Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Roman Lakes  (Read 19751 times)

Dave

Roman Lakes
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 05:57:42 PM »
He was a remarkable old boy who lived there - for about 50 years I think, until he died quite recently. He once told me he'd moved out of Manchester to the countryside around 1950 for the sake of his health. It was a lifelong project, but I believe he didn't hold with borrowing money, so of course it was never completed. But the website may be a sign that things are starting to happen after all these years. I've always thought the potential of the Roman Lakes is fantastic, but it would need some serious investment, obviously, and to be honest, I rather like it as it is.  :)

Harry

Roman Lakes
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 08:44:43 AM »
Sounds feasible. But begs the question - Why?

Whoever owns it now has done an excellent marketing job at http://www.romanlakes.co.uk/ so why not invest some money and really make the place attractive and viable.

Anybody know ?

Jay

Roman Lakes
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 08:03:39 PM »
The story I've heard is that the old man that used to own Roman Lakes died during doing the place up and his sons never got it finished. Well that's the story I've been told, does anyone know diffrent?

Harry

Roman Lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 05:09:07 PM »
I had a stroll down to the Roman Lakes over the weekend and got to wondering why the buildings there were never finished.

The snack bar is in a building that looks like it has only been half completed, and it has looked that way for as long as I can remember. There is also another half built building behind it.

Does anybody know what the story is behind this? Did somebody with grand ideas plan something like a restaurant or cafe but run out of money before it was finished?