, here at last are those pictures I promised:

Let me know if you'd like larger copies send by email.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Egbert Mackereth

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 12:57:47 AM »
About, about....I'm always about Mr Webmaster! What I need to know Donald is who was your Gt. G/father and when was he landlord? Given a date we may even have a photo of the pub during his tenure.

Best Regards

Egbert

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 09:46:07 PM »
Hi Donald,

We recently took the link to the Bowling Green pub off the pub guide pages, however, the page is still on-line.  Click here to see it. As you will see the pub was knocked down in October 2001.

I took some photographs of the Bowler shortly before it was demolished. I'll dig them out and scan them - hopefully over the weekend - so watch this space.

I'm not sure if Egbert's about at the moment, but he'll be able to tell you more about the pub's history than I can - what was your grandfather's name? - there is a great book about our local pubs and there may be some details in it.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 09:26:07 PM »
I apologise indeed for sending my message without checking its spelling.  It should have read : I have traced my great grandfather back to ownership of the Bowling Green Hotel at the junction of Cross Lane and Station Road, Marple, but I see that the building has been demolished. Is anyone able to tell me when this happened, who the last owners were and where I might get a photograph of it.  I should be very grateful for any information at all.  

Donald Craig

egdc@btinternet.com

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 09:18:23 PM »
I have traced my great grandfather back to ownership of the Bolwing Green Inn, Norbury Smithy, at the junstion of Cross lane and Station Road, parple but I see the building has been demolished.  Is anyone able to tell me this happened, who the last owners were and where I might be likely to obtain a photograph of it ?  I should be very grateful, indeed.

Don Craig

egdc@btinternet.com